GLE up my backside

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
I see the lens can be turned round to view the rear (or interior of the car) can't think it would be great the view out the back but no worse than what you can see in your rear view mirror.
It's doesn't seem to have all great reviews either.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
I have rear camera painted bright reflective gold, stuck on the rear window. It can't be missed.

Better an idiot in front of you than potential carnage behind. I always help idiots get passed if they're tailgating.

With squirting the guy, then braking, then accelerating when he looks like overtaking - judt give me your reg number - you'll go on my 'avoidence' list.

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
Obviously a poverty spec GLE without Distance Pilot Plus ;):rolleyes:

I had a white GLE on a 15 plate come right up my arse on the M54 on Saturday night as I was in lane 2 of 2 overtaking slower traffic. He must have known how close he was as my warning triangles in the rearview external mirrors illuminated illustrating he was too close, he must have had the red warning triangle illuminate on his dashboard, so he couldn't deny he was driving like a tw4t. I pulled over once my overtaking manoeuvre was complete for him to race up to the next car ahead, brake hard and sit up their arse too.

A little while later I was on the M42 where I had just illuminated an Audi A6 with no lights on that was in front of me, when the self same 15 plate GLE came up behind me and lit up my warning triangles. Again, once I had completed my manoeuvre and went left he raced off to a slow behind the next car ahead.

Further on, now on the M40 just after Warwick services, same 15 plate GLE came past me in the next right lane.

As I was approaching the exit for the A34, after passing Cherwell Valley services again the white 15 plate GLE passed me again.

I can only surmise he had a small bladder and had to keep racing to a convenience, then recover 'lost' time by driving like a tw4t to race to the next stop.

I too am too long in the tooth to entertain these tw4ts and let them pass. It really ain't worth the bother getting het up about it. Certainly brake testing is not the way to deal with them, just throttle back to give them room to overtake if you feel you must.

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have rear camera painted bright reflective gold, stuck on the rear window. It can't be missed.

Better an idiot in front of you than potential carnage behind. I always help idiots get passed if they're tailgating.

With squirting the guy, then braking, then accelerating when he looks like overtaking - judt give me your reg number - you'll go on my 'avoidence' list.

But I doubt you would be driving like that idiot! - reg is in profile ;)

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I can only surmise he had a small penis and had trouble finding it on his frequent toilet stops, and had to recover lost time by driving like a tw4t to race to the next stop.

Fixed that for you ;)

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

I had a white GLE on a 15 plate come right up my arse on the M54 on Saturday night as I was in lane 2 of 2 overtaking slower traffic. He must have known how close he was as my warning triangles in the rearview external mirrors illuminated illustrating he was too close, he must have had the red warning triangle illuminate on his dashboard, so he couldn't deny he was driving like a tw4t. I pulled over once my overtaking manoeuvre was complete for him to race up to the next car ahead, brake hard and sit up their arse too.

A little while later I was on the M42 where I had just illuminated an Audi A6 with no lights on that was in front of me, when the self same 15 plate GLE came up behind me and lit up my warning triangles. Again, once I had completed my manoeuvre and went left he raced off to a slow behind the next car ahead.

Further on, now on the M40 just after Warwick services, same 15 plate GLE came past me in the next right lane.

As I was approaching the exit for the A34, after passing Cherwell Valley services again the white 15 plate GLE passed me again.

I can only surmise he had a small bladder and had to keep racing to a convenience, then recover 'lost' time by driving like a tw4t to race to the next stop.

I too am too long in the tooth to entertain these tw4ts and let them pass. It really ain't worth the bother getting het up about it. Certainly brake testing is not the way to deal with them, just throttle back to give them room to overtake if you feel you must.
I'm not making excuses but, when I was on the road and a lot younger, I think I was either part of road rage or witnessing it every week, not difficult if you're on the M4, M5 and M25 a lot. I suppose because of this I became very defensive and didn't want to be the be the one to back down. I'm ok these days, well I thought I was. I was always reactive rather than the one being aggressive and trying to use intimidation to other road users.

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
Does the rear camera give good detail even though it is attached to the front of the car? If you can catch this on the camera and show the police, will they speak to the driver?

The rear view lens is a narrower angle than the front view lens and only provides a view through the rear window of the vehicle so estate cars will provide a superior field of view than a saloon or Coupe, passengers will be an obstacle! as will any accessory that encroaches on the glass, clarity is good and there are lots of examples on YT and you will notice the sample from Nextbase uses estate cars.
Dirty windows are a hindrance which is true for any internal camera and while you would definitely get a superior field of view from a rear mounted separate camera, I find the Duo adequate.
As long as you have a correct timestamp and the index number of the potential offender I would imagine the police would be eager if not obliged to speak to any offender.

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The rear view lens is a narrower angle than the front view lens and only provides a view through the rear window of the vehicle so estate cars will provide a superior field of view than a saloon or Coupe, passengers will be an obstacle! as will any accessory that encroaches on the glass, clarity is good and there are lots of examples on YT and you will notice the sample from Nextbase uses estate cars.
Dirty windows are a hindrance which is true for any internal camera and while you would definitely get a superior field of view from a rear mounted separate camera, I find the Duo adequate.
As long as you have a correct timestamp and the index number of the potential offender I would imagine the police would be eager if not obliged to speak to any offender.
Ok thanks Tony.

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004
I put my foot down and he had no choice to brake and move back into the correct lane. .

There a gazillion poor drivers in the world, best not to join them. Don't get angry in your car, you only endanger yourself and others. Even though you're annoyed by his driving, you probably don't think he/she should die in a ball of flames so don't increase the likelihood that will happen.

I've had an angry driver try to run me into the central reservation of the motorway at high speed, swerving violently from the middle lane. Such people are crazy and murderous. If you encounter madness, move away from it, do not engage.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
At the end of the day it is better to let those idiots by, it is better in my opinion to have them in front of you in your eyeline than to have them behind you where you have to keep taking your eye off the road ahead to see what they are doing. Once they are in front and gone they are no longer an irritation to you. :)

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks all, you do make a lot of sense, now to apply that to the road.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Thanks all, you do make a lot of sense, now to apply that to the road.
As I said earlier, it's easy sat here in front of a keyboard to do the right thing, you need to take the time to think about it on the road.

One thing I always think about is you've absolutely no idea what the other driver is dealing with, it's easy to call them idiots and muppets (I did repeatedly above...) but who knows what their mental state is, what life events they're having to deal with that's put them into the situation they're now in. Let them go, you're sat in a Mercedes, how much better does it get? :):D

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
As I said earlier, it's easy sat here in front of a keyboard to do the right thing, you need to take the time to think about it on the road.

One thing I always think about is you've absolutely no idea what the other driver is dealing with, it's easy to call them idiots and muppets (I did repeatedly above...) but who knows what their mental state is, what life events they're having to deal with that's put them into the situation they're now in. Let them go, you're sat in a Mercedes, how much better does it get? :):D
Sorry late to the party (as always!), but this ^ just makes sense- I’m also an IAM member, but there’s are times when the red mist seems to envelope anyone- just a matter of breathing and remembering..it’s only driving.....:rolleyes:

dry run

Reaction score
Website
kb-boatpark.co.uk
Your Mercedes
CLS 350d AMG LIne Premium Plus
I now have front and rear cameras hard wired to the car just in case - not sure if it's just perception, but I feel it has made me drive more safely :)

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.

He must have known how close he was as my warning triangles in the rearview external mirrors illuminated illustrating he was too close, h

Is that a new feature? Mine only illuminate when I start moving to change lanes and the system thinks there is a car in the way.....(blind spot assist). I've not seen or read that it is to warn cars behind that they are too close.

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
Is that a new feature? Mine only illuminate when I start moving to change lanes and the system thinks there is a car in the way.....(blind spot assist). I've not seen or read that it is to warn cars behind that they are too close.

It's part of the pre safe system. If it is fitted to the GLE in this instance of the thread, the driver would be aware of what my car was saying, provided of course they had rtfm or bovvered to learn about the systems on the car.

Readers of this now know what those orange triangles in the mirrors of the Mercedes in front mean.

Blind Spot Assist gives a red warning triangle in the respective mirror if there is something there, that then flashes and alerts via an audible warning should you attempt to pull into the path of the other vehicle

Tech advances. Holding a Driving Licence has constant learning attached to it.

Last edited:

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
It's part of the pre safe system. If it is fitted to the GLE in this instance of the thread, the driver would be aware of what my car was saying, provided of course they had rtfm or bovvered to learn about the systems on the car.

Readers of this now know what those orange triangles in the mirrors of the Mercedes in front mean.

Blind Spot Assist gives a red warning triangle in the respective mirror if there is something there, that then flashes and alerts via an audible warning should you attempt to pull into the path of the other vehicle

Tech advances. Holding a Driving Licence has constant learning attached to it.

Yep - I have all the pre-safe , advanced driver assist, distronic +, lane change assist, lane keeping, front end collision self braking, cross traffic braking, blah, blah bells and whistles. I bought everything that was available at the time.

If he was that close would he be able to see them (your wing mirrors)? Without doubt, his proximity warning would be bleeping at him.

Mine (wing mirror triangles) don't light up if a car is too close behind or maybe, it hasn't happened to me yet! I need to investigate.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom