Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Have you ever considered employing a broker to find a car for you?

Your story is a similar tale, but the problem you have is your only market is autotrader whereas a broker may know of a car in a collection that someone is willing to sell off market or source you one directly from a main dealer group.

For example, I had a customer who was looking for an SLR in December who had looked across Europe at the advertised ones, with no joy and yet I sold him exactly what he wanted from a private collection.

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
I think the OP's heart is set on an AMG. When this is the case, nothing, no matter how close it gets in performance will match it.

I've only driven the 2011 6.3 V8 E63 and TBH, I wouldn't be surprised if the in the real world the CL500 bi-turbo is actually quicker. But, I get, if one wants an AMG, an AMG it must be.

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dreaming of a CL55k - one day maybe....
Yeh, sadly I get that too..... it's the same for me - I wanted a 215 CL55K - however as time has rolled on, I find myself seeing 216's becoming very affordable and obviously much more modern...... But that AMG thing is always there..

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
Yep patience is the key. I looked at 3 216 CL's over 12 months (the only ones on the market that whole year) - all 3 were not nice, so gave up. 6 months later one parked right next to me locally, I couldn't believe it. Had to wait 4 months before the owner would sell, but worth the wait.

Reactions: DSK

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yep patience is the key. I looked at 3 216 CL's over 12 months (the only ones on the market that whole year) - all 3 were not nice, so gave up. 6 months later one parked right next to me locally, I couldn't believe it. Had to wait 4 months before the owner would sell, but worth the wait.

Its very much the case if its something you'll keep for sometime or buy without the intention to sell. Its why I like to see older one/two owner cars, they care enough for it so its unlikely to have been abused compared to several owners who just pass it on when a service or set of tyres is due.

There's a CLS55 that visits a household on the next street to us. Always drives past sensibly and see it about twice a month and looks clean enough all round, exhausts have no odd tell tale signs, wheels are pretty presentable, don't see any nicks as I cruise past slowly as is the bodywork. I have a note in my glove box ready to pop onto its windscreen... you never know.

Last edited:
OP
D

Deadeye-Detailing

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 CDI
I checked the MOT history of the second car i showed. Seams very low milage beween MOTs. Then i spoke to the owner he did dell me he recently baught new wheels for the car as they had been welded previously

Screenshot_20210301-180034_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20210301-180040_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20210301-180045_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20210301-180213_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20210301-180115_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20210301-180128_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20210301-180140_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20210301-180145_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20210301-180145_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20210301-180205_Chrome.jpg

OP
D

Deadeye-Detailing

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 CDI

Your story is a similar tale, but the problem you have is your only market is autotrader whereas a broker may know of a car in a collection that someone is willing to sell off market or source you one directly from a main dealer group.

For example, I had a customer who was looking for an SLR in December who had looked across Europe at the advertised ones, with no joy and yet I sold him exactly what he wanted from a private collection.
Yes i would consider this of cause! I take it thats what you do?

andys320

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes S211 280 CDi 2009, Porsche Boxster ,much missed Mercedes S320CDi 2003
Looking at MOT history on that second car I would be a little wary as to how it was looked after in its early life, a lot of those MOT failures should have been picked up as service items.

I note however last few are straight passes which suggests latest owner has maintained it.

Sorry - not trying to put you off, just my two cents worth, feel free to disregard.

Last edited:

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
But if the MOT falls a month or so before the service they wouldn't.

However yes, some of those items I wouldn't expect to see on a car of that age and type - may suggest a bit of mid-life neglect, but perhaps all put right now.

OP
D

Deadeye-Detailing

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 CDI
Yeh its not one for me that second car

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Does this float your boat?

Although I do hate the “loaded with every extra phrase”

He even says it’s not got keyless..... so not every extra then....

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Certainly don't expect to see corroded brake pipes that early. As with tyres, as I have said, very few can afford proper tyres so perhaps the car was financed to the hill leaving minimal left in ones wallet for tyres thus, leaving it until the last minute. In my experience, anything that's financed rather than owned outright, is treated with a bit of a half @rsed attitude as its not like ones going to keep it. However, it does appear to have fallen into the right kind of hands to prevent continued negligence and has probably had some good money spent (such as new wheels rather than run welded ones).

Keep looking and something will turn up that suits.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Does this float your boat?

Although I do hate the “loaded with every extra phrase”

He even says it’s not got keyless..... so not every extra then....
Used and new car dealers have a lot to answer for...:rolleyes:

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
so perhaps the car was financed to the hill leaving minimal left in ones wallet for tyres thus, leaving it until the last minute. In my experience, anything that's financed rather than owned outright, is treated with a bit of a half @rsed attitude as its not like ones going to keep it.

What an incredibly odd and strange sweeping generalisation!

So given 98% of new cars are financed in some way or other, 98% of secondhand cars should be avoided?

I would say the absolute opposite is true, if you neglect your car, you still have to pay the finance even if it blows up - so people look after them better.

But of course a generalisation like that is actually rubbish too.

You can’t really generalise, but if you are going to.....

There are three types of owners, ones who look after their cars really well, skimp on nothing and maintain them very well - these are obviously the ones to buy.

Those who maintain their cars, but do make some choices such as brand of tyre etc to keep running costs sensible - depending on what they have ‘compromised’ on these are the ones to watch

Those who buy their car and rarely if ever then spend anything on it (in my experience older owners buying older cheaper cars cash) who just run them into the ground, then throw them away or sell them when they get too many issues - these are the ones to run screaming from.

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You are right that there are people who try and look after their cars regardless and my comment was written a bit too brashly than what was truly intended.

However, what I meant to say was, that with the financing and hand back schemes I see more people just using a car as a tool and caring that bit less about it had they paid outright for it. This is from experience in travelling with colleagues and customers we get at our garages, just whacking them up on kerbs, flying over speed bumps, giving it bit of welly from cold and leaving the odd consumable until absolutely essential. Their comments are always along the lines of, we're not going to keep it so who cares...…

In the example above to me that would indicate one or more of the previous owners before the current, didn't really care to much about the car, to have several poorly worn tyres and distorted/cracked wheels and the number of brake hose issues but, its got into the right hands at the right time where things can be easily put right.

OP
D

Deadeye-Detailing

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 CDI
I have a price now, 3k, for head bolts if they go they go. Brakes im struggling to see why they are £1200 for the front only so ill deffinatly be looking at that. I guess ill keep looking. Looks like i have half of the forum looking for me at the same time!

Worh regard to the CL63 (remember im also considering a S63) i just ant see them loosing much more money. That shape whith a NA V8 has got to hold now just as the SL55 AMG has?

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200

I used to do similar in searching and buying cars for customers. Though most were classics and American models. You got to know what was tucked away out of sight. What surprised me more were the 'Joe Bloggs nobody types' who can have a nice collection stored away in a hidden garage behind there property ;) Plus word of mouth helped too. My mate had a small aeroplane which helps you can spot all sorts of objects you normally wouldn't see from the road.
I wouldn't have a clue how to go about doing this now :( It was a few years ago :shock:

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I may be wrong, but I think Carbon ceramic brakes standard on the CL63 hence the cost

OP
D

Deadeye-Detailing

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 CDI
I may be wrong, but I think Carbon ceramic brakes standard on the CL63 hence the cost
Not the ones ive seen. If they were i wouldnt entertain them at all! Had Carbon Ceramics on a Lambo and they were horrid unless really hot.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom