Government driven/managed decline of used car industry.

Alastairp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CLK200 coupe (now gone) 2011 R230 SL350 2014 C220 estate
Hi Alastair. What is stopping you from using your 911SC ?

Its quite a long story really - in fact everything I do seems to become a long story.

It started with an ebay purchase of a 1982 911SC which had been lying in a storage unit for 16 years in 2012:

Pic 1.jpg
I then embarked on a complete strip down & rebuild (body, paint, interior, engine, transmission, suspension etc), finally getting the car MoT and back on the road on 1st January 2015.

IMGP0034.JPG
IMGP0036.JPG
IMGP0042.JPG IMGP0043.JPG
However, I didn't route the wiring for the heated rear screen correctly through the rubber seal and there was a very slight water leak so I didn't get around to installing the rear seats & carpet etc until I changed the seal.

Unfortunately, my wife found a building project at the beginning of 2015 which necessitated moving into a caravan for a short period (which turned into 4.5 years), finally moving into the (still unfinished) house at the very end of 2019 just before COVID struck.

I was not allowed to even look at the red car, let alone do any work on it, until the house was finished. The house remains unfinished due to the arrival of 5 grandsons in the past 6 years.

First registered in 1982, the car is now eligible for Historic Status and would be exempt from tax and MoT, although I believe I need to put an MoT on it before I can apply for Historic Status exemption.

OP
ARoosterinaRoadster

ARoosterinaRoadster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Now a 2005 55 plate C Class 220 CDI Estate Auto in Iridium Silver with Black Nappa Leather.
Hi again Alastair. Some reasonable justification I am sure :cool:.
Pictures have always and will always speak volumes and thousands of words.

I must be honest and say that I have never really warmed to Porsche but having said that the older cars now that I am in my late 70's do really have an appeal that I had never really appreciated in the past.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Hi Alistair. Thank you for that short input with 'HI' - Human Intelligence.
There are that many acronyms these days I have difficulty in keeping up with them - there you go - have I just created yet another or am I so far behind the times that that my at very nearly 78 years young that I need reprograming !!
_Please do not suggest AI !!

I have always known the internal combustion engine as - Suck,Squeeze,Bang and Blow.
Yeh. N some f renamed that! Ice. Constantly re inventin wot don't need re invention

Kudly

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C209 CLK200K AG 2006
Hi Alastair. What is stopping you from using your 911SC ?

I have just finished reading an article in 'MyLondon' that is very very much in the interests of anyone and every one that drives a car and more especially those with older cars that currently comply with ULEZ.

Interesting read. Survey results just now on that site:

Screenshot 2023-06-18 at 18-20-52 Garage owner fears ULEZ expansion will reduce value of his b...png

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Interesting read. Survey results just now on that site:

View attachment 84602
Those results make no sense.

They can't "Continue as they are now" AND "Not upgrade the car" And "Never pay"

The whole ULEZ things is a farse, an additional TAX hidden under a thin veil of air pollution prevention. I am yet to see any statistics regarding this. The same with 20MPH limits, that are more dangerious than 30 MPH. When cyclists are overtaking you as you are doing the speed limit, something is seriously wrong.

harrye500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 W213 OM654 E220 Estate (the main driver) and 2010 A207 E500 (now 'the Summer Car')
Its quite a long story really - in fact everything I do seems to become a long story.

It started with an ebay purchase of a 1982 911SC which had been lying in a storage unit for 16 years in 2012:

View attachment 84420
I then embarked on a complete strip down & rebuild (body, paint, interior, engine, transmission, suspension etc), finally getting the car MoT and back on the road on 1st January 2015.

View attachment 84421
View attachment 84422
View attachment 84423 View attachment 84424
However, I didn't route the wiring for the heated rear screen correctly through the rubber seal and there was a very slight water leak so I didn't get around to installing the rear seats & carpet etc until I changed the seal.

Unfortunately, my wife found a building project at the beginning of 2015 which necessitated moving into a caravan for a short period (which turned into 4.5 years), finally moving into the (still unfinished) house at the very end of 2019 just before COVID struck.

I was not allowed to even look at the red car, let alone do any work on it, until the house was finished. The house remains unfinished due to the arrival of 5 grandsons in the past 6 years.

First registered in 1982, the car is now eligible for Historic Status and would be exempt from tax and MoT, although I believe I need to put an MoT on it before I can apply for Historic Status exemption.
Lovely, the 911 is a 'happy' car - almost looks as if its smiling. Lovely motor and top resto!

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
I pay zero tax on 4 cars, and over £1500 tax for the rest of them......but don't tell my Missus...:eek:

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I pay zero tax on 4 cars, and over £1500 tax for the rest of them......but don't tell my Missus...:eek:
I’m £0 on one and ~£1,200 for the rest…:eek: -
Although it’s a bit less than that as I’ve 2 SORN at the moment

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
I’m £0 on one and ~£1,200 for the rest…:eek: -
Although it’s a bit less than that as I’ve 2 SORN at the moment

Having cars is such a hardsh........an enjoyment :D

Alastairp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
She lives!

This afternoon, some seven years or so after parking my 1982 SC up in my (then) new shed to undertake a house-build I grasped the bull by the horns whilst the wife's back was turned.

Clearing aside all the accumulated grass cutting equipment, tools, bikes and loads of other people's stuff, I managed to create a clear route to push the old girl backwards to the door.

New battery fitted - the old one had died during one of the cold winters when the Aldi charger/ conditioner had given up due the the low temperature - £107 from ECP after £12 discount.

Turned the key with not a little trepidation and a few electrically assisted revolutions resulted in a steady even idle and no smoke whatsoever and oil pressure at 4.

Clutch was not seized onto flywheel and brake pads were not seized onto calipers - I hadn't put the handbrake on.

Engage reverse gear, turn around and then a cheeky little run up the road with perfect gear selection.

Sublime!

However, I forgot how heavy unassisted steering is, so will need to do a bit of work on the upper body strengthening.

Thorough detailed check over now required and then book in for last ever MoT before registering as Historic status for tax and MoT-free motoring.

Today was a happy day.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
She lives!

This afternoon, some seven years or so after parking my 1982 SC up in my (then) new shed to undertake a house-build I grasped the bull by the horns whilst the wife's back was turned.

Clearing aside all the accumulated grass cutting equipment, tools, bikes and loads of other people's stuff, I managed to create a clear route to push the old girl backwards to the door.

New battery fitted - the old one had died during one of the cold winters when the Aldi charger/ conditioner had given up due the the low temperature - £107 from ECP after £12 discount.

Turned the key with not a little trepidation and a few electrically assisted revolutions resulted in a steady even idle and no smoke whatsoever and oil pressure at 4.

Clutch was not seized onto flywheel and brake pads were not seized onto calipers - I hadn't put the handbrake on.

Engage reverse gear, turn around and then a cheeky little run up the road with perfect gear selection.

Sublime!

However, I forgot how heavy unassisted steering is, so will need to do a bit of work on the upper body strengthening.

Thorough detailed check over now required and then book in for last ever MoT before registering as Historic status for tax and MoT-free motoring.

Today was a happy day.
Front tyres at the top of the recommended pressures makes steering easier…;):cool:

Alastairp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
True - I didn’t even check the pressures such was the jubilation!
But they are sure to need topping up after so long

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom