Folding Door Mirrors

Pommie5

Reaction score
I have just changed car to an October 2005 E320 CDI Avantgarde Estate V6 model.
On my last car a June 2005 E320 CDI Avantgarde Saloon S6, the door mirrors folded in automatically when I locked the car and opened out again when unlocked.

My current car does not fold in the mirrors on door locking and I can not find the menu to select / enable it. I can activate this function manually but want to have the same automatic operation.

I dont know if I have a malfunction or it is just not enabled or fitted.
Can anybody advise me

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Probably a STAR coding required.

Can you fold the mirrors using one touch on the button? Or do you have to keep the button pressed?

OP
P

Pommie5

Reaction score
They fold by just touching the button. I dont have to hold it in.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
STAR is the diagnostics system MB use to programe and interogate the car electronics. Whenever the car goes in for service / repair etc the dealerwill hook up the STAR computer and read off any fault codes stored on the car.

The same system can be used to enable latent options on the car (check my signature, Coding Modifications)

OP
P

Pommie5

Reaction score
So is this something that I can get done at my local Mercedez-Benz service centre ?.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
You can ask!

Some dealers will not entertain up-coding cars. But I think E class should have auto-folding mirrors. It was one of the excuses my dealer gave me for not enabling the feature on my car. It was class specific, i.e. E's have it C's do not!

I had my coding done by COMAND Ltd

OP
P

Pommie5

Reaction score
Thank you for your advice. I will see if my local MB service will do it.

bry220cdi

Reaction score
Please let us know what your dealer says about star coding the mirrors to fold when locking as MB Bolton will not do it !!

stumpy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
various
My sisters 05 E class fold automatically. The menu is reached by selecting the convenience menu using the steering wheel buttons

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
On my W211 the option is in the "Convenience Menu" on the dash. Scroll through or better still have a read of the owners manual as it is listed in there. Having said that mine is a face lift model so it maybe slightly different.
I do like the mirrors folding in check that the car is locked, as well as the steering wheel lifting out of the way when I take the key out.

s999sws

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E280 CDi, 2006
I think you will find that the auto folding option was removed when the 280/320 V6 was introduced. I have a 2006 E280CDi and when I enquired re auto folding , that was the advice I was given. Also, if you look in the handbooks for your model and for an earlier one, you will find autio folding mentioned in the early one and not in yours. It was accessible via the steering wheel menu on the front display.
regards
SWS

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
A150 manual, smart forTwo, W205 AMG line premium plus.
Auto folding can be enabled on pretty much any of the newer cars (Post late 2004) provided the door controllers support it. Some of the early W211's have door controllers that dont support it.

If you dont have it in the convenience menu then the only way to get it is to have it enabled in STAR;)

s999sws

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E280 CDi, 2006
Perhaps I was just given an excuse to get rid of me. I have just looked at the online handbook and it does show you how to auto fold. In my handbook there is no mention of it. I'm puzzled!
SWS

DougCLK320

Reaction score
I keep reading that ‘independents’ with STAR machines can enable this function (but only on cars where the mirrors fold from a “one touch” (not press and hold) on the dashboard switch.
It would be nice to hear from someone who has actually had this improvement done – and confirm that it works.
I assume, you must get another page added to the menu on the “comfort” section of the car’s user settings.
Doug

s999sws

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E280 CDi, 2006
Yes, my mirrors fold on one touch, I will phone the dealer on Monday and see what they say, it is still under the original warranty. I will report back after talking with them.
SWS

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
A150 manual, smart forTwo, W205 AMG line premium plus.
I keep reading that ‘independents’ with STAR machines can enable this function (but only on cars where the mirrors fold from a “one touch” (not press and hold) on the dashboard switch.
It would be nice to hear from someone who has actually had this improvement done – and confirm that it works.
I assume, you must get another page added to the menu on the “comfort” section of the car’s user settings.
Doug

I can absolutely assure you that it does work. We have done this mod to numerous cars for customers. It is all down to the door controllers and whether they support it or not. Yes it is an extra menu option so you can choose to enable or disable it at your leisure.

Cornering light function, fuel tank content, uk mode deletion, key dependencey can also be 'enabled' given the right controllers.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Doug

Yep, had it done. It definately works :cool:

Also had a few other "options" enabled, check my sig.

G

Geezer

I can absolutely assure you that it does work. We have done this mod to numerous cars for customers. It is all down to the door controllers and whether they support it or not. Yes it is an extra menu option so you can choose to enable or disable it at your leisure.

Cornering light function, fuel tank content, uk mode deletion, key dependencey can also be 'enabled' given the right controllers.

Can you tell what mods are possible given the VIN?

100%Bitch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
215 CL600, 216 Facelift CL500, 172 SLK55, Nissan Cube, R170 SLK230 & an Auto Trail Comanche.
Hows about this then?

My car doesn't have folding mirrors. There is no switch (there is a blank where the switch normally is) and I can't find anything on the convenience menu. How can such an expensive car not have folding mirrors? :confused:

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom