Fuel in tank, but no start W213

w213probs

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w213 e220d
Hello All,

I come with another problem and another detailed thread. related to E220 W213 Diesel.

This time the problem is to do with fuel tank/pump. The screen shows 3 bars, and that there is diesel in the tank. However the car fails to start.

Xentry values show that there is low fuel in the RIGHT tank and 22Litres of fuel in the left tank. Screenshot with values attached.

What is the solution to this problem and how can this be fixed?

1706955094297.png

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
Sounds like fuel pump failure or power supply to the pump, check connections and if power is reaching pump replace.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

OP
W

w213probs

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w213 e220d
Sounds like fuel pump failure or power supply to the pump, check connections and if power is reaching pump replace.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
the pump has not failed because it works.

it works but only fuel from right side of the tank is used, the left one is as it is. see from image.

how easy / difficult is it to change the pump?

OP
W

w213probs

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w213 e220d
BUMP

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
I've not come across this problem on a 213 but on the previous 211 and 212 models the pumps in the tank used to venturi the fuel across the saddle. If one of the pumps failed, so did the venturi and in effect the vehicle used to run out of fuel when it couldnt scavange the tank any more.

Have you tested the actual fuel pressure from the tank? For example it needs 3.8 bar minumum delivery, the pump may still run but if its only pushing out 1.5bar it wont deliver the correct pressure...

OP
W

w213probs

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w213 e220d
I've not come across this problem on a 213 but on the previous 211 and 212 models the pumps in the tank used to venturi the fuel across the saddle. If one of the pumps failed, so did the venturi and in effect the vehicle used to run out of fuel when it couldnt scavange the tank any more.

Have you tested the actual fuel pressure from the tank? For example it needs 3.8 bar minumum delivery, the pump may still run but if its only pushing out 1.5bar it wont deliver the correct pressure...
Thank you for responding Steve, much appreciated.

checked with the ignition on, can see 4.7bar pressure.

1707141484536.png

OP
W

w213probs

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w213 e220d
Delivery pressure means that as long as the high pressure side is working it should start.

I assume the engine cranks but not firing?
Thats correct, the engine cranks but does not start.

When you fill in 5-7 litres then it starts as normal

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
Have you actually removed the pump/senders to see if you have fuel there? With 26L in the tank I'd expect the gauge to show more than 3 bars. It could be you have an incorrect sender reading and its actually just out of fuel?

In the days of the OM 646 we used to have this issue and it was down to venturi collapse in the tank not swirlling the fuel from the left side to the right side of the saddle. That was down to failure inside the senders.

OP
W

w213probs

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w213 e220d
Have you actually removed the pump/senders to see if you have fuel there? With 26L in the tank I'd expect the gauge to show more than 3 bars. It could be you have an incorrect sender reading and its actually just out of fuel?

In the days of the OM 646 we used to have this issue and it was down to venturi collapse in the tank not swirlling the fuel from the left side to the right side of the saddle. That was down to failure inside the senders.
No i did not remove the pump. To remove the pump its removing the tank. Not sure how easy/hard that is.

Its around 430-450 miles after which it does not start. This is city driving.

Normally i don’t wait for the fuel to go that low and fill when its half or 5-6 bars down. For 300-350 miles i put in around 33-36L of diesel. The capacity of the tank is 60L i believe.

The 26L in the tank is on the left side. The right sides gets fully empty. Some issue with fuel not moving from left to right.

Really want to get the tank out to see what could be wrong, not sure how hard is it on w213.

OP
W

w213probs

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w213 e220d
no more suggestions or ideas anyone?

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
Have you removed the pumps yet? You dont have to remove the tank to do so. You lift up the rear bench seats and access them from the service covers.

What switches the fuel across the saddle is the pump units themselves. There must be a fault with them.

OP
W

w213probs

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w213 e220d
Have you removed the pumps yet? You dont have to remove the tank to do so. You lift up the rear bench seats and access them from the service covers.

What switches the fuel across the saddle is the pump units themselves. There must be a fault with them.
is that for the w213 as well? 2017 e220d?

if so i will try to remove it over the weekend and see if it is accessible.

any images if possible?

regards,

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom