1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GLK 220 CDI 4Matic Blueefficiency or BlueTEC ?

Discussion in 'General Mercedes-Benz Related Discussion' started by MichaelS, Dec 17, 2012.

1. MichaelS

MichaelS New Member

Your Mercedes:
    GLK
    I am considering purchasing the new GLK 220 4Matic, but not sure whether to go for Blueefficiency or BlueTEC. The specs are identical performance wise, even the milage - though BlueTec is supposed to be slightly better ? The dealer cannot explain the difference except BlueTec is a bit more "environmental friendly" (but same mileage.....?) Can anyone shed some light on this ?

Any experience in general with the GLK ?

...and finally....should I go for the 250 instead of 220 ? I have only tried the 220 and performance seems fine, so not sure it's worthwhile spending the extra buck on the 250.

Greatfull for any advice

2. gizze

gizze Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    E350 cgi Estate & Range Rover TDV8
    I thought the GLK 220 Blutec was gasoline?

The figures are virtually identical for both...

220 blutec
    170 hp
    400nm
    8.8s - 100kph
    6.1L/km

220 blu effeciency
    170 hp
    400nm
    8.8s - 100kph
    6.1L/km

I would love to try them both, as if it really were using no more fuel I would certainly prefer to go with the gas version.

However, one this that is different, certainly in Germany, is the price.
    The 220 blutec is €44,000 compared with €42,000 for the blue effciency diesel.

Well worth it though I think.

3. PeterCLK

PeterCLK Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2012 204 Elegance saloon 220 cdi
    They are not sold in the UK so little experience on this forum.

4. st4

st4 Banned

Your Mercedes:
    Disqualified driver
    Blutech is the ad blue urea solution added to clean exhaust gases. My fathers S class is a Blutech and so far it's been fine

5. grober

grober Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W204 C200cdi estate
    The BLUE TEC meets EURO 6 emissions specification whereas the Blue efficiency meets EURO 5 Both are diesel and have identical CO2 emissions however the BLUE TEC has the further refinement of urea injection to reduce oxides of nitrogen emissions giving a cleaner exhaust. IRRC this technology was developed to meet certain emission regulations of certain states in the USA which had previously prevented mercedes diesels being sold there. AFAIK there a small liquid urea reservoir which has to topped up at service intervals plus some extra software injectors etc.
    Steve beat me to it.;)

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  6. gizze

gizze Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    E350 cgi Estate & Range Rover TDV8
    But in the case of the GLK, the blutec is the petrol version looking at all the specs.
    No blutec diesel as far as I can see.

Although was reading the article on autobild.de so they may have just got that wrong?

7. OP
    MichaelS

MichaelS New Member

Your Mercedes:
    GLK
    GLK BlueTEC is diesel, but meets EURO 6 emissions spec whereas the BlueEfficiency only meets EURO 5 (as grober mentioned). Otherwise all specs are the same, only the price is different with the BlueTEC 2 k€ more expensive. I guess the EURO 6 spec might be an issue in Germany due to tax differentiation ? Here in Denmark it makes no difference, so I guess my conclusion is to go with BlueEfficiency then....

8. st4

st4 Banned

Your Mercedes:
    Disqualified driver
    It's not , look at the mpg it's a diesel and no petrols are blue tech.

Blue tech is the technology debuted on trucks to clean emissions as a solution is injected to exhaust gasses to clean them

9. hawk20

hawk20 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    ML250 BlueTEC Sport
    GLK sadly not sold in UK.

Worth driving one with the 250cdi engine. It is amazing. The power is like a V6, the torque like a V8. Yet remarkably smooth and refined. And with twin turbos the power delivery is virtually seamless. I've driven it in the E estate and the new ML and it really is a phenominal engine.

Can you try both engines? The 220cdi may be all you need. I've driven that too and loved it. Only you can decide.

10. duncanh

duncanh Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    BMW 520d SE F10, formerly c220cdi estate (for 12.5 years and 345k miles), before that w124 and w210
    I saw a GLK last year in Buenos Aires.

I could not believe how ugly it was. Thankfully they are not available here, polluting the brand even further.

11. Naraic

Naraic Moderator

Your Mercedes:
    2005 CL500.
    Indeed, something that began with the W201...and hasn't stopped since.

12. st4

st4 Banned

Your Mercedes:
    Disqualified driver
    Whats the power deliver like, the new 220cdi BE TT engine is very smooth. I had heard the extra torque and power makes the new 250cdi quite fun but racious and peaky. Something I'd enjoy but I can get not all would like that

13. hawk20

hawk20 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    ML250 BlueTEC Sport
    Clearly a matter of taste. Gorgeous to look at IMO but then I love 4x4s.

14. hawk20

hawk20 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    ML250 BlueTEC Sport
    Trouble is IMO you take a young journalist used to driving petrol engines and loving the revs, and working cars hard for road tests, and all that, and put them in a diesel and they must drive it all wrong. If you rev the 250cdi hard enough it could be described as raucous. But it has the torque of a 5 litre V8 petrol (500nm IIRC) and there is no need to rev its guts out at all. I've owned lots of petrol cars and many diesels and I honestly prefer diesel in modern traffic. Loads of grunt at low revs, easy cruising with engine only doing around 2k revs at the legal max. Touch the accelerator and there's an immediate whoosh of power. No need to work right up the rev range like petrol engines need unless they are very large. With the ML350cdi I very rarely use more than 3000 rpm. Just no need. And I found the 250cdi had that same effortless power at sensible easy-going revs.

The TT 220cdi also delivers seamless power and feels much faster than it is. Lovely to drive. The 250cdi has that bit more punch, and I just found it amazing from only just over 2 litres.

15. OP
    MichaelS

MichaelS New Member

Your Mercedes:
    GLK
    Will try them both

I have only tried the 220 so far, but was very impressed with the torque. Will have to try the 250 also to compare ;-)