How do you do?

Marty Y

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 230 komp convertible w208
Hello there,

Hi I'm Martin from Somerset (south west UK)
I've owned my late 1999 facelift W208 CLK 230 komp avantgarde convertible for about 4 years now and am very happy with it,
I am now considering purchasing a R230 SL so I thought I'd join up here to hopefully get some info and advice,
Example where/who can do a inspection on things like ABC struts & pump, and just generally making sure i'm not throwing away my hard earned money on a complete lemon.
Also i have seen a SL500 for sale advertised with amg styling but it has no side skirts or amg bumbers just a badge that looks like it came off of ebay and rear lip spoiler? Is this false advertising or a genuine amg styling option?
Sorry to ramble on as my first post also please excuse my poor spelling and grammar and thank you for all the great threads from the knowledgeable nembers I've been reading so far.
Cheers Marty

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Television is your Guru of all things 230 related.

On ABC however... check struts for weeping; check fluid colour (new is green, old is black and cacky), check if the pump has been replaced and if so, how long ago; move the car up and down using the ride height adjustment button while you're standing out of the car and watch it move. Is it even? Run the engine and use a big long screwdriver to listen to the pump. Mine is a bit noisy and in need of replacement...

I believe you will need to check passenger footwell carpet for damp, ditto boot lining. Check the PSE pump in the boot too.

Make sure all electrics work; that both seats all work.

Check when battery(ies) were last changed, the 5 litre engine requires a ****** great cranking battery. Not sure if the 230 has separate consumer battery, I believe some do.

Once you've done all of that, make excuses and leave, come back an hour later and check the car. Is it level or has one corner sagged? If so, issues with ABC solenoids/ valve block. If not, fingers crossed!

OP
M

Marty Y

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thank you for the warm welcome and useful information.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Where in Somerset are you, I am on the border, so maybe I can help, I do know them pretty well.

OP
M

Marty Y

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Where in Somerset are you, I am on the border, so maybe I can help, I do know them pretty well.

Brilliant thanks, I live in a small village between Glastonbury and Bridgwater

I've wanted one for a while, but wanted to save enough so i still have some rainy day money left over for maintenance etc. What prompted me to start this thread was that i seen a SL500 for sale in Bridgwater and a couple of things didn't seem right in the ad on autotrader, it claims to have amg body styling but the bumpers and side skirts look standard all it has is a lip spoiler and amg badge? I also think it seems a bit over priced for the spec
http://www2.autotrader.co.uk/classi...sedcars&radius=1500&postcode=ta79hd&logcode=p
(Don't know if that link will work im on a mobile device if it doesn't i'll repost from a pc later)
I've decided im not going to rush into buying I will wait till I see one with spec i want, when that time comes any advice or services you could offer would be greatly appreciated, I've read a lot of your posts and you sound very knowledgeable.
Thanks ;)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
You are right, the link will not open, if you can post a better then great.

There are loads for sale and some real dogs out there, only the 55 and 63 came with AMG with badges and spoiler

A 500 with a AMG body kit looks like a AMG, this is my 500, it has an after market grill.
DSC01310_zpsn22nradn.jpg

Last edited:

beccy

MBO Membership Secretary
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL
Hello and welcome to the MBO forum! :D

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom