M104 Engine Front Crankshaft Sensor Purpose

dbmoylan

Reaction score
Would anyone happen to know if the front crankshaft sensor on a M104.990 engine does anything? I inspected my front sensor and found the wire on the left side fender harness was cracked w/ the grounding touching the metal. However, I don't see it plugged into anything?? The sensor wire is in the bottom of a connector, that has a cap on the top & no plug that plugs into it??

I replaced the sensor w/ a spare I had (first time) for this sensor. I understand that the parts diagram shows a front & rear crankshaft sensor for my car (1993 Benz 300SE).

Any insight is appreciated. Thank you.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
This sensor I believe only goes up to the diagnostic socket, and not fitted to all cars. the rear one drives the engine managment

OP
D

dbmoylan

Reaction score
Thanks Malcolm - yes it is part of the diagnostic socket. So I understand it does not serve any purpose for the ECU to analyze it's information.

Is there suppose to be a shim w/ the rear crankshaft sensor? I replaced that sensor and did not find any shim there. Car starts w/ no problem, just trying to eliminate a bit of sluggishness.

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
If no shim do nor worry, this device either switches or it does not, so this cannot affect the engine if it is running

LYNALL

Reaction score
Wife had a e320 104 96 and i always thought it was sluggish, once wound up away it went, but from low speeds was not that powerful, then she got an ml320 with the 112 v6 engine and that was very lively at low speeds, her current w203 320 with the same engine is the same.
Maybe its just how they are?

Lynall

OP
D

dbmoylan

Reaction score
Lynall, thanks for the reply. I would agree w/ you were it not for my random experience of its power on low end. I agree w/ power on high end though.

I've the 1993 M104.990 which is suppose to be pre-emmission controls that were placed on later models. Trying to stabilize its performance, and the camshaft sensor & rear crankshaft sensor may have helped a bit but am still on computer relearn phase (10 trips). Will hopefully report back w/ some positive results.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom