Light exterior/dark interior vs the opposite

youspurs1

Reaction score
If you know what I mean.

I have a real problem with cars that have light coloured interiors. I mean, why go there? It's going to be a nightmare to keep clean and it just looks much less attractive than a nice dark interior.
Urrgh, fair gives me the shivers.
Discuss.

PeterCLK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 204 Elegance saloon 220 cdi
I like my silver exterior with a 2 tone mid-grey interior.

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
Mine is Obsidean Black, and I dont think a dark interior would suit it

Top Cat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
(97) W202 C230 Elegance Estate
If you know what I mean.

I have a real problem with cars that have light coloured interiors. I mean, why go there? It's going to be a nightmare to keep clean and it just looks much less attractive than a nice dark interior.
Discuss.

Personally, I prefer the opposite. I'm not keen on totally black interiors (had a car like that once, and although it was excellent in every other way, the trim colour was its one let down). I also don't like the horrible (IMO) dark blue fabric trim with walnut wood inserts that you often get on 124s or 210s in combination with a white exterior colour, surely a few nice shades or grey or charcoal would complement it better?

My perfect combination would be for a darker paint colour (burgundy or blue but definately not black) with a grey or charcoal interior trim. Forget all about the so called 'doom blue' as well, if its what appeals to me then I'd buy it, and in a 10 year old + car it surely wouldn't affect its value one way or the other.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
If you know what I mean.

Discuss.

I enjoy light interiors - sand or light grey. They make the car feel more spacious and are not at all difficult to keep clean.

For external colours, the metallic silver, or cubanite silver paints never really show the dirt, but look excellent when clean.

It is all a matter of personal preference - you get total control buying new - but how many people in the "aftermarket" agonize too much about the Colour scheme?

P

PanzerMcGrory

I refuse to sit on cloth seats ;)
i like a nice light leather interior in a dark car though i have the black leather in a black e-class as the colour of leather is not a deal stopper for me.
Had red leather in my second audi which was nice.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I think that the inside colour should come from the same family of colours as the outside paint work

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older Citroen Now :-(
I definately prefer Light coloured interiors..
On a gloomy winters day its a nicer place to be..
Incidentally I have had several cars with light coloured interiors and have never found them a problem to keep clean..

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
I used to feel the same. Had a silver C with black interior. That was the perfect setup. Always thought light interiors were gaudy japanese ideas. Then bought a black E and really liked the interior - only dawned later that it was light grey with two tone dash and I should have hated it, but it was light and airy. Sounds awful but it really works. Then I bought my silver E with the same interior and that works too, despite the exterior being the opposite. I was also against the black wood in the E but now have an avantgarde and love it. I get into a black interior with light wood and it looks wrong to me now.
Truth is that you get used to either and grow to think that's how it should be. I now find dark interiors oppressive but I'd soon aclimatise again.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I used to feel the same. Had a silver C with black interior. That was the perfect setup. Always thought light interiors were gaudy japanese ideas. Then bought a black E and really liked the interior - only dawned later that it was light grey with two tone dash and I should have hated it, but it was light and airy. Sounds awful but it really works. Then I bought my silver E with the same interior and that works too, despite the exterior being the opposite. I was also against the black wood in the E but now have an avantgarde and love it. I get into a black interior with light wood and it looks wrong to me now.
Truth is that you get used to either and grow to think that's how it should be. I now find dark interiors oppressive but I'd soon acclimatise again.

My interior is dark grey and it had the alli trim, that was fine at first as the walnut did not go with it, I have seen the beech and that looks worse, so I bought a beech set and re finished it in piano black, and that looks perfect

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Malcom,
where did you get your Beech set from?
Am I correct in thinking it was sort of a honey colour?
I prefer that to the very dark rosewood I have.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I bought it from Ebay,just the 3 pieces plus the steering wheel cost £4k from MB and I paid £400 then re finished it in black 2 component

Attachments

• Picture 680.jpg
    Picture 680.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 40
  • Picture 686.jpg
    Picture 686.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 38
  • Picture 685.jpg
    Picture 685.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 55

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have to admit that looks very classy..
You have done a really nice job of finishing the trim..
You must have the patience of a saint !

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
I also used to like dark interiors as I thought them easier to keep clean. Had a C class with light grey cloth seats and that was a nightmare to keep clean. Showed every mark.

But my current E class has light grey leather seats and it is much cheerier IMO. Being leather it is easy to clean whatever the colour.

3146bj

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 B180CDI, 2008 Golf Pacific, 2013 VW Tiguan 103TDI
White exterior and light grey leather inside for my money. Surprisingly, white doesn't show dirt as much as you expect and the light grey leather is easy to clean. And white is so much cooler when you have to park in the sun for a few minutes - more than about 20 minutes and there is not much difference between white and black - they're both ****** hot!

Micman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180K Avantgarde SE
As someone who's always owned black cars, I've always gone for dark leather interiors too.

My C class has Black leather, My A-class had black leather, the Jeep had black leather, the Volvo had two tone black and grey leather, the Probe had the lightest interior - a light grey leather.

Like I say I've always preferred the dark interiors, but then it suddenly hit me....

KnightRider (which is arguably one of the coolest cars ever) had a beige cloth interior!!!!!!!

Last edited:

mw2510

Reaction score
i purchased my c class because of the light interior, emerald black exterior, sand colour leather (mushroom?) and carpet, and brown two tone dash (quartz/pebble?) it made it feel so light and airy.:D

mark.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom