Heater Demister Blower Stopped Working!

merc4me

Reaction score
Hi guys

1992 J Reg Merc 190e

Haven't posted in a while but love the new look of the Forum.

Of all the times in the year to go wrong, My Heater Demister Blower has stopped working, when I put the slider right over it used to blast air at the screen but not any more.

Although the were occasions when it was working intermittently.

May be a coincidence but it was working fine until I fitted a Brand New Battery, so I am thinking it could be a fuse or a loose or corroded fuse?

Where do I find the Fuse? any other ideas would be welcome.

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
First you do not say what the car is,,,, what ever it is it the chances are it will be the carbon brushes worn out

OP
M

merc4me

Reaction score
1992 Merc 190e If it is the brushes how do I replace them?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You will need to get the motor out, its top left 32. I may have the instructions, but I cannot check right now as I will be off air for a while reloading Windows 7 pro

brianbrian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 250D, SL129-deisel
Have you made sure the water channels under the blower are not blocked, as they do tend to get a lot of water this time of the year. Hope this helps

OP
M

merc4me

Reaction score
Hi brianbrian

No I never checked that, I will have a look

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I am still off line and cannot give you the info yet, sorry

OP
M

merc4me

Reaction score
I think I've found the problem but what is the solution?

When I put the demister on full (92J 190e) It runs for a couple of seconds, then cuts out.

Looking under the bonnet I can see the fuse has blown on the fan and when I have replaced the fuse and switched it on it blows the fuse again!

Probably something to do with all the Wet Weather but I cannot see any water trapped anywhere.

I would have though the heat under the bonnet would have dried it out but it seems not.

Anyone else had this problem and managed to fix it?

Also: Just behind the battery are a couple of wired coils, surrounded by a sort of protected metal heat guard.

When you try and turn on the fan, they heat up and glow bright red like a mini electric fire! is that supposed to happen?

Any ideas?

huey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 cdi 2004 Estate
The wire coils you refer to with the "metal box" is the heater blower resister, it regulates the fan speed, if this is glowing red that means it is getting very hot and should not be doing so. I would hazard a guess that your actual blower itself is getting stuck maybe due to some debris stuck in there or could even need lubricating if not spinning freely, it would be stuck and the resister is glowing red (overheating) trying to get it spinning. Hence blowing the fuse

Last edited:
OP
M

merc4me

Reaction score
Hi Yes

That was what I was thinking, but how to you get to the fan to give it a spin to free it off?

huey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 cdi 2004 Estate
If your car does not have aircon, you should be able to get to the blower by removing the front scuttle and the wiper mechanism.

OP
M

merc4me

Reaction score
I Think I know what happened, as this time of the year the car gets covered in leaves from a nearby tree and I'm always having to clear them away from under the wiper.

When these leaves are very dry they fragment into small pieces and I reckon that a bit of debris is stopping the fan from spinning.

If I just remove the cover plate under the Wiper, would that give me enough room, to get my hand in and give the fan a spin to free it off (while the fan is switched off)

Or would I need to unbolt the Wiper as well?

As if I would have to do that, I would wait better weather before pulling it all to bits.

Some guy on the internet

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A few.
I Think I know what happened, as this time of the year the car gets covered in leaves from a nearby tree and I'm always having to clear them away from under the wiper.

When these leaves are very dry they fragment into small pieces and I reckon that a bit of debris is stopping the fan from spinning.

If I just remove the cover plate under the Wiper, would that give me enough room, to get my hand in and give the fan a spin to free it off (while the fan is switched off)

Or would I need to unbolt the Wiper as well?

As if I would have to do that, I would wait better weather before pulling it all to bits.

Extremely unlikely. The holes in the wiper grating are very small. The blower motor is in the vertical position with good clearance around & underneath it where there is a good sized drain hole.

OP
M

merc4me

Reaction score
Just before the fuse blows, the fan spins for a few seconds.

It may just need turning over by hand or a drop of oil, so would I need to take the wiper motor off?

Or would there be enough room to get my hand in to turn the fan by hand?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I may have a secondhand good one that you can have for the cost of the postage

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
What size is the fuse for the fan 15 amp

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
With its history of intermittent working it sounds like you will have to get it out.
Brushes are a favourite.
Follow the link !!

OP
M

merc4me

Reaction score
Hi Yes 15 amp fuse

If not leaves then it may be a build up of gunge, not a great time of the year for having to pull the car to bits.

I just want to get it working and will do a proper job on it in the spring.

I just wish there was an easy way that I could spin the fan by hand without taking the wiper and motor off.

Does anyone know how long it takes to get to the fan?

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom