Fuel consumption

clive williams

Reaction score
malcolm210 said:
Wow!! Blobcat/Clive.
I can't match figures like mid 40s, the best on mine for similar use is 41 ish with a very light foot (constant 70). Does this mean that things get better as the engine loosens up (presently 46K). The car has just nicely been serviced so I know that the maintenance is OK.

Hope to match your figs one day (assuming the the trip is accurate). I must check the accuracy of mine sometime with a brim to brim fill.

Malcolm,

The figures I get are given by the computer. I accept that they may not be accurate but judging by the distance/fuel gauge consumption reading then they are in the right ballpark. - The fuel gauge reading is reasonably accurate based on the amount I have to add to reach brim full each time.
The reason I can't normally check the manual figures is that the wife uses the car most times and is not methodical in recording mileage or fill amount. It is very rare that I am in control of the consecutive fills.
The other factor which may have a bearing is that it is fitted with a power box, which 'optimises' the fueling (read overfuels at points on the fuel map)

Clive

500E
E320CDIT210

Clive

MJW

Registered
Reaction score
EU4 to blame

Hi Everyone
Same problem for me - poor fuel consumption from C220CDI. Harrassed the dealer - did lots of tests, including new fuel pump (warranty recall), but no joy. He finally found an MB technical bulletin that fitted the symptoms exactly. Apparently, particulate filter on EU4 diesel engines fills up with particles. ECU purges it by burning them off with excess fuel every 4th start, which causes the fuel consumption to plummet and makes a nasty smell from the exhaust. Not sure how long the purge lasts, but if you only do short journeys like me (usually less than 10 miles) it really rubbishes the economy. I can get 38-40 otherwise, but during purge cycle drops to 25. Presumably this is a feature for all MB EU4 engines, not just 220.

MJW

NewMB

Reaction score
My new car returned exactly 40 mpg on the way back through Europe after the factory collection. Since then it has dropped a bit thanks to plenty of town driving only but last week a long run and it improved again.

Coming from a petrol turbo car, I am pretty amazed by the low consumption. Very happy that is!

ivegotcclass

Reaction score
I've just had my best tank, I got 440 miles out of the 55 or 60 litres that the tank takes and that was a mixture of town and motorway driving. Towards the end of the tank I really was running on 'vapour'. How far can you trust the predicted range display??

The car is also getting much faster as well and I'm really looking forward to some good dry roads in the spring and summer to have a good drive. I'm away for east up the west coast of Scotland and plan some fun.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
ivegotcclass said:
I've just had my best tank, I got 440 miles out of the 55 or 60 litres that the tank takes and that was a mixture of town and motorway driving. Towards the end of the tank I really was running on 'vapour'. How far can you trust the predicted range display??

I've taken mine down to 4 miles to go before filling up. The closer it gets to empty the more accurate it seems to be. When I fill up I usually get 'The Magnum' - 357 miles, then as the tank is used the miles go up into the 400's. According to the trip computer I should be able to get 600 miles out of my 65 ltr tank which is 42mpg. Most I have done before filling is 569miles.
Which 'C' have you got?

ivegotcclass

Reaction score
Blobcat said:
Which 'C' have you got?

C220 CDI.

The dealer said that fuel consumption would get better after 6k miles. I wonder if I got a good tank since the weather has got warmer and I'm not using heated seats, etc as much.

The trip computer was down to 3 miles then sat at 0 miles. It went between these two settings for about another 2 miles. At this point I switched off the heater fans totally, disconnected the iPod and took the phone out of the charger as I really wasn't sure what range I had.

NewMB

Reaction score
blassberg said:
hi NewMB - I get 31.2 average over 12000 miles

You have done 12000 miles already!

My average (according to the cars display) is 34.6 mpg so far. Motorway has improved to over 40 now. Very good I think.

psmart

Reaction score
...very interesting mpg figures. The family has a C220cdi Sequentronic 2003 and we can get some very high figures. Its a matter of pride when Im being ferried from North Leeds to Manchester Airport to see who can get the highest mpg, ~66mpg is the current best. This is a car with 3 people in, aircon off, and driving steadily and not above 60-65mph.

If you drive above 70mph, then the mpg drops rapidly, down to around 42 at 85mph.

nb. The highest figures are not returned in auto-mode, but manual-mode. This is because auto-mode 'hangs' onto gears for too long.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
psmart said:
...very interesting mpg figures. The family has a C220cdi Sequentronic 2003 and we can get some very high figures. Its a matter of pride when Im being ferried from North Leeds to Manchester Airport to see who can get the highest mpg, ~66mpg is the current best. This is a car with 3 people in, aircon off, and driving steadily and not above 60-65mph.

If you drive above 70mph, then the mpg drops rapidly, down to around 42 at 85mph.

nb. The highest figures are not returned in auto-mode, but manual-mode. This is because auto-mode 'hangs' onto gears for too long.

With the AC off what you make up for in fuel economy you will more than lose out in re-gassing and seal replacement.
Generally you use 25% more fuel travelling at 80 than 60. Who wants to sit on the M-Way at 60 though.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Blobcat said:
With the AC off what you make up for in fuel economy you will more than lose out in re-gassing and seal replacement.
Generally you use 25% more fuel travelling at 80 than 60. Who wants to sit on the M-Way at 60 though.

There is a huge difference between my turbo V70R and the MB SL. the Volvo will return 33 at a constant 65,go up to 75 and its down to 24.5, the non turbo SL is happy at 80 returning over 33mpg.
Re air con, I could not even think about turning it off, as blobcat says, it would take you 100 years to get back the difference in the cost of re gassing and using it, I even use it with the top off.
Re comment who wants to sit on the M way doing 60, I wish I could ask the people sitting in the middle lane.

Malcolm

psmart

Reaction score
television said:
Re air con, I could not even think about turning it off, as blobcat says, it would take you 100 years to get back the difference in the cost of re gassing and using it, I even use it with the top off.
Aircon is run at least once per month as we are aware of the re-gassing issue. Just the families way of cutting down on funding the government :(

the Volvo will return 33 at a constant 65,go up to 75 and its down to 24.5
The Volvo is a 'shooting brake' (estate), so it penetrates the air less cleanly than your SL, thus I assume herein lies the large economy drop. Possibly the Germans are also more advanced on engines, gearboxes and running gear.

Re comment who wants to sit on the M way doing 60, I wish I could ask the people sitting in the middle lane.
Damn, you've blown my cover, ok... I admit it, Ill go join middle laners anonymous :rolleyes:

thespirit3

Reaction score
Website
www.aruk.org.uk
04 Plate C220 CDI, Achieved 62MPG on a 90 mile drive, cruising between 60-70 90% motorway. I managed to take a photo of the dash when it hit 61mpg - but sadly not at 62 :(

thespirit3

Reaction score
Website
www.aruk.org.uk
ok, So I had just added some redex to the tank, aircon switched off, and the average speed shows ~50mph, *but* I'd previously been sat on A roads, and most of the economical driving was achieved on the M5 (commute from Dorchester to Bristol). The redex is cheating a little ;)

I normally get 30-40 mpg on town drives, and normally 49-54 mpg on motorway drives.

Attachments

• DSC00016-scaled.jpg
    DSC00016-scaled.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 36

Ultymate

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C230K Estate 1998
What is the issue with seals and re-gassing air con when it's not used as mentioned in the above posts? I've spent my working life as a mechanic but had little to do with air con as it's only become common in the UK fairly recently, so having just bought my C230K Estate I want to know the pros and cons of running with or without aircon thanks in anticipation
Brian

niva441

Reaction score
The seals dry out and leak when not used due to lack of lubrication. In a previous cars manual it says to make sure you use it approx 5 mins every couple of weeks.

JonFB

Reaction score
thespirit3 said:
I normally get 30-40 mpg on town drives, and normally 49-54 mpg on motorway drives.

I am :mrgreen: SO :mrgreen: envious :mrgreen:. I have a C200K and am still "coming to terms" with having 36mpg as my highest ever recorded mpg. I generally average 32mpg and that is with the auto gearbox permanently in Winter setting and with me driving like a grandpa.

I used to have a 1.9 diesal and so this is all quite a shock to me.

Enjoy your 60+mpg - I have certainly learnt a lesson and will know what I will be buying next time around :roll:.

It is still a gorgeous car but the weight of it (it is such a mission to stop the bugger) and the fuel comsumption are its overiding negatives - everything else is lush. (Am looking forward to giving the heated seats a severe bashing this winter :p.

Jon

thespirit3

Reaction score
Website
www.aruk.org.uk
It's a C220 CDI Classic Auto (no heated seats *cry*). It has about 45k on the clock - and I have no idea how the previous owner treated it.

60+ MPG isn't normal - and probably largely thanks to the Redex. 48-54MPG average for my normal motorway drive without any fuel additive. Although, I have found that fluctuating a little recently.

36mpg is ok for a 2 litre petrol car though - right? If I take the C220 CDI around town, my MPG drops inline with a petrol car (even worse maybe!) and diesel costs more per litre. So it's not all good news! Luckily most of my driving is spent commuting on open roads - so very little town driving.

:)

Top Bottom