How to drive an auto?

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Very nice, but it doesn't explain why!

Claiming something is wrong "because it is" is infantile. It's the sort of thing my 3 year old grandson would say.

We should be looking for REASONS why and, so far, I haven't seen any.

As a matter of interest Peter, why do you left foot brake? You weren't taught that, none of us were. As said, I've picked it up from my Dad, where did you? ;)

Peter G

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 SL 350, 1989 Toyota Hilux, 1987 Fiesta XR2
Didn't mean to offend. I just get a bit upset when told I should do something for no good reason.

End of the day, each to his own.

Peter G

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 SL 350, 1989 Toyota Hilux, 1987 Fiesta XR2
As a matter of interest Peter, why do you left foot brake? You weren't taught that, none of us were. As said, I've picked it up from my Dad, where did you? ;)

I started to do it when I started travelling to the USA in the 80s. All the rental cars were autos and it just seemed the logical thing to do. Also, everyone over there seemed to do it.

The first auto I owned was a Jag XJR. I don't know why, maybe it was the pedal spacing and/or heights, but it was more comfortable to left foot brake and so I just stuck with it.

As I've already said, it just seems so much more logical. 2 pedals, 2 feet!!

Reading back a few pages, and reading between the lines, I get the impression the reason people are against left foot braking is because they can't do it on a manual, so why do it on an auto.

yeh yeh

Reaction score
Here's wat I do when driving my auto, don't think everyone agree of course,wen driving leisurely, see the traffic light on red, I put the gear in N, cruise up to the light, applying the brake if needed,you will fined you need less effort when in N than in D, wen the light turns green, just put it back in D and away u go, or if on a hill,just leave it in D,if you feel the car rolling back just apply the gas accordingly until the car stay still, and wen the light turn green,just touch the gas peddle, and away u go,before anyone say that will wear the gearbox out,I've been driving that way for the past good 30-40 years,and I have not had any gearbox trouble so far,I find it a lot easier to move the leaver to N then to D, and vice versa,quicker than from P.

NP46

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MY16 GOLF R DSG: C220 Gone.
My other car is a manual with three pedals but I've only got two feet :confused:

People generally can't do left foot braking mainly because nobody will ever be taught it by qualified driving instructors, mainly because it's absolutely pointless on the road, it's a Motorsport thing.

However, everyone is entitled to do as they like but some must accept what they do is not the 'norm' and generally for good reason.

Google extract...

It is not recommended on road cars, especially for those inexperienced in it (to which it is generally not advised, unless in a Rally stage). The reasons being shocks due to unsmooth braking, damage to the drive train due to both acceleration and braking, and lost of body support by not operating the footrest with the left foot.

Last edited:

davidsw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XKR ,Jaguar S-Type, Porsche Boxster S
Does it really matter how someone else drives their auto....for goodness sake this thread has been beaten to death. NO more please !!

AndyRTH

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK 350 AMG 2004
When I first drove an auto I had to do an emergency stop, I hit the break with my left foot ( muscle memory acting like I was pressing a clutch pedal )and sent everything in the car flying. From then on I have only ever used my right foot. The only question I have is if using the left foot for breaking are you more likely to only depress the clutch when trying to do an emergency stop in a manual car?

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
When I first drove an auto I had to do an emergency stop, I hit the break with my left foot ( muscle memory acting like I was pressing a clutch pedal )and sent everything in the car flying. From then on I have only ever used my right foot. The only question I have is if using the left foot for breaking are you more likely to only depress the clutch when trying to do an emergency stop in a manual car?

Yes, the first time someone tries it they will over brake, purely because you push a clutch pedal all the way down, and the brake pedal only requires the the correct pressure to stop. One soon gets used to it when you are driving both all the time.

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
What's all this 2 pedal nonsense? Sat in the big comfy seat of my W221 with both feet planted squarely on the floor.

I use the cruise control to build up to requisite speed, firm flick up increases speed by 5mph, then flick down decreases by 5mph. Anticipate traffic ahead and flick cruise off so i gradually decelerate, no need for brakes!!!

When stationary tap the brake pedal to activate the stop/start and hold. Gently tap the accelerator to get moving after engine restarted.

Chee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E240/2004/2.6 & S350 CDI/2012
You forgot to use your Distronic Plus and for Parking the Parking Assist.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I have used 2 feet for the last 55 years with left foot braking, and not driven a manual car for many years, I had a manual loan car 2 years back and I drove with no problem at all.

exjagman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
59 E350 cdi avantgarde luxury pack.command.ILS.Tanzanite blue beige leather
Left foot braking? My legs are too short and my feet are too big.
My left foot stays planted on the footrest;)

phoenix550

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W220 S320
In an emergency it should always be your first instinct to hit the brakes with your right foot therefore removing it from the accelerator ;)

But if your left foot is already on the break pedal you can apply it that much quicker in an emergency.

phoenix550

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W220 S320
Bottom line, it takes more skill and a better driver to left foot brake.
Schumi used left foot braking, Barrichello used his right foot.

exjagman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
59 E350 cdi avantgarde luxury pack.command.ILS.Tanzanite blue beige leather
I think a lot of people consider themselves better drivers than anyone else, Bottom line is whichever way you feel most comfortable with is the best way for you:)

phoenix550

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W220 S320
Keep yer knickers on Peter.

People have given reasons, for example, because when you look to brake, the natural thing to do (and safe) is to remove one foot from the accelerator pedal to apply the brake. If those reasons aren't sufficient for you, fair enough.

You've chosen to use an unconventional method to drive your car - best of luck with that.

Actually, it takes about 0.7 seconds to remove your right foot from the throttle to the brake pedal so I would argue that it's safer to left foot brake.

I've been left foot braking for so long that right foot braking feels unnatural and wrong to me.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom