Leaking rear axle seal at differential

pmay805

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E500 2003 / Acura RL 2003
Driver's (left side of car) rear axle seal is leaking at differential. This is what my Indie told me. It's a 2003 E500. Apparently it has just starting showing signs of leakage. Is this a serious problem? How soon should I have it repaired? Is it a complex / expensive job? Thanks for any input. :D

Last edited:

Corned

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 S211 E320CDI Avantgarde
I don't know how expensive/extensive the job is, but didn't your indie give you an idea at the time?

It's not a common problem, as this is the first post I recall on here mentioning such a thing.

How soon you should fix it depends entirely on how bad it is leaking. If it is a proper leak, then soon. The diff won't take kindly to running without the correct level of lubricant.

If it's just a slight weeping, then it's perhaps not so serious at this moment. One to monitor for a week or two perhaps?

y13pmc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e320 04
hi part cheap as chips from merc took my indy about 2hours
pete

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom