idler replacement

STEc74

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My car SL 350 05,sons car CLK320,other cars BMW 318IS ,95, 1964 Chev Corvair Monza restoring.
Hi,the self adjusting idler on my sons 05 CLK 320 avantgaurd is slightly moving when engine running and as he turns the steering to full lock theres a rattling sound,he has just ordered a new one and awaiting its arival,is there any problems we might come accross doing this our selves,any advice welcome,thanks..........Steve.

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
If you are talking about the auto tensioner then I would say that has to move and will move slightly when the engine is running. Its spring loaded and the engine torque is greater than the spring.

Maybe you have more of an issue with the alternator clutch pulley??

OP
STEc74

STEc74

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My car SL 350 05,sons car CLK320,other cars BMW 318IS ,95, 1964 Chev Corvair Monza restoring.
When i said slightly moving i meant more of a eratic movement as though its loose,i have looked at the pulley on my sl350 which is the same as the clk320 when running theres no movement, thanks for reply.

Last edited:

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom