I've just been done by the Police

Dave's E55 AMG

Reaction score
Our friendly police have just done me out of £30. They stopped me and checked my glass with their Tintman. That's right they've done me for the privacy glass on the front 2 windows. It showed a reading of 31 and should be above 70. I see what MB have to say when it's in for it's service on Tuesday as seen as they fitted the glass when it was new.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
This is an odd one Dave, so it has windows that MB offer ??

OP
D

Dave's E55 AMG

Reaction score
Part of the option pack when it was bought 4 1/2 years ago by the footballer Alan Stubbs. The front 2 windows are slighty lighter than the back 2, but still don't meet within the legal requirements. I wonder if the spec has been tighted by the law over the last few years.

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
What year is your car. I got my last car tinted in 2003. The law changed not long after regarding tints forward of B piller. I think 1st January 2004 is the date the new law came into force.

Russ

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
August 03 -

Window Tinting - Amendments to Legislation

During the early part of 2004, Section 32 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations will be amended to include "Window Tint Films", where such materials attached to the glass are capable of reducing the Visible Light Transmission of forward windows to below prescribed levels. These changes will be back-dated to become applicable from 1st January 2004.

Russ

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I'm not sure if it's a film or the glass itself.

If it is the glass itself, then how could MB know the law would be changed years later. How can that be illegal?
If it is film, the following is from Pentagon site.

Implications for the vehicle owner

After much discussion, a sympathetic Enforcement Policy has been agreed between the Department for Transport and The Glass and Glazing Federation to ensure that all vehicle owners that have had tints applied in the past may be dealt with fairly. This applies in particular where the infringement is with respect to tints that do not pose a significant threat to Road Safety, despite being in contravention with the amended Regulations.

In any event, after the date of the amendment to Section 32, the owner of a vehicle that has window tints applied forward of the B-Post could be challenged by either a Police Officer or by an Inspector from the Department for Transport's Vehicle Inspectorate, where their vehicle is noticed being driven on Public Roads.

Where such a vehicle is stopped and the window tints applied are such that the Visible Light Transmission level, when measured using an approved device falls to below prescribed levels, the following enforcement guidelines have been agreed with, and recommended, by the Government.

Above 30% Visible Light Transmission (Less Severe Window Tints)

The owner or driver of such a vehicle would be required to have the tinted film removed from the windows under the direction of either a Rectification Notice or a Delayed Prohibition Notice. A period of grace will apply for a limited number of days (normally ten) during which time the vehicle may be driven whilst the rectification work is to be completed.

In either case, the vehicle will need to be inspected by either a Police Officer or Vehicle Inspectorate Officer to confirm that the glass has been restored to a compliant condition. Prosecution is unlikely in such circumstances provided the vehicle owner complies fully.

Action that needs to be taken

All Businesses that have supplied window tints forward of the B-Post are being encouraged by the Government and the Glass and Glazing Federation to contact all of their previous customers to inform them of the changes to Legislation and to offer them a chance to have their vehicle rectified by having the front tints removed.

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
Hi,
As your car was tinted from the factory before the new law was passed i would think that you would be ok and that the Police were ill informed, lets hope that this is the case.

OP
D

Dave's E55 AMG

Reaction score
It'll been interesting to see what MB say on Tuesday.

Thanks for that Russ, I'll see if I can scratch the film tomorrow.

OP
D

Dave's E55 AMG

Reaction score
From what I understand at the moment is - if it's film on the glass I have to remove it or if it's the glass that's tinted I may be exempt.

Aussie Nick

Reaction score
Look up the actual Legislation and rules. Unless Parliament made it specifically and absolutely clear, without any ambiguity, that the legislation was to apply retrospectively then you would have a total defence to the charge. The court should bend over backwards to assist you. Then it will be a matter of costs against the Police ( if this is the practice in your jurisdiction).

maddog

Reaction score
How annoying , lets hope it is film and removable

I got my E class done after the difference it made to my Skyline , so much cooler in the summer getting into the car .

The tint gets progressivly lighter from the back to the front the front windows are untinted

IMGP0029-2.jpg

FWIW if it is film its best to get it removed by a window tinter as they have special cleaners to get rid of the glue , its a very messy DIY job otherwise

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
If we are talking valve caps count me in :D:D

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
I think to be fair most of us would agree that the law on tinting of windows in front of the B pillar was a necessary safety measure otherwise every modded Astra would be nearly blacked out. Anything which limits the driver's visibility is surely undesirable.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom