Intelligent lighting system. R231

Bay Leaf

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 350 R231 2013
How does this work. Before anyone says it's in the hand book or command center, I know. I've set the headlights to auto whereby if you have them on main beam they will automatically dip when there is an approaching vehicle. However since I've done that I can't select main beam manually their on dip all the time. I know the easy answer would be to set them back to normal mode, but I'm sure there must be an explanation.:confused:

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
How does this work. Before anyone says it's in the hand book or command center, I know. I've set the headlights to auto whereby if you have them on main beam they will automatically dip when there is an approaching vehicle. However since I've done that I can't select main beam manually their on dip all the time. I know the easy answer would be to set them back to normal mode, but I'm sure there must be an explanation.:confused:

You either turn it all off in the dash cluster or just turn your lights to 'ON' instead of 'AUTO' ..... I agree with you especially when you're on a narrow B road & you want your main beam on but are going slower than 30/35 mph

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
You either turn it all off in the dash cluster or just turn your lights to 'ON' instead of 'AUTO' ..... I agree with you especially when you're on a narrow B road & you want your main beam on but are going slower than 30/35 mph
I think that speed-limit only applies in built-up areas......I live in a rural area and have not noticed that going slow does not switch to high beam.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
I think that speed-limit only applies in built-up areas......I live in a rural area and have not noticed that going slow does not switch to high beam.

ILS won't switch to main beam in a well lit built up area anyway, what ever speed you're doing. ;)
My car definitely has a minimum speed before they switch over to main beam .....

Wearsafoxhat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E55k :S211, SL500 :R129 , V220
I think it is more two do with light. In town our main beam very rarely comes on but in open countryside it works perfectly well, at any speed. ( MY19 V220).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
I think it is more two do with light. In town our main beam very rarely comes on but in open countryside it works perfectly well, at any speed. ( MY19 V220).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
@EmilysDad

The newer cars use GPS to assist ILS (LED version), e.g. knows built-up areas and when approaching a roundabout the beams spread etc. As soon as we have a dry evening I'll take mine out for a test run but I've never felt the need to manually use high beams when on narrow & slow country roads.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom