Just bought a W222 S Class

the director

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 R 350 Grand Edition; 2015 S 350
I did similar i.e. go from a 221 to 222. From memory, I couldn't get the traffic data working until after I had to set the car up through registering an account with the Mercedes Me app.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
One tip for the OP. Buy a genuine set of floormats from MB if the cars a keeper and keep them for later down the line. MB have a very short run of manufacturing floor mats.

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
One tip for the OP. Buy a genuine set of floormats from MB if the cars a keeper and keep them for later down the line. MB have a very short run of manufacturing floor mats.
Good point, on my CL only the AMG Black ones were left. Not such a problem, as I do have proper AMG wheels to match.
And the velour is a little smoother, which I prefer, than the std. black ones.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
I also have to agree that usually I prefer to buy any car privately and put the money the money in the hands of someone in more need to feed a family/buy something due to changing circumstances than like the pockets of dealers/traders. However so long as the car is right, it should sell itself, with a decent reasonable seller (private or trade) just being a bonus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

this is becoming too risky - in today's world we have so much money that can be made, its no longer a 300 quid rusty mini sold by your neighbour - but a 50k scam

stolen ringed cars - only the chassis stamping in one location matches the Reg number - its the insurers car regardless what you've paid
outstanding finance - most people are in debt up to their eyeballs - if there's finance outstanding its the loan companies car regardless what you've paid
insurance bodge up - three cars welded up and painted - they spend more on the paint and filler than the welding, then get a techy mate to make the lights go out
mileage adjustments - the only bit showing the mileage you bought is the speedo, 7 other modules show its been round the world 3 times
then we get approved used 2 years nearly as good as first purchase warranty, or you go private and get a bit of glossy paper from an imaginary company

the sensible approach for the last 2 years and ongoing LEASE and BIN IT or get ethical and just walk (its faster these days anyway)

OP
S

steve.link

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 W222 S500, 2019 W213 E220
Steve did you have proper cruise control on the old one ?

if not this will be the interesting toy for you...

Traffic on the 221 was free and the slow only major roads clunky thing - but over the years it seems they update more often than the 20 min update it used to use
I had normal cruise control on my W221 but the W222 has Distronic. - Not had a chance to "play" with it yet. The traffic updates on the 221 were OK ish. I accepted they were sometimes inaccurate but better than nothing!
I also have to agree that usually I prefer to buy any car privately and put the money the money in the hands of someone in more need to feed a family/buy something due to changing circumstances than like the pockets of dealers/traders. However so long as the car is right, it should sell itself, with a decent reasonable seller (private or trade) just being a bonus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have been looking for a nice W222 since August but nothing came up that matched what I wanted. The one I now have ticked every box so it was a "no brainer" Still got a few "techie" things to work out, e.g. how to connect headphones to the rear screens, comand remote not working, Mercedes me/connectivity. Also got this in the rear arm rest - looks like a phone but it also works the massage seats

Attachments

• w222 rear phone.jpeg
    w222 rear phone.jpeg
    126.3 KB · Views: 11

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
I had normal cruise control on my W221 but the W222 has Distronic. - Not had a chance to "play" with it yet. The traffic updates on the 221 were OK ish. I accepted they were sometimes inaccurate but better than nothing!
no chance to play with distonic plus - this will be the eye opener for you then - you can use it more than the throttle pedal

here's an example - I test drove a hybrid 530 years back at Sytner High Wycombe, it had every toy possible on the options list with the exception of ACC (the proper acronym the industry uses for Active Cruise Control), I took it out to see if I could cope with old world cruise and it was terrible, the sales guy couldn't believe my attitude, saying he had never trusted cruise and wouldn't even use it if driving to Yorkshire,

I left in the S class, and had cruise control on within100m of leaving their site and left it on for the next 8 miles - as I turned on to the heavily contested A40, I tapped the stalk and fell asleep as the active cruise managed the traffic jam for me

Last edited:

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
comand remote not working, Mercedes me/connectivity. Also got this in the rear arm rest - looks like a phone but it also works the massage seats
I think the remote is for rear seat users only - to control the comand features they want to play with in the back - so having written that - I'm guessing it only has a feature set that makes sense to the rear passengers - and it would be odd/dangerous if the changes to the view and the sound in the front was so lively it might startle the driver

Last edited:
OP
S

steve.link

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I think the remote is for rear seat users only - to control the comand features they want to play with in the back - so having written that - I'm guessing it only has a features set that makes sense to the rear passengers - and it would be odd/dangerous if the changes to the view and the sound in the front was to lively it might startle the driver
Ah! - I guess that makes sense. It does work on the rear screens

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
get out and play with the cruise - I'd love to hear your reaction

its scary at first till you trust its brain can do it safely (most of the time...), for town work I set it two clicks back from as close as possible - it better manages stop start traffic - its also a bit safer in the rain in this position

the ONLY time I found it a nuisance was with a bunch of idiots near stansted, where I had to close it up (to up their arse or every hoodie and halfwit was dangerously pushing infront and making me go backwards) ...either something in the water that day or the people in that region - never seen it anywhere like that in the other 30k miles and 8 years - there were literally hundreds of fools squashing in, even when I had moved to the 2 second rule (the closest any ACC from BM or Merc allows)

Would like to hear how you find the later brain. Mine now, whilst more sophisticated with three radars to allow it to work in town where the BM one couldn't and just gave up at 15mph, is clearly dim witted, you can feel the delay as it does the maths - the BM was clear and decisive. On the motorway with the BM you literally forgot it was on the car - it was just always 100% correct. My merc is a dithering idiot - but mostly better than std cruise, sometimes perfect, and can do crawling in traffic jams OK so I cope. But its not anywhere near as safe as the BMW system of a similar vintage I had.

Oddly I have used three iterations of Rear SAM software and they all influence how the distronic plus behaves. But its not documented or well known by anybody...

Original Distronic Plus software (behaviours hidden inside the Rear SAM software no one knows about !)
- lead footed idiot, wastes petrol everywhere then has to over react
- in town, struggles to cope, till you learn to do 2 clicks back and use C on the gearbox
- incredibly well judged braking everywhere in all circumstances - smooth, safe and secure (a startling contrast to its throttle use)
- pointless kickdown to increase from 75 to 80 mph !
- noticeable braking as you put on more steering lock

Current SCN update (by Xentry dealer kit online - including all Radars and ABR updates to current standards)
- incompetent bag of dangerous rubbish !
- throttle now too little most of the time, dangerous on the motorway, but still a fair bit too much in traffic moving under 30mph
- brakes are now plain dangerous ! mostly doesn't bother ! then sometimes plays catch up at the last minute, often struggles to stop !!!
- noticeable change with little to no speed reduction when cornering
- noticeable change on instrument cluster display from correct, to misjudged ill thought out mess - no longer representative of what you see out the window

Back to a 2008 software release (some two years newer than original, but not the 2010 SCN rubbish offered today)
- a mixed bag mostly closer to the original iteration
- lead footed, wastes petrol - but crazy demented road rage attack you find in S, is no longer present as it was with original build
- averagely competent under braking - less safe and less well judged from original release - but at least the wife has stopped shouting at me !
- noticeable re introduction of braking with steering lock, maybe more mild than it was originally - now forgotten its there but I did when first went back
- noticeable change back towards the original cluster view is a halfway house - nearly right, instead of the original that was right

all of which provides you will the utmost confidence of Mercedes' ability to understand how to drive safely and their software writing abilities...

Last edited:

S500 Pete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500 (W222) 2014. Turbo 4.7 V8 with loads of toys. Superfast luxury.
Thanks Pete, I do have the seat quite far back so maybe that's why - do you know how to take out a subscription?
Hi,
Can't remember the full details but it was online and I didn't need to do anything with the car. I am sure Command online can also help.

OP
S

steve.link

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
get out and play with the cruise - I'd love to hear your reaction

its scary at first till you trust its brain can do it safely (most of the time...), for town work I set it two clicks back from as close as possible - it better manages stop start traffic - its also a bit safer in the rain in this position

the ONLY time I found it a nuisance was with a bunch of idiots near stansted, where I had to close it up (to up their arse or every hoodie and halfwit was dangerously pushing infront and making me go backwards) ...either something in the water that day or the people in that region - never seen it anywhere like that in the other 30k miles and 8 years - there were literally hundreds of fools squashing in, even when I had moved to the 2 second rule (the closest any ACC from BM or Merc allows)

Would like to hear how you find the later brain. Mine now, whilst more sophisticated with three radars to allow it to work in town where the BM one couldn't and just gave up at 15mph, is clearly dim witted, you can feel the delay as it does the maths - the BM was clear and decisive. On the motorway with the BM you literally forgot it was on the car - it was just always 100% correct. My merc is a dithering idiot - but mostly better than std cruise, sometimes perfect, and can do crawling in traffic jams OK so I cope. But its not anywhere near as safe as the BMW system of a similar vintage I had.

Oddly I have used three iterations of Rear SAM software and they all influence how the distronic plus behaves. But its not documented or well known by anybody...

Original Distronic Plus software (behaviours hidden inside the Rear SAM software no one knows about !)
- lead footed idiot, wastes petrol everywhere then has to over react
- in town, struggles to cope, till you learn to do 2 clicks back and use C on the gearbox
- incredibly well judged braking everywhere in all circumstances - smooth, safe and secure (a startling contrast to its throttle use)
- pointless kickdown to increase from 75 to 80 mph !
- noticeable braking as you put on more steering lock

Current SCN update (by Xentry dealer kit online - including all Radars and ABR updates to current standards)
- incompetent bag of dangerous rubbish !
- throttle now too little most of the time, dangerous on the motorway, but still a fair bit too much in traffic moving under 30mph
- brakes are now plain dangerous ! mostly doesn't bother ! then sometimes plays catch up at the last minute, often struggles to stop !!!
- noticeable change with little to no speed reduction when cornering
- noticeable change on instrument cluster display from correct, to misjudged ill thought out mess - no longer representative of what you see out the window

Back to a 2008 software release (some two years newer than original, but not the 2010 SCN rubbish offered today)
- a mixed bag mostly closer to the original iteration
- lead footed, wastes petrol - but crazy demented road rage attack you find in S, is no longer present as it was with original build
- averagely competent under braking - less safe and less well judged from original release - but at least the wife has stopped shouting at me !
- noticeable re introduction of braking with steering lock, maybe more mild than it was originally - now forgotten its there but I did when first went back
- noticeable change back towards the original cluster view is a halfway house - nearly right, instead of the original that was right

all of which provides you will the utmost confidence of Mercedes' ability to understand how to drive safely and their software writing abilities...
Botus

Used this today on the Motorway - very impressed! It seemed to work perfectly and I never felt nervous at all. Car braked and accelerated with plenty of space. First time I have driven a vehicle with this. Not messed about with any of the settings so far

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
great :)

I guess the switch is the same as all Mercs still ? if so, on what is very similar to std Merc cruise stalk, towards its end it has a little knob that rotates. This sets the gap to the traffic in front. Unlike most, the Merc one remembers your last set point (which is better - but less safe - BMW defaults to a 3.2 second rule and you immediately have to change it). This rotational switch has about 7 settings fully forward (anti clock) is as close as possible (2 second rule) fully clockwise is about a 4.5 second rule.

Next time the traffic stops, you can just see how it copes at the set speed you had, but if its looking like a disaster, drop set speed to 20mph so its less keen to floor it, and watch it do traffic - this is where it helps the most.

On mine if the traffic comes to a complete standstill, the car stops and stays stopped till you "authorise you are still awake" by flashing the stalk, or nudging up for a higher set speed - if the stop is only a split second it continues on regardless.

Note when using in high congestion with meandering traffic, at things like mini roundabouts it can lose the car it was following if they manoeuver rapidly and it may switch out and just drift, you can flash the stalk again (when its over the shock).

Mine very seldom did this next dangerous bit on the original software - almost 100% fails to react at all on the SCN current release software !!! and is 50 50 if it forgets on the 2008 software. If it hasn't noticed traffic for a while (due to traffic conditions) and a long way in front you see they are all stopping (like a long motorway exit to traffic light controlled stop). With the original software it looks so far up the road, it locks on to the stationary or slow traffic had time to time to calculate its dim brain and react like a normal driver. The 2008 software mostly gets muddled and quite often does nothing, but when it does it gets it right. The 2010 software does nothing and just crashes in to the traffic at full set speed with no warning and no reaction. On the exceptionally rare occasions it notices (and I mean rare) its very common it still leaves the braking far too late and can't stop and you have to ABS it to a rest. Oddly I don't use this last approved version any more on my car !!!!!!!!

I've used this on four brands

BMW of 2008 vintage - exceptional control and safe sensible decisiveness - better than 95% of all drivers
Mercedes 2005 brain - hardware date in diagnostics, parts got 2011 update (was good but dim and is slow to react - later updates made it dangerous)
Peugeot 2020 - very similar to Merc but stupid narrow beam so changing lanes its see gaps that don't exist between cars, thus floors it and muddles itself
VW 2019 - clunky and nasty like a learner - lacks smoothness of an average to poor driver

Last edited:
OP
S

steve.link

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
great :)

I guess the switch is the same as all Mercs still ? if so, on what is very similar to std Merc cruise stalk, towards its end it has a little knob that rotates. This sets the gap to the traffic in front. Unlike most, the Merc one remembers your last set point (which is better - but less safe - BMW defaults to a 3.2 second rule and you immediately have to change it). This rotational switch has about 7 settings fully forward (anti clock) is as close as possible (2 second rule) fully clockwise is about a 4.5 second rule.

Next time the traffic stops, you can just see how it copes at the set speed you had, but if its looking like a disaster, drop set speed to 20mph so its less keen to floor it, and watch it do traffic - this is where it helps the most.

On mine if the traffic comes to a complete standstill, the car stops and stays stopped till you "authorise you are still awake" by flashing the stalk, or nudging up for a higher set speed - if the stop is only a split second it continues on regardless.

Note when using in high congestion with meandering traffic, at things like mini roundabouts it can lose the car it was following if they manoeuver rapidly and it may switch out and just drift, you can flash the stalk again (when its over the shock).

Mine very seldom did this next dangerous bit on the original software - almost 100% fails to react at all on the SCN current release software !!! and is 50 50 if it forgets on the 2008 software. If it hasn't noticed traffic for a while (due to traffic conditions) and a long way in front you see they are all stopping (like a long motorway exit to traffic light controlled stop). With the original software it looks so far up the road, it locks on to the stationary or slow traffic had time to time to calculate its dim brain and react like a normal driver. The 2008 software mostly gets muddled and quite often does nothing, but when it does it gets it right. The 2010 software does nothing and just crashes in to the traffic at full set speed with no warning and no reaction. On the exceptionally rare occasions it notices (and I mean rare) its very common it still leaves the braking far too late and can't stop and you have to ABS it to a rest. Oddly I don't use this last approved version any more on my car !!!!!!!!

I've used this on four brands

BMW of 2008 vintage - exceptional control and safe sensible decisiveness - better than 95% of all drivers
Mercedes 2005 brain - hardware date in diagnostics, parts got 2011 update (was good but dim and is slow to react - later updates made it dangerous)
Peugeot 2020 - very similar to Merc but stupid narrow beam so changing lanes its see gaps that don't exist between cars, thus floors it and muddles itself
VW 2019 - clunky and nasty like a learner - lacks smoothness of an average to poor driver
Thanks for the insight - will try it out during some city driving. On the motorway it just accelerated and braked never came to a complete stop. I understand the safety issue in leaving a safe gap but the problem is some idiot always tries to get into the gap and you end up going "backwards"

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
yes, that can happen, when you are more comfortable with its operation, nudge it forward towards the 2 second rule, the car will cope on a motorway with ease and very few jump in to that gap - in the rain would be best to give yourself some more room than continuing to use that dry condition safe minimum gap

if you use 3 seconds cars will fill it quite often (and you effectively brake and drive backwards), if you indicate on your later model, you might not slow as much or it may accelerate a bit after you pull out

Last edited:

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom