I don't understand tyres...

hotrodder

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 320te, '54 ragtop beetle (in bits)
It should be fairly obvious as the staggered set up has a noticably deeper dish on the 1" wider rears for example...
312418d1275879244-f-s-17-amg-monoblock-aero-monoblock-17-004.jpg

OP
Salforal

Salforal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 E220
DOH!!! :Oops:

I think I'll buy something simple instead!!

Last edited:

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
@ EmilysDad: AFAIK, yes the rims are the same width. They are standard 17" AMG rims as factory-fitted to a C43 as it rolled off the production line.

The rims fitted to EmilysMum's Smart Roadster at the factory are different ie the rears are wider than the fronts & have a different offset

(confusingly for this thread ....... the tyres are the same size front & back)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
DOH!!! :Oops:

I think I'll buy something simple instead!!

This is quite simple once you get your head around it, just stick with it and it will all fall into place ;)

OP
Salforal

Salforal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 E220
Does anyone know if the std factory 17" rims for a W202 C43 would all be the same width?

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Does anyone know if the std factory 17" rims for a W202 C43 would all be the same width?

What's it matter? As & when you need tyres, you go to a tyre bay & say I want to buy two/four of those to fit my car. ;) ;) ;) ;)

(There's be a size some where on the rim. It's expressed in inches followed by J ie 8J which means the width of the rim where the tyre is fitted in 8 inches. ;))

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
What's it matter? As & when you need tyres, you go to a tyre bay & say I want to buy two/four of those to fit my car. ;) ;) ;) ;)

(There's be a size some where on the rim. It's expressed in inches followed by J ie 8J which means the width of the rim where the tyre is fitted in 8 inches. ;))

In some places that's tempting fate as they tend to sell you the tyres they have in stock rather than exactly what you need :( best to go knowing exactly what the correct tyre fitment is for your car --- size/ speed rating/ manufacturer etc. Too many posts on here where people have relied on the advice from a commercial organisation i.e. garage to sell them the correct part/ service/repair :rolleyes:

Last edited:

rlw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK55
I do not understand where the OP is coming from here. The tyres are the right size for the car, the rear will be a tad more expensive. The benefits of the wider rear will be neglible but measurable. If the OP cannot understand that this is how the car was specced and what the benefits might be, perhaps he/she should consider something else - like public transport. Sorry to be harsh but sheesh..........

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
In some places that's tempting fate as they tend to sell you the tyres they have in stock rather than exactly what you need :( best to go knowing exactly what the correct tyre fitment is for your car --- size/ speed rating/ manufacturer etc. Too many posts on here where people have relied on the advice from a commercial organisation i.e. garage to sell them the correct part/ service/repair :rolleyes:

Maybe I should have said - go to a 'reputable' tyre bay ............ ;)

yorkshire1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
"98 S202 C250TD Manual hybrid
my aim is to have rims spaced out or right offset to fill the arches that "look right" with narrow enough tyres to avoid stressing them on the single lane speed bumps in some of our local towns (I hate those premanufactured square edged bolt down type especially) and enough sidewall for the rural potholes.. for my 202 that would be 225/50/17, just have to find the right 17 inch monoblocs now !!

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
my aim is to have rims spaced out or right offset to fill the arches that "look right" with narrow enough tyres to avoid stressing them on the single lane speed bumps in some of our local towns (I hate those premanufactured square edged bolt down type especially) and enough sidewall for the rural potholes.. for my 202 that would be 225/50/17, just have to find the right 17 inch monoblocs now !!

Wont your tyres be 22.5mm to big then in the diameter?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Wont your tyres be 22.5mm to big then in the diameter?

I did this on my SL when I had the 19" wheels, I went down on the width by one size, so 275 rather than the 285 and up one size on the profile.

The result was a much better ride and the speedo error had gone and it read spot on at 30 mph.

The other bonus was they were not mercedes sizes and the tyres were very much cheaper

Last edited:

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Yep, but in the case above the correct tyre would be 225/45, so a 50 would increase the likelihood of fouling at the front.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It was quite a common practice back then to roll the front of the wheel arches, it was recommended to do that with my SL wheels, but I was OK and no rubbing

OP
Salforal

Salforal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 E220
Maybe I should have said - go to a 'reputable' tyre bay ............ ;)

I have always used reputable tyre suppliers, always ensured the correct tyre for my car/wheels and have never scrimped on the cost, thank you.

OP
Salforal

Salforal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 E220
I do not understand where the OP is coming from here. The tyres are the right size for the car, the rear will be a tad more expensive. The benefits of the wider rear will be neglible but measurable. If the OP cannot understand that this is how the car was specced and what the benefits might be, perhaps he/she should consider something else - like public transport. Sorry to be harsh but sheesh..........

I don't know if this was meant to be arrogant and condescending but that's how it came across.

I accept how this and any other car is specified. What I am trying to do is understand the theory/geometry/physics or whatever behind the principle, i.e. the why. Please excuse me for trying to broaden my education and understanding of how and why cars are put together differently!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I don't know if this was meant to be arrogant and condescending but that's how it came across.

I accept how this and any other car is specified. What I am trying to do is understand the theory/geometry/physics or whatever behind the principle, i.e. the why. Please excuse me for trying to broaden my education and understanding of how and why cars are put together differently!

Its a good thread, some of the sidewalls are very stiff and quite a few can learn something here.

The hard facts are some tyres are just horrible to drive on

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
It was quite a common practice back then to roll the front of the wheel arches

Still is common, a friend of mine has an arch roller, very good bit of kit, the "euro look" boys do it.

The theory on wider rears is to put more rubber on he road therefore increasing grip, aesthetically it looks better as the rear arch is filled.

For example I have 8x17" ET35 wheels all round on my W203 but have 225/45 front and 245/40 rear tyres which are correct for the car and maintain the rolling radius of the wheel / tyre combination and keep the speedo reading what it should.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom