How to drive an auto?

Carabosse

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C300 AMG Sport Line Premium Plus Coupe (C205)
I use HOLD frequently in my 350 Cdi Auto. It requires two pumps of the brake pedal officially but this works out the same as stopping and then pressing the pedal firmly.

I am obviously doing something wrong in my 350CDI. It does not seem to work

Do you get a 'Hold' light coming on? I have never seen it.

SAABfan

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1999 CLK320 Elegance
My CLK has a W option on the gearbox (weather).

Selecting this stops the car from rolling back on hills, so I can leave it in drive, even on step hills and the car doesn't roll back.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded

Yes a double push on the brake pedal puts the Hold on, it says hold in the cluster, it needs a double hard push, you do not have to lift your foot right off during the double pus

DavidUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class Cab 350cdi 2010 Palladium

Yes, in the speedo, the word "HOLD"
I struggled to get it at first when we test drove an E Class but I believe all 2010 onwards have it. Press the brake firmly then again quickly after.

Has it worked?

M-B Dave

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C216 CL500 2009 38k • W168 2001 104k
My CLK has a W option on the gearbox (weather).

Selecting this stops the car from rolling back on hills, so I can leave it in drive, even on step hills and the car doesn't roll back.

I have S / W program selector switch on my W168, the manual says:

S Standard - for all normal driving conditions
W Winter - for winter operations
  • Traction and driving stability are increased on slippery surfaces
  • The transmission shifts up sooner, even if you depress the accelerator pedal further. This means that you drive at lower engine speeds and the wheels are less likely to spin.

I guess I have been under-utilising this option, not that I experienced any noticeable roll back, even on hills (not many here), but it certainly worth trying, thanks for the tip :cool:

Carabosse

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes a double push on the brake pedal puts the Hold on, it says hold in the cluster, it needs a double hard push, you do not have to lift your foot right off during the double pus

I struggled to get it at first when we test drove an E Class but I believe all 2010 onwards have it. Press the brake firmly then again quickly after.

Has it worked?

I'll give it another try tomorrow. Thanks. :)

DavidUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have S / W program selector switch on my W168, the manual says:

S Standard - for all normal driving conditions
W Winter - for winter operations
  • Traction and driving stability are increased on slippery surfaces
  • The transmission shifts up sooner, even if you depress the accelerator pedal further. This means that you drive at lower engine speeds and the wheels are less likely to spin.

I guess I have been under-utilising this option, not that I experienced any noticeable roll back, even on hills (not many here), but it certainly worth trying, thanks for the tip :cool:
I wonder if the C setting of my E Class Dynamic Handling Package would give a similar result?
C for Comfort changes up sooner whereas S for Sport holds each gear longer.

M-B Dave

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C216 CL500 2009 38k • W168 2001 104k
I wonder if the C setting of my E Class Dynamic Handling Package would give a similar result?
C for Comfort changes up sooner whereas S for Sport holds each gear longer.

I have never paid too much attention to the matter, but it is interesting that my W168 is of the age, when MB switched from "old" S/W to S/C selectors: mine is early facelift 7/2001, but still got S/W, about 6 months later same model was coming up with S/C and the online manual I have is actually shows it like this:
ScreenShot2014-03-05at195507_zpsb0e4d40d.png

So, less emphasis on spin and slippery, but sounds very similar...

DavidUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I must say I'd glad not to have just Sport suspension. Sport setting is great for around town and winding roads but on the motorway the comfort setting just wafts me along. Sport reminds me of my BMW MSport suspension but not as harsh. I tried an SE version too but the non-sports seats were horrible. I couldn't live with waft mode all the time either. DHP was not something I specified but the car came with it anyhow. Lucky.

obduro

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55

Has it worked?

Mine's an 09 plate and has it. All E Coupe's do.

I tend to brake, keep my foot in the same position, then depress the pedal further to put it on hold. Found it by complete coincidence when I first got the car! :lol:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Mine's an 09 plate and has it. All E Coupe's do.

I tend to brake, keep my foot in the same position, then depress the pedal further to put it on hold. Found it by complete coincidence when I first got the car! :lol:

Thats an easy and nice way to do it :D

Carabosse

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'Hold' works! :D I was obviously doing it wrong before.

Tried it out on the steepest slope I could find locally. Useful facility - I'll be using it all the time now! ;)

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
'Hold' works! :D I was obviously doing it wrong before.

Tried it out on the steepest slope I could find locally. Useful facility - I'll be using it all the time now! ;)

Holds should work on level ground. There's 'hold' and there's a hill start assist that stops the vehicle rolling back for a moment so you can move from the brake pedal to the accelerator.

Mine has hill start assist but not the 'hold' feature that allows you to let go of the brake in queuing traffic.

Carabosse

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The Hold message displays whether the car is on level ground or on a slope. I assume it works by applying all 4 brakes firmly.

Peter G

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 SL 350, 1989 Toyota Hilux, 1987 Fiesta XR2
Sorry if I'm missing something here, but I'm struggling to understand this whole hill start thing.

In an auto I always left foot brake so, on a hill, or just when stopped at a junction, I hold the brakes with my left foot and apply power with my right. It's so simple!!

I don't understand why, on a vehicle with 2 pedals, anyone would use only one foot??

NP46

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MY16 GOLF R DSG: C220 Gone.
I now never use my left foot in an auto, no need and no point.

The only time I've used my left foot was the first time I drove an auto, hit the brakes and nearly put every one in the car through the windscreen :Oops:
Ever since the left foot has been planted to the foot rest.

Sorry if I'm missing something here, but I'm struggling to understand this whole hill start thing.

In an auto I always left foot brake so, on a hill, or just when stopped at a junction, I hold the brakes with my left foot and apply power with my right. It's so simple!!

I don't understand why, on a vehicle with 2 pedals, anyone would use only one foot??

Last edited:
Top Bottom