John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sold - 2021 CLA 35 Premium.
A microfiber drying towel is the single best thing I have ever bought for my car care products, and makes a chamois leather seem positively medieval by comparison.
A final rinse of the car from top down using free flowing water from my hose, then microfiber towel simply placed on the horizontal areas such as roof, bonnet and boot and gently patted down, then light patting against the vertical areas and as if by magic all the water has disappeared.
Tap water is soft in this part of the UK so is less susceptible to water spotting, but can still happen if left to drip dry under a hot sun.
I only ever use Bilt Hamber Auto Wash as my shampoo of choice now.

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
Ron I can see you have never had an Autoglym synthetic chamois from Halfords, these beat all your micro fiber towels hands down . Pick one up and if you dont like it i will buy it from you . Back in 2000 i used to wash cars for a living and caravans .Well i did but i am retired now. We used them all the time to dry off the vehicles ,,and this synthetic chamois is the best we ever found .We used to buy these 10 at a time . I have 3 used ones left now they must be over 5 years old and still doing a good job the older they get the better they are .

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ron I can see you have never had an Autoglym synthetic chamois from Halfords, these beat all your micro fiber towels hands down . Pick one up and if you dont like it i will buy it from you.
You are correct, I haven't.
That is a bold claim you have made.....and just being honest I am struggling to believe it.
Does the lay on and pat method work with this chamois?
The professional detailing trade use microfiber drying towels so that's a good enough endorsement for me.
I may take you up on your offer at some point, and for your convenience I accept PayPal. :D
Just for the record I have been a long time user of Autoglym products and rate them highly, so I would be completely honest with you if I tried this chamois and preferred it. :)

Last edited:

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
No need to pat it just hold one corner in each of your hands and drag it over the water .You can dab it if you want you can do anything you need to remove the water .Just try one i have been uesing these for 40 years ,,that was untill Halfords started to sell Autoglym ones . I had to send to Sweden for my last few back in mid 1970s they started of as Minky Glass Cloths but you could only get them from super stores .Then they dried up ,,ha ha ,, and they stoped selling them in UK. So i used the address on the last packeti had left and posted it off to Sweden to ask for 12 more if possible . They came and I used them,, gave a couple away to friends .I have one original left now its seen better days but i use it for the wheels only. Then after i tried lots of the synthetic type chamois that were no good .They were lined with cotton .The originals are spun rubber like a spiders web only thicker till it looks like a normal leather .I have just three left and as soon as i can get in to Halfords i will get another one .Then these will last me the rest of my life,thats, going on the length of time i have used them .The last one i have used on and off for 4 years .And its as good as the day i purchased it .Wipe you car over in 1/3 of the time it takes with any other means .

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
Don’t wash a car esp a black car in the sun.

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
Dont wash > any < colour car in the sun if black blue or white or what ever ,,, wait till the sun goes down and the body is cool . And If you do wash your car in the hot and any water is left on the body to dry these white spots will show up as soon as its dry .Me - as soon as the rain stops, then i am out with my synthetic leatherto go over the car and remove the rain water .The sun will damage the paint work,, but maybe not so much on these new cars . I bet after these last few days lots of you guys have these white spots .The sun is so hot after a rain storm, that the sun heats up the rain partical transfering whatever crap thats in the raindrop down in to you nice paint .

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Have just given my car its very first wash at 8 days old(would have done it sooner but I've been ill with food poisoning the past 3 days).
This car definitely takes longer to wash than my previous S3....more expansive body panels to contend with. I am disappointed that I cant get my hand inside the front wheels to clean them though.....that's because they are standard 18" with no 19" option.
All dried with my usual microfiber towel, but compared with previously it is noticeably heavier with water. Its funny how all cars have their persistant wet areas after drying, and on my previous car under the door mirrors and bottom of bootlid was a problem, but this car seems to be much better in these areas, although its worse at bottom of doors.
High winds and rain forecast here tomorrow, so car is tucked up in its bed and wont be back out till Monday. :)

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
Ron you lucky, my car sits outside throughout the summer from March untill November .Then i use a fully waterproof car cover and 4 thermal bed sheets haha,, i am colder in bed,, but i know the car is nice and warm ha ha .When i moved here i came with out a personal car .So the war depot [wife ] took over the garage first before me .

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
I
Don’t wash a car esp a black car in the sun.

I always have, as long as you dry it off quickly absolutely no problems. Never had watermarks as far as I can remember.

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
I

I always have, as long as you dry it off quickly absolutely no problems. Never had watermarks as far as I can remember.
Then you live a very soft water area.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Ok, I’m a novice on the finer points of car detailing and surprise, surprise, I thought I’d give my BLACK E-class a quick rinse off and clean the wheels etc. Well the wheels look ok, but it was sunny and warm and the water spots look worse than the dirt did!
I’ve got a cheapie random orbital polisher and mild cutting stuff is this the way forward?

(Before I need a total respray!)

I find a good wash and aqua wax does what I need without having to be ocd about car cleaning/polishing.

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004
I washed my car on Friday then tucked it away, out of the rain. Waxed half the car on Saturday and finished it early this morning. So satisfying. Wighty put me onto Dodo Juice products. The wax is called Light Fantastic and works very nicely. I'm ready for some sunny weather driving now.

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004
Hope it stays nice for you Mc Donald . I worked for a Mc Donald once a long time ago . BSR .

Thanks Dreamer. Was it his first name? It's very unusual. I only know of two others.
Max Hastings, historian and once editor of the Telegraph - his father was a previous editor of that newspaper - named McDonald Hastings.
There was a continuity announcer working for the BBC in the 1950s. He always wore a bow-tie. His name was McDonald Hobley.

GJP

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E400d 4MATIC Premium Plus
I can vouch for the effectiveness of the water filters referred to on post #8.

However, rinsing my car off with water from our domestic water softener also works - just fill 2 x 5 gallon Meguiars yellow buckets and use a spare shower pump does the trick.

G

Last edited:

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom