M103 Valve stem oil seals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard Moakes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500; ML500
Well my 128K mile M103 is starting to use a little too much oil for my liking, and I can smell oily exhaust when reversing.

Given what I have read here and elsewhere, it seems like the valve guides/stem seals have just about had it by my current mileage.

Anyone had the stem seals done? I know it isn't a permanent cure, but if it gets me another 20K miles I will go for it. Did it work? How much did it cost?

...and does anyone know someone who can do it without lifting the head and using compressed air to keep the valves in place? Andy?

Cheers,

Richard
1989 W124 300E

Francois

Reaction score
Apparently there is a tool you can purchase that allows you to replace these seals without taking the head off. I can't remember what it is called, but some in here will be able to help you.

OP
Richard Moakes

Richard Moakes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500; ML500
Well, my local independant did the job for £150 all in.

He changed the stem seals without removing the cylinder head, and used compressed air to keep the valves in place.

No more smoke, no more oily smell when reversing, wonderful!

So, if your 300E or 260E is getting a bit oily, you know it doesn't cost too much to have a sweeter smelling car.

Richard
1989 W124 300E

badshead

Reaction score
Hi Richard

I need the same job doing - who's your local independent (do you recommend them?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom