GB Sticker

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
Had the same problem with the 968 cab, went into a motor factors and found a sticker with UK vertical and something else on it, cut the UK part off and stuck it on the LHS of my rear number plate. Drove from Calais to Bruges and back, on scenic routes and motorways, was not stopped anywhere for it! Cost about £1 for the sticker!

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 320TE, 1998 R129 SL500, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
I have driven all round Europe hundreds of times and never had a GB sticker or changed the headlights without any problem.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
I have a spare set of plates with Euro logos on, just swap them over

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
I actually bought a magnetic GB plate from the dealer only to find out that there were no body panels on a CL that it would adhere to.

So I just bought a cheap vinyl one from the local motor factors and placed it on the inside of the back window.

I've never had any trouble, but then as people here have said I doubt that anyone really checks, other than in Spain.

Christian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w205 AMG Edition, Panasonic washing machine :)
I've been driving into mainland Europe for many years and regularly to Paris. Never had a GB sticker or number plate type and never ever been questioned.
I remember the days when at the dockside we'd all be painting our headlights yellow with that stuff from out of a small bottle, planting black deflectors on the headlights, placing GB stickers yada yada yada. The Europeans make the laws and the good old Brits are the only ones who follow them.

60 euros fine in France for failing to display a GB sticker.

Crazycarb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1996 Jag XJ 3.2 , 2x Alfa spiders, 1X Alfa GTV V6 3.0.
60 euros fine in France for failing to display a GB sticker.

That could well be the case, but the French police don't give a toss about it nor many visitors. I drive to Paris at least 4 to 5 times a year, and have been doing so for at least 10 years, and no one including port police give a tuppeny toss.

Crazycarb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
To the best of my belief, the breathaliser bit never got through the courts and got shelved. If you were to buy one, don't buy it here.....rip off. They were a euro in the French supermkts.

Last edited:

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
If your driving through France forget about the GB sticker, here are 10 things to worry about lol:D

http://www.rac.co.uk/advice/car-knowledge/top-ten/top-10-tips-for-driving-through-france

My experience and that of friends based on extensive driving through Europe is that the campaign waged against the British motorist to comply with every strange national law by local police forces is largely made up by the AA/RAC/ ferry companies, etc as an opportunity to sell things and seem relevant. The only thing that seems to bother the police is if you have an attitude you can do what you like because your car is on foreign plates. Excessive speeding you wouldn´t do in England is an example of such behaviour whereas a little over the limit doesn´t seem to be deemed worth pulling you over.

The only useful point I would say is the strange driving practices. For example, i´ve found on the continent:

1. On a motorway indication to change lanes often means "i am pulling out, slow down" rather than "i intend to pull out" and in general you are expected to react and adjust to traffic flows and needs rather than just head on regardless because you have priority.

2. A flash of the lights (very rarely done) means im not stopping/dont get in my way, NOT as a way to cede priority

3. In cities a green traffic light often means green for straight on only. To turn left or right you have to give way to pedestrians/cyclists. The lights are also timed with less/no safety gap so green really does mean "go if safe to do so" and not "go". Flashing amber lights mean there could be pedestrians OR other traffic you have to give way.

4. In many urban areas the practice of bump parking is used and regardless of how nice your car is, it will be done even if you are in orr next to your car. You can argue about it all you like and while technically the law is as in the UK no-one will exchange insurance details and the police will not care so it will be pointless making a fuss.

All the above points are very easy to get used to and once adjusted to make for a nicer friendlier type of motoring, as long as you are always aware of what´s around.

Last edited:
OP
alexanderfoti

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
All the above points are very easy to get used to and once adjusted to make for a nicer friendlier type of motoring, as long as you are always aware of what´s around.

Thanks for that, very usefull post.

Crazycarb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I regularly bump park in Central Paris around the La Pigalle area. Everyone does it.

Top Bottom