1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is mileage an issue?

Discussion in 'General Mercedes-Benz Related Discussion' started by rodt, Nov 7, 2012.

1. rodt

rodt Guest

I feel the need for a V8 in my life and never having owned a Mercedes, note that 430CLK convertibles seem to be available now in my (low) price range.

One in particular I like the look of is for sale with full history (apparently) and 6 months MoT with (apparently) no advisories.

However, the recorded mileage for this 2001 model is 150,000. Bearing in mind that my annual mileage is likely to be no more than 5-6,000, should I look to spending a bit more for a lower mileage model or is this type of car capable of coping with high(ish) mileage.

Just as a guide, my preference is for a car that has been properly used and looked after rather than one that has sat around being polished. My 1996 MGF with 99,000 recorded is excellent; my 1975 Triumph with only 56,000 recorded is problematical.

I would be interested in the thought sof those who know the model and thank you for your time.

2. paul hayward

paul hayward Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    all MB sold..V70R now ;-)
    buy it and ENJOY IT!!:cool:...they are great fun...trust me:D

welcome by the way ;-)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  3. toby1

toby1 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    1998 CL420 C140
    Buy it tomorrow

4. OP
    rodt

rodt Guest

Thanks Paul. I had a feeling that was the sort of response I would get.

Over the past few years my buying pattern for cars has rarely exceeded 3 figures so paying out close to £3k is slightly alien to me. But there is something about the looks of the CLK that appeal apart from the V8 and all that goes with it.

Hopefully, next time I post will be as an actual Mercedes owner....

5. paul hayward

paul hayward Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    all MB sold..V70R now ;-)

you meant TODAY:D;)

I was really lucky with my CLK:cool:....it was more or less "Found" for me and got it at a good price as desperate seller...needs a bit of TLC here n there but ...just watch this space...Resto thread to follow a little sooner than i thought:lol:.. fingers crossed for you:cool:...dont forget PICTURES!;)

6. grober

grober Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W204 C200cdi estate
    Just check that all the " convertible" bits work Roll over "tombstone" bars and the hood mechanism. Lots of "bitties" to go wrong and can need expert fettling to get working again reliably.

7. television

television Always remembered RIP

Your Mercedes:
    2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
    One has to consider that in 150k miles all parts will not be as tight as a 25k mile car, it did not do me much good buying a low mileage 18k miles SL and it cost me thousands within no time. Just be prepared for things like roll bar links and other bushes that may need replacement.

True with only a few k mile per year not much should happen, the car must have been good to have so far through life, so why not

8. st4

st4 Banned

Your Mercedes:
    Disqualified driver
    Engine will be fine but interior bits won't be as nice as a younger car, suspension components either clapped out if hardly driven or freshly changed.

It could be a peach or a shed, without having it looked at and a good drive you won't know.

9. Steve@Avantgarde

Steve@Avantgarde Forum Supporter Authorised Forum Supporter

Your Mercedes:
    C220CDI AMG Line Premium, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
    Mileage will not be an issue providing it has a good service history and has been well maintained.

My family have lots of high mileage Mercs and they are in better condition than some with half their mileage.

10. MBDevotee

MBDevotee Active Senior Members

Your Mercedes:
    53 270CDI CLK Avantguard + ML500 with LPG
    Better to be used than sat in a shed