High Miles W203 - C200 Kompressor - Need Help...

MarkGodden

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C200 Kompressor 300K Kms Plus
Hi Everyone.

This is my first post here so may I begin with a thank you to everyone who contributes for the benefit of people like me who have everything to learn.

I have a high mileage, W203 C200 Kompressor Saloon. It's on a 51 plate and I bought it used from Mercedes Exeter about three and a half years ago. I can't remember what exactly was on the clock when I bought the car, but I've put a lot of miles on it looking for a house in France and travelling back and forth between Holland and home in the South of France. It has 320K Kms on the clock now, just over 200K Miles.

The car runs like a dream. Everything works. I've no intention of moving it on but it is complaining about something I need some help with. It's a noise.

When the car is started from cold, there is a clattering rattle from under the car toward the back I think. Blipping the throttle makes it go away as the revs rise but it comes back as it nears idle. On the move there is not a hint of the noise and when the car is hot it's considerably lessened or eliminated.

I'd like to get it fixed and do it myself to contain the expense. I'm very lucky in having a really nice garage at home with an inspection pit and I'd like to think I'm OK with tools. I have a good socket set, inspection lights, no diagnostic kit though.

Anyone have an idea what this may be? I do have the orange inspection light on and it's been on for a while. Could this be the cat dying?

While we're looking exhaust-wise, there's a tiny hole in the pipe up toward the front of the car - I saw it when I was doing an oil change. This hole is so perfectly round I can't believe it's a perforation. It's about 1.5mm or so in diameter. Should I plug it up?

Given the miles this car has covered and the fact I'd like to keep it, what's the regime with things like cam chain, valve clearances and so on. It's obviously out of dealer care now but what should I be doing to ensure I get another 100K out of this great car?

Thank you for bearing with this long post. Any help appreciated. Catch up with my further woes over in the suspension section!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hello and welcome,,the fault would appear to be a faulty loose CAT,, there is nothing else towards the rear of the car that can do this at idle

rpe2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
His: 2018 E220 d; Hers: 2016 SMAX
As above, may just be a loose heat shield which can be remedied by simply removing.

Welcome to the forum.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
As above, may just be a loose heat shield which can be remedied by simply removing.

Welcome to the forum.

Good point Richard and easily checked from under the car :D

OP
M

MarkGodden

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C200 Kompressor 300K Kms Plus
Decoke...

At that milage I would say a decoke in on the horizon

I know nothing about cat-converters - when you say a decoke may be needed, do you mean of the cat itself or the whole thing from combustion chambers to tail pipe?

Is it a decoke in a bottle I should be considering or am I into taking major chunks of the car apart?

Thank you for the help you've given.

rpe2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
His: 2018 E220 d; Hers: 2016 SMAX
At this stage, start with a strong dose of injector cleaner and an Italian tune-up.

Alternatively if the car is running fine, then best to leave alone..

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom