Is mileage an issue?

R

rodt

I feel the need for a V8 in my life and never having owned a Mercedes, note that 430CLK convertibles seem to be available now in my (low) price range.

One in particular I like the look of is for sale with full history (apparently) and 6 months MoT with (apparently) no advisories.

However, the recorded mileage for this 2001 model is 150,000. Bearing in mind that my annual mileage is likely to be no more than 5-6,000, should I look to spending a bit more for a lower mileage model or is this type of car capable of coping with high(ish) mileage.

Just as a guide, my preference is for a car that has been properly used and looked after rather than one that has sat around being polished. My 1996 MGF with 99,000 recorded is excellent; my 1975 Triumph with only 56,000 recorded is problematical.

I would be interested in the thought sof those who know the model and thank you for your time.

paul hayward

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
all MB sold..V70R now ;-)
buy it and ENJOY IT!!:cool:...they are great fun...trust me:D

welcome by the way ;-)

Last edited:
OP
R

rodt

Thanks Paul. I had a feeling that was the sort of response I would get.

Over the past few years my buying pattern for cars has rarely exceeded 3 figures so paying out close to £3k is slightly alien to me. But there is something about the looks of the CLK that appeal apart from the V8 and all that goes with it.

Hopefully, next time I post will be as an actual Mercedes owner....

paul hayward

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
all MB sold..V70R now ;-)
Buy it tomorrow

you meant TODAY:D;)

Thanks Paul. I had a feeling that was the sort of response I would get.

Over the past few years my buying pattern for cars has rarely exceeded 3 figures so paying out close to £3k is slightly alien to me. But there is something about the looks of the CLK that appeal apart from the V8 and all that goes with it.

Hopefully, next time I post will be as an actual Mercedes owner....

I was really lucky with my CLK:cool:....it was more or less "Found" for me and got it at a good price as desperate seller...needs a bit of TLC here n there but ...just watch this space...Resto thread to follow a little sooner than i thought:lol:.. fingers crossed for you:cool:...dont forget PICTURES!;)

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
Just check that all the " convertible" bits work Roll over "tombstone" bars and the hood mechanism. Lots of "bitties" to go wrong and can need expert fettling to get working again reliably.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
One has to consider that in 150k miles all parts will not be as tight as a 25k mile car, it did not do me much good buying a low mileage 18k miles SL and it cost me thousands within no time. Just be prepared for things like roll bar links and other bushes that may need replacement.

True with only a few k mile per year not much should happen, the car must have been good to have so far through life, so why not

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
Engine will be fine but interior bits won't be as nice as a younger car, suspension components either clapped out if hardly driven or freshly changed.

It could be a peach or a shed, without having it looked at and a good drive you won't know.

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Mileage will not be an issue providing it has a good service history and has been well maintained.

My family have lots of high mileage Mercs and they are in better condition than some with half their mileage.

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dreaming of a CL55k - one day maybe....
Better to be used than sat in a shed

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom