Initial review of SL500

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
:shock: I think I may have just bought a SL55..............Will confirm tomorrow......

OP
rexemper

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
Ooooh, exciting!!

Do tell...

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
:shock: I think I may have just bought a SL55..............Will confirm tomorrow......

Congrats (I hope) Is it the berry red one ?

It's a "bad ass" car (as I believe the young people say.)

Last edited:

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks guys, hopefully we will pick up it tomorrow if all goes well. No John its not the cherry and black one (that one was a very dodgy car) this one is black on black, but with silver wheels, just to break it up a bit. The history shows never failed an mot and the worse it got was 2 advisories for tyres nearing legal limit. 92,000mls and unmolested. Hardly any supercharger noise when driving and no engine noise at idle, mind you the exhaust I thought would have been a little more noisier, maybe I didn't rev it high enough. Mind you the dealer did say he heard me drive off on a test drive. It was a very damp road and no way one could experience it full enjoyment.:cool:

nicholas15

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
s class w221 - 2012 350 Bluetec, SL500 r230 2003
Thanks guys, hopefully we will pick up it tomorrow if all goes well. No John its not the cherry and black one (that one was a very dodgy car) this one is black on black, but with silver wheels, just to break it up a bit. The history shows never failed an mot and the worse it got was 2 advisories for tyres nearing legal limit. 92,000mls and unmolested. Hardly any supercharger noise when driving and no engine noise at idle, mind you the exhaust I thought would have been a little more noisier, maybe I didn't rev it high enough. Mind you the dealer did say he heard me drive off on a test drive. It was a very damp road and no way one could experience it full enjoyment.:cool:

Exciting!
Look forward to pictures and seeing it in the flesh in due course!
Nicholas

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes difinately pictures to come ;)

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I thought you were looking for SL's under £6k! That SL55 will be alot more than that but an awesome car none the less.

Yes that was the intension, however this was a bit of a spur of the moment and having a great wife who said she will give me some money towards it helped. One consolation is she said I have to sell two of my cars from my collection as we don't have the space anymore to store them :(

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I now have a SL55 and what a mission it was to get insured :rolleyes: First off my insurer declined the insurance and while they were trying to find out why we were cut off so had to restart again. Turned out the engine cc rating exceeded their allowance, when it was overridden the customer service guy had his computer system locked out. So they then had to phone the under-righters and this took another 30 minutes :mad: To cut a long story short here is the first picture before driving out of the dealer yard.
More will follow but it will have to be clean ;)

And on the way home :cool:

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Looking forward to more pics , you will have to change your username to 00SL now :p

OP
rexemper

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
Awesome!!!!

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
Fab, you'll have to start your own thread now !

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Very nice. I haven't seen that one for sale online. Does the number plate come with it?

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Fab, you'll have to start your own thread now !

Yes I will do that, it does need a little TLC here and there, both batteries are past their use by date, so a good excuse to start my own thread. I do have a bad habit of hijacking :Oops:

Very nice. I haven't seen that one for sale online. Does the number plate come with it?

No that plate is staying with the last owner. I don't think it was advertised although I did see it on the net today at the dealers.

I had no intention of buying a 55 as they are well outside my budget but as we were going to London for a break for a few days decided it would be rude not to view a few SL500's. Deciding to drive the A1 we just happened to go passed a dealer who I drive by regularly on my journeys and have noticed quite a few Mercedes for sale in there.
Saturday on our way we decided to call in and they had two 55's and 500's and a 350. I just had to test drive the SL55 and to see that it hadn't been started for quite awhile I was most taken with no noise or rumbles on start up (although the batteries were knackered it still started with the usual systems off line etc) It was bonkers on the test drive in the damp conditions and by the time 20 minutes had passed and the battery sparked up a little and things started to work in the electrical department. :grin: We left with a big grin factor and on to see another one, which too needed a bit of TLC but not too shabby. Though my heart was set on this SL55 beast and anything else was not in the same league. Come today and I had to go for a much more sedate test drive ;) The rest is history..................Time to start my own thread :cool:
Me happy, wife broke!!!

Peter

Last edited:

nicholas15

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
s class w221 - 2012 350 Bluetec, SL500 r230 2003
Yes I will do that, it does need a little TLC here and there, both batteries are past their use by date, so a good excuse to start my own thread. I do have a bad habit of hijacking :Oops:

No that plate is staying with the last owner. I don't think it was advertised although I did see it on the net today at the dealers.

I had no intention of buying a 55 as they are well outside my budget but as we were going to London for a break for a few days decided it would be rude not to view a few SL500's. Deciding to drive the A1 we just happened to go passed a dealer who I drive by regularly on my journeys and have noticed quite a few Mercedes for sale in there.
Saturday on our way we decided to call in and they had two 55's and 500's and a 350. I just had to test drive the SL55 and to see that it hadn't been started for quite awhile I was most taken with no noise or rumbles on start up (although the batteries were knackered it still started with the usual systems off line etc) It was bonkers on the test drive in the damp conditions and by the time 20 minutes had passed and the battery sparked up a little and things started to work in the electrical department. :grin: We left with a big grin factor and on to see another one, which too needed a bit of TLC but not too shabby. Though my heart was set on this SL55 beast and anything else was not in the same league. Come today and I had to go for a much more sedate test drive ;) The rest is history..................Time to start my own thread :cool:
Me happy, wife broke!!!

Peter

Good story about the car and a supportive wife! You are a lucky man.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I now have a SL55 and what a mission it was to get insured :rolleyes: First off my insurer declined the insurance and while they were trying to find out why we were cut off so had to restart again. Turned out the engine cc rating exceeded their allowance, when it was overridden the customer service guy had his computer system locked out. So they then had to phone the under-righters and this took another 30 minutes :mad: To cut a long story short here is the first picture before driving out of the dealer yard.
More will follow but it will have to be clean ;)

And on the way home :cool:

Well done, very very nice and a case study of waiting for the right one!

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom