Help with S class comand DVD

fendoch

Reaction score
Hi m8s

I have just purchased a 2004 Mercedes S class 3.20 CDI and the comand DVD that is with it is version 3 2004.

I tried our friend at comand.com, but he is unable to help with the S class. in between times I managed to trace a version 6.3, but unfortunately it appears to do all classes EXCEPT the S class.

I have also contacted MB Milton Keynes who tell me from my chassis number....the version I need is 5.1 which appears to be the latest, and will cost £292.00.

Can anyone else help, as I stretched myself to get this beauty, or do I just leave it with the 2004 version, which seems pointless.,

Thanks in advance

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hi m8s

I have just purchased a 2004 Mercedes S class 3.20 CDI and the comand DVD that is with it is version 3 2004.

I tried our friend at comand.com, but he is unable to help with the S class. in between times I managed to trace a version 6.3, but unfortunately it appears to do all classes EXCEPT the S class.

I have also contacted MB Milton Keynes who tell me from my chassis number....the version I need is 5.1 which appears to be the latest, and will cost £292.00.

Can anyone else help, as I stretched myself to get this beauty, or do I just leave it with the 2004 version, which seems pointless.,

Thanks in advance

Now you know the version, they are on Ebay all of the time.

Malcolm

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
A150 manual, smart forTwo, W205 AMG line premium plus.
Hi m8s

Thanks in advance

We at comand.co.uk do not deal in the S class or W211 E class COMAND units or any derivatives thereof. This also applies to the DVD data for them. We deal primarily in A class (W169), B class (W245), C class (W203), M class (W163), CLK Class (W208 & W209), E class (W210).

The version of map data you need is indeed Version 5.1 which is the latest for your car. Try looking on eBay Germany for a copy. Be aware though there are copies out there and not every seller is selling the genuine article.

Mercedes dealers did a free upgrade for many customers to go from V5 to V5.1.

Hope this helps.

OP
F

fendoch

Reaction score
ALFIE

Thanks m8 for all your help

I have managed successfully to buy V5.1 for S class on ebay and have spoken to the person, who informs me that he has sold his S class and now is selling the software. It is for the following

MERCEDES-BENZ SAT NAV DVD COMAND APS Version 5.1

Mercedes-Benz Part Number A 211 827 93 59
Compatible with:
CL-Class (>09/03)
E-Class (>03/02)
Maybach
S-Class (>09/03; >09/05)
SL-Class (>07/04)

Keep the fingers crossed !!!!!!!

Is it a big job updating the car with the new software?????? ......or does it require the dealer to activate anything.

Thanks for your assistance

Graham

Last edited:

124coupe

Reaction score
Power on Comand and press Nav then load the new DVD (in the boot not the dash).

You will go through a brief dialogue on the screen with some buttons to press to confirm updating software and then be asked to turn off Comand and exit and lock the car for 2 mins.

All will then be updated.

(although you should get the car checked at the next service for general car-wide software updates).

Don't expect all the roads to be there - they aren't!

Last edited:
OP
F

fendoch

Reaction score
Thank you very much for the quick response.

What a delightful, and helpful forum and members.

Jumping from Version 3 to Version 5.1 should make a difference I hope.

Being new to this can be quite daunting. I take it the software updates(Version 5.1) other things in the Comand module and not just the SATNAV part ?????

Graham

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thank you very much for the quick response.

What a delightful, and helpful forum and members.

Jumping from Version 3 to Version 5.1 should make a difference I hope.

Being new to this can be quite daunting. I take it the software updates other things in the Comand module and not just the SATNAV part ?????

Graham

We all love our cars on this forum, and we all do our best with all kinds of answers. Many new S Class members owners have joined recently so you are not alone.

Thank you for the comments. Malcolm

124coupe

Reaction score
Re the upgrade, each DVD has application updates as well as a newer map database so it updates both the app (e.g. when TMC came in) as well as the map.

Becker write the app for Merc and integrate (in this case) Navteq maps and POIs.

OP
F

fendoch

Reaction score
I thank you ALL very much for your help and assistance

Graham

OP
F

fendoch

Reaction score
Hi m8s

Just a footnote to the above..... I took the DVD into my Mercedes Dealer to have them install and activate all that is required, but they are not happy about installing it as it was not PURCHASED from MERCEDES dealership. They say there is a lot of CORRUPT DVDs out there and they do not want to try and install it, in case it corrupts my car......??????? :confused:

Where do I go from here?????? If it is corrupt can you not just reinstall the previous software or does it totally bugger everything up. Not that I think it is. I checked with the seller and they said that their S class had been sold and he was just selling off the software. I even had to show the mechanics an email from MB milton keynes stating that the latest software for the S class was Version 5.1 and not 6.3 as they thought. :eek:

I think it might have been easier just to use a MAP ....LOL

Someone please give me advice.......NICELY.....TA :)

Graham

124coupe

Reaction score
Hi, is the software genuine MB with the case?

If so, like all parts, it has a guarantee - sounds like your dealer is the one that's corrupt!

If you've bought a DVD R copy then it may not only fail to work but you have also received stolen property.

Does it look like a DVD or a recordable?

OP
F

fendoch

Reaction score
Hi m8

Yes it is a proper DVD in Mercedes case with all the licence, paperwork etc inside. It certainly looks genuine to me, but I think what the dealer (or his technicians/mechanic) mean is that because I personally did not buy it direct from them or from a MB dealer......and that I bought it from a 3rd party, it could be corrupt.

I dont think the mechanic knows much about it anyway as he told the car salesman who I have dealt with that the latest version is 6.3........even although MB at Milton Keyne (having checked my REG NO, and Chassis No.) state that the latest S Class software is 5.1, and it also says that on the DVD case.

My problem is.......IF.......it was corrupt would it load in and corrupt my Comand unit, would it stop installing, and if either of the above, would I be able to sort the problem out. He is going to be phoning me in the morning.....So I would like to be able to answer his questions, other than he is a LAZY BU****

Maybe ALFIE with his expert knowledge knows more ?????? If he is about just now

Thanks

Last edited:

steve.link

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 W222 S500, 2019 W213 E220
If you are satisfied its a genuine disk then I don't think you can damage anything.

I have 3 different disks for my W211 (same COMAND as your S) 4.1, 5.0 and 5.1 and I have changed them around with out problems.

Main benefit of 5.0 and 5.1 is the TMC functionality

124coupe

Reaction score
As per my previous post, 5.1 has not been out long enough for a genuine disk to be out of warranty - you, like many of us, have just found one of the CR@P dealers that Merc still has.

Take this small incident as a pointer to both their lack of knowledge and their bad customer service attitude and find another dealer.

The 6.3 disk is for the "other" range of Mercs that use a different Comand software set. 5.1 is correct and newest for your car.

If its a real Merc disk just install it as per the instructions and enjoy TMC and (more) up to date maps.

(or let the bad dealer screw you for a second disk - £275 ish by the way!)

If the need to exit the car and lock it etc after the update worries you - that is just the process built into Comand to allow it to re-start with the updated software - nothing to worry about.

eric242340

Banned
Reaction score
help with s class command DVD

Some Dealers are bad, I have first hand experience of this. I have been with Mercedes Benz for the last 30 years and at present I am working in China. In this instance I am worried. If you have a corrupt copy, the effect could be horrendous. Command uses a D2B fibre optic system and is very sensitive. If this CD is corrupt it will affect Command, Your CD changer and your telephone. This would cost a lot of money to sort out. I fully understand the dealer backing out of this, as the responsibility would be on them.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Is the market big enough to pirate these things, I do not think so when MB supply most of them anyway.

I think that close examination of the case and disc would show any errors, and Ebay is hardly full of them, just the odd one now and then.

Malcolm

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
Is the market big enough to pirate these things, I do not think so when MB supply most of them anyway.

I think that close examination of the case and disc would show any errors, and Ebay is hardly full of them, just the odd one now and then.

Malcolm

There's a fair number for sale on eBay and someone on the other forum got one that was described as original but came on a CD-R. There was a seller offering the files only at one point, but it wasn't obvious from his eBay listing that that was what he was doing.

OP
F

fendoch

Reaction score
OK m8s

I have spoken to the dealership.......He is not saying that the DVD is corrupt, only that it might be. The fact is that he did not order it and therefore he is not opening a sealed case from Merc, even although the licence and all paperwork is inside , he says that some of the original DVDs that were issued were corrupt.

There is NO arguement that it is a copy, just that it MIGHT be corrupt as a few genuine ones that came from the manufacturers have been found to be corrupt. LOL......does that mean they will NEVER install any.....Saves them work I suppose. If it is under warranty and does corrupt the system then surely its Mercedes resposibility for issuing a corrupt disc.

Anyway its all if if if........There is nothing on or in the box that shows it is ANYTHING other than GENUINE. Certainly not a CD-R...... Its a proper DVD disc and box and contains the licences paperwork and future upgrade slip etc from Mercedes......and this is what was said on ebay :-

MERCEDES-BENZ SAT NAV DVD COMAND APS Version 5.1
Mercedes-Benz Part Number A 211 827 93 59
Compatible with:
CL-Class (>09/03) E-Class (>03/02) Maybach S-Class (>09/03; >09/05) SL-Class (>07/04)

This is an original DVD not a copy.

So as you can see it was sold as ORIGINAL DVD

Last edited:

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
I wouldn't have even thought about it and would have just installed it - I don't know why you took it to the dealer in the first place.

If you bought one as a spare over the parts counter (as most people would) then you'd normally install it yourself.

In the (seemingly unlikely) event that there was a problem, then I'd just put the old disk back in and ask the dealer to fix it.

OP
F

fendoch

Reaction score
I wouldn't have even thought about it and would have just installed it - I don't know why you took it to the dealer in the first place.

If you bought one as a spare over the parts counter (as most people would) then you'd normally install it yourself.

In the (seemingly unlikely) event that there was a problem, then I'd just put the old disk back in and ask the dealer to fix it.

I have never used this before m8, and take delivery of the car on Monday, but the version in it was version 3.0 All I asked them was to update the software.and reading threads here there appears to be certain things in the system that requires activation by the dealership....Glad you can afford a spare at £295 Ha! Ha! Ha!

Im sorry I have caused so much hassle !!!!!!! I may have to install myself and if needed will follow 1234couoe instructions above.

Last edited:

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom