How to drive an auto?

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Err if I'm going to use my left foot to brake what the hell am I going to tap in time with the music?!

Your right foot! ;) ;) ;) ;) Then when you've stopped or stopped braking, you can then tap with your left foot again!! :lol: :lol:

moob

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 cdi W211
But a driving instructor also says not to cross your hands or palm the steering wheel round or slow the car down on the gearbox .............. but we do ;) ;) ;)
Indeed, but it is the correct way regardless.

NP46

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MY16 GOLF R DSG: C220 Gone.
You could also argue that most people don't drive with their feet hovering around pedals :D

You could argue though, that if you left foot brake, then your left foot will always be hovering somewhere near the brake pedal and doesn't have as far to reach the brake pedal as your right foot has from the throttle :lol:
It's still my left foot that reacts for an emergency stop.

moob

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 cdi W211
Why??

Saying something is "the correct method" without giving any explaination in not very convincing.

Because it just is.

Maybe you should email the IAM and ask them, but its a fact.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
.... the IAM and ask them, ....

The wheel shufflers :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

IAM explain that you might press both pedals at the same time .......... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: (or that was the excuse given to me when I'd been invited on a speed awareness course a few years ago when there used to be a practical session :rolleyes:)

Last edited:

moob

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 cdi W211
Why??

Saying something is "the correct method" without giving any explaination in not very convincing.
Here's another thing Peter, in this country we drive on the right - why?

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350

OMG!!!!!! :shock::shock::shock: I hope I don't meet you on the road!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited:

Peter G

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 SL 350, 1989 Toyota Hilux, 1987 Fiesta XR2

It would appear that Scotland has already gained independance and has started to drive on the "wrong" side!

moob

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 cdi W211
The right foot should normally be used to control the accelerator and footbrake. Because there is no clutch, your left foot should not need to be used at all.

;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
Roughly translated, you're doing it wrong. :lol:

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
When they say should or should not, they mean there are exceptions, e.g. right leg amputees.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Roughly translated, you're doing it wrong. :lol:

But it doesn't say that. It says that most people use their right for for both pedals ...... it doesn't say it's wrong to use both ;)

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
When they say should or should not, they mean there are exceptions, e.g. right leg amputees.

and to put the cat in amongst the pigeons ..... some people like my FiL has a left foot throttle (a result of a major stroke years ago) Not even I try driving his car with my left foot ....... it has the option of a right foot throttle too. :lol:

moob

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 cdi W211
Very nice, but it doesn't explain why!

Claiming something is wrong "because it is" is infantile. It's the sort of thing my 3 year old grandson would say.

We should be looking for REASONS why and, so far, I haven't seen any.
Keep yer knickers on Peter.

People have given reasons, for example, because when you look to brake, the natural thing to do (and safe) is to remove one foot from the accelerator pedal to apply the brake. If those reasons aren't sufficient for you, fair enough.

You've chosen to use an unconventional method to drive your car - best of luck with that.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom