Fuel problem - Engine dies with 1/4 tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnie

Reaction score
Have a problem on a1991 G-wagen with a 300E petrol engine.

The car seems to run out of fuel before the tank is empty. (90 litre tank, Engine starts dieing when down to about 1/4 reading on gauge and it takes only 60 litres to re-fill tank.)

It had a new petrol pump fitted before purchase and since then the level sender unit has also been replaced.

Could it be that the Fuel feed and return lines on the tank are swapped around? Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

sunil sood

Reaction score
Fuel problem

did it have a new fuel filter as well?
if not, could be blocked?

white190

Reaction score
Website
hobbystage.net
Fuel problem

RE - Could it be that the Fuel feed and return lines on the tank are swapped around? Any ideas anyone?

you could be on to something there I have known that to happen ...

altreed

Reaction score
Fuel problem

I had a similar problem on my golf Gti, it turned out to be the fuel pump priming pump.  I had to replace the pump that picks up the fuel and primes the main fuel pump.  £30 later, sorted!!!

The device was where the fuel pickup pipe went into the top of the fuel tank, I unbolted it and replaced the little priming pump.

OP
A

Arnie

Reaction score
Fuel problem

Thanks,
looks like I'll have to investigate the fuel pumps and see exactly what has been replaced and how.

The pumps are under the rear wheel arch, outside the tank, so should be straightforward... I guess.

(Edited by Arnie at 6:16 pm on June 20, 2002)

Status
Not open for further replies.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom