Hello from the North of Scotland!

Fiona/Trevor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 CDi Avantgarde (now swapped for a very reliable VW)
Hello from the Far North of Scotland! I'm Fiona (and will normally be the one be posting here) and I live in Orkney. My fiancé Trevor is currently in Shetland and our car is a silver 11 year old Mercedes E320cdi Avantgarde auto.

The car was a total surprise to me.... we were heading south on holiday, so Trevor got on the 14 hour ferry to Aberdeen and I joined him when the boat stopped in Orkney on the way south. As far as I knew, the car that was already on board was the Skoda Octavia he'd bought previously.....

In the morning he encouraged me to have a lie in until 8 while he drove the car off and had breakfast with a friend...... or that's what I thought!!

I walked off the ferry and he said “I can't remember where I left the Skoda.... we'll have to take this instead!” and pressed a button. A posh silver Merc went “FLASH” and I think it was the first time I've ever been speechless! He'd bought it off Gumtree from a chap in Lossiemouth and it had just been delivered to the pier!

The car has been very well looked after, it has really low mileage for its age and most of the doors were stiff from lack of use! It's like new all round, and the inside is unbelievably clean. Trevor bought it from the guy who bought it new; he'd sold it briefly but bought it back again. There's a full Mercedes service history and it only ever had one advisory ever on its MOTs. There have been a few very minor issues since we got it, and there's lots of computer stuff to go wrong, but it's great on long journeys up and down the country. I wish it was cheaper to run but I do like it and we are hoping to tow a caravan with it soon.

Cheers

Fiona (and Trevor)

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Welcome from the Northern Isles!
I have family in Helmsdale, wayyyy south of you!

OP
Fiona/Trevor

Fiona/Trevor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Oh yes - that's the South when you're up here! :)

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Hi Fiona and Trevor, welcome to the forum :)

Taffy7hfa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 ML 270 CDI,2016 Hyundai1.6 CRDI i30,2014 Peugeot 308 HDI. .6 HDI.
Hello to you both, welcome to the forum !

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Hello both, congrats on the engagement and the car, and welcome to the forum. You've picked a great model as your introduction to the brand!

One small tip, please get the underside of the car, especially the wheel arch inners fully waxoyld as soon as you can. The salt air may start to eat the car otherwise! As well as that, keep the paint as clean as possible and always wax after washing- keeps a protective film.

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Welcome to the forums from the South West.

If you are ever towing your caravan near by and need a coffee do pop in.

Great story too btw!!

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
One small tip, please get the underside of the car, especially the wheel arch inners fully waxoyld as soon as you can. The salt air may start to eat the car otherwise! As well as that, keep the paint as clean as possible and always wax after washing- keeps a protective film.

The car has lived on the coast all of it's life, if it's not rusting now I wouldn't worry too much. As for keeping a protective film over the paint, mine always had that and I'm nowhere near the sea yet my wheel arches started rusting before it was 5 years old. Mercedes don't rust cause their near the sea, they rust through bad paint prep when first built, even if fully galvanised!

Russ

OP
Fiona/Trevor

Fiona/Trevor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks everyone - and for the advice about the dreaded Rust!
The car is totally rust free, I think it must have been in a garage all its life. When we got it we had it sealed underneath, and also had the paintwork coated in something like a heavy duty wax (aaargh not quite sure what) which gets done a couple of times a year along with the valet, and when you wash it it just comes up like new every time…. it's gleaming! Trevor's quite keen to keep it in its current condition so anything it needs, it gets….

On the down side although it's powerful it's not actually quite as heavy as our 1900 kg caravan, so we have to sell the caravan and get a lighter model to get the balance right…. Rather do that than part with the car!

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Welcome and great story . I have an E320cdi as well for the last 5 years . Still love it . Enjoy the forum :p

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
What mileage has the car got ?

beccy

MBO Membership Secretary
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL
Welcome to the MBO forum

g heaps

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes W140 S320, Mercedes W124 E300 estate. Vauxhall Omega 2.2 CDX Estate
Hello and welcome to the forum. What a great way to get a Mercedes.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom