Is there a better way to clear rust from car chrome?

Me22

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210
W124 left in a garage for few years. The chrome has rusted. No damage to the metal. Just the colour has changed to dark reddish brown similar to brass or bronze colour.
There is so much of it. All the chrome on the roof, around the windscreen,...etc.
I tested a small area with a chrome rust removing liquid. It improved it a bit but not brilliant and it will need a lot of time and effort.
Do you know of an effective chrome rust remover substance or a way to clear it?

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
Aluminium foil .

OP
M

Me22

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210

Mr Greedy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350/2011/OM642 265bhp
If this were a pro restoration job, they would remove the trim and either buff on a high speed polishing mop wheel, or re-chrome.
I only mention this as an insight into the probable answer, which as you have suggested, is likely to involve a large amount of hard work.

Older chrome was chrome played steel. Modern chrome plating is usually nickel plated first for corrosion protection, and then chrome plated (I think chrome plating had a lot of micro holes, hence the corrosion without the buckle plate).

If you removed all the trim yourself, re-chroming isn't all that expensive and will broadly stop this from happening in future. It might be worth weighing up hours of work buffing by hand, vs hours of work removing and refitting?

How much chrome are we talking here?
Like this?

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
Would not a lot of the trim be aluminium or stainless steel? Hand polishing in situ with a metal polish will be time consuming but gives good results. There's not much you can do with pitted chrome plate though. A very fine Scotchbrite well lubricated will reduce the appearance of rust pits, but the only real solution is to rechrome. Expensive to get it triple plated (copper/nickel/chrome layers), but avoid some places who will simply put a layer of chrome on bare metal. Won't last very long. Depends how far you want to go with it.

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
I have used very fine wire wool and i mean very fine to clean up lots of items including chrome ..And you shouild try it on your front screen you will be amazed at what comes off it .

OP
M

Me22

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210
If this were a pro restoration job, they would remove the trim and either buff on a high speed polishing mop wheel, or re-chrome.
I only mention this as an insight into the probable answer, which as you have suggested, is likely to involve a large amount of hard work.

Older chrome was chrome played steel. Modern chrome plating is usually nickel plated first for corrosion protection, and then chrome plated (I think chrome plating had a lot of micro holes, hence the corrosion without the buckle plate).

If you removed all the trim yourself, re-chroming isn't all that expensive and will broadly stop this from happening in future. It might be worth weighing up hours of work buffing by hand, vs hours of work removing and refitting?

How much chrome are we talking here?
Like this?

The video makes it look easy to remove.

morgluis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 GLA 250 2.0
Wire wool with some chrome polish.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom