Ford’s BlueCruise assisted-driving technology - Problems?

NJS5

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 R230 SL350, 2016 Discovery 4 Landmark, 1973 MG B GT V8, 1959 MGA roadster.
Ford have announced its Blue Cruise assisted-driving technology for the UK, taking over acceleration, braking, lane positioning, and steering from the driver.

Quote:​

If the system detects that you are inattentive, warning messages will be displayed in the instrument cluster, followed by audio alerts, and brake activations, before the vehicle finally slows down while maintaining steering control.

This means that in an extreme case the car could come to a halt in the fast lane of a motorway as Blue Cruise does not steer from lane to lane!

Sounds like a disaster to me.
Whistle

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
The issue I see with these 'halfway' solutions is they take away the job the driver does but need the driver to stay alert. Pretty difficult to do on longer journeys if you have nothing to do.

OP
N

NJS5

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Agreed.

I think that BlueCruise should be able to steer safely to the slow lane & cruise to a safe stopping place, and maybe have a means of alerting the authorities using cell 'phone, and other drivers by turning on 4 way flashers, the moment the driver fails to respond.

Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen to me.
Whistle

NJSS

Last edited:

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Won't be going Anywhere near that. Next will be dreamliners with no f crew and a vending machine. Not often I thrilled to be 65+ this is sure one of those occasions. And when some Russian hacks the software. No thanks. Also I not sure I want to be on same part of motorway. Will the occupant of d, s seat be free to natter away on his mobile in such cars after all, technically he ain't the driver.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
If u can't be arxed to drive ur car. Get a train or a bike. Automated cars at 70+ on a motorway is in my view pure stupidity.

lewyboy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
I have something similar on the Volvo, Pilot Assist, I like it.

OP
N

NJS5

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Do these cars avoid the ever increasing and deepening potholes or drive straight through them?

My understanding is that they drive straight through puddles & potholes.

Another concern is that if you are driving behind a Blue Cruise assisted-driving vehicle and wish to overtake it won't move over, as it is not programmed to change lanes. I wonder whether it will even sense the car behind indicating that it wants to overtake ?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Edinburgh are having some self driving buses - with 2 crew... o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O
The normal buses only have 1... :rolleyes:

I'm guessing if they don't crash (too often) or kill (too many) then they'll remove the 2 crew

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
No it’s not stupidity, you need to be suckered into the hype, brain washed and realise it’s the best thing since sliced bread! Then you can be taken advantage of for various software add-ons such as the the ‘tail gaiting feature’ for an extra £5k etc. However, you retain the benefit of knowing you will remain fully liable at all times for all issues and accidents even if the computers are to blame

Self driving vehicles, it’s clever and entertaining but, that doesn’t mean it’s the best. The only good thing is that from the antics I see on the roads in this day and age, sadly a half arsed computer algorithm will sadly do a better job than most self righteous and dim witted humans.

It sad when driving, riding etc are skills and very special ones when you go to the next level of the various advanced, racing and stunt techniques. Imo all drivers should be encouraged and rewarded for their development and the likes of the reprobates who have no roadcraft, no care for it etc to be off the roads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

lewyboy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
My experience of such technology is that you still need to engage in the driving of the vehicle, I need to be touching the wheel either lightly all the time or every 20 seconds or so will do it. It's useless around town, much like normal cruise control is due to the amount of traffic and it doesn't recognise roundabouts as such so doesn't slow for them.
It doesn't change lanes on the motorway and you can be lulled into slowing more than you normally would when slower traffic in front forces you to reduce your own speed, as soon as you indicate and start pulling over the car will sense that there is nothing in front and will pull off smartly.
The major downside is that the car keeps a larger distance from the car in front which can often result in impatient twats flashing from behind or undertaking and filling the gap which can be a bit irritating, however, I can always accelerate and close the gap if I wish.
Passing lorries is an experience as the steering inputs take me a little closer that I would usually but I have learned to trust it.
It might be a licence saver if set to the speed limit.

We are on a European trip next month and will use it a lot so can report further if anyone is interested.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My experience of such technology is that you still need to engage in the driving of the vehicle, I need to be touching the wheel either lightly all the time or every 20 seconds or so will do it. It's useless around town, much like normal cruise control is due to the amount of traffic and it doesn't recognise roundabouts as such so doesn't slow for them.
It doesn't change lanes on the motorway and you can be lulled into slowing more than you normally would when slower traffic in front forces you to reduce your own speed, as soon as you indicate and start pulling over the car will sense that there is nothing in front and will pull off smartly.
The major downside is that the car keeps a larger distance from the car in front which can often result in impatient twats flashing from behind or undertaking and filling the gap which can be a bit irritating, however, I can always accelerate and close the gap if I wish.
Passing lorries is an experience as the steering inputs take me a little closer that I would usually but I have learned to trust it.
It might be a licence saver if set to the speed limit.

We are on a European trip next month and will use it a lot so can report further if anyone is interested.
UK roads and 12 Yr of the cons artists make that tech f dangerous. There will be less living to collect pensions.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
As far as I’m aware it’s only available as standard equipment on the Mustang E, not sure which other models have it as a cost option and apparently our EU friends aren’t embracing it at all (who wants to be a guinea pig game)

OP
N

NJS5

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It's only available on Fords Mustang Mach-E EV and costs £17.99 a month.

bladecrazy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
tesla model 3 performance /honda cd175/w123 300d gertrude.
Got full self drive on my wifes model 3 performance, she likes it i dont use it and never will.

lewyboy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
UK roads and 12 Yr of the cons artists make that tech f dangerous. There will be less living to collect pensions.
It may well be found to be dangerous but I don’t think it’s politically motivated

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom