Main Dealer Speeding in my Car!!!

OP
BRABUS R230

BRABUS R230

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BRABUS SL55 K8 (R230), SL500 (R129), B Class B200 CDi, VW T5 Transporter.
£500??? You could get a lot more out of them! You just need to mention the police,national newspapers,trading standards and so on.

How do i put a cost on this, when tha manager offered me the £250 and refused he asked me how much would I be happy with, I then replied " no less than £500, he replied "that's more than he was expecting to pay, I then replied that seeing that the mechanic has still got his job perhaps the difference should be docked from his pay!

rovingHawk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK230K, Mondeo Estate, Blackbird
reassure me this will never happen again.
It's never happened before, either.

If you see the police & he gets a record for reckless driving, taking without consent, etc then perhaps he'll lose his job & licence and not be able to abuse anyone else's vehicle.

RH

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
Thats out rageous.

If the dealer doesnt give the £500 perhaps politely let him know you will raise the matter with the police, trading standards and the press.

They'll cough up.

jubhi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Sport Coupe Brabus D6-III, A150 SE, Honda CBR1000RR Fireblade
If you are that miffed (which is understandable), forward the evidence to the police (after you have received your free service etc..)

Where on earth can you drive at 110 mph in central london?

With a car of this magnitude it takes only a matter of seconds to get to 110 so very possible in a 40 zone anywhere, just a quick blast from the lights and you'd reach that speed.

Love your security system Brabus.

carnut13

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL400 & Audi A1 Sport
I guess that sufficient time has passed to ensure that you havent got a ticket in the post. Remember that its the date it was posted, not the date it arrives ( or is still in the system due to snow) that counts. If it was late Dec then you may still get one tomorrow:shock: but it doesnt look likely.

I think if it was me Id have the dealer Principal in to discuss what action he/she proposes to take. This mechanic shouldnt be allowed to drive customer vehicles, particularly high powered ones, and should be given the oily jobs for some time if he wants to keep his job. This public exposure would then be a warning to other employees.

If you presented your evidence to the police ( and they accepted it?) then the mechanic wouldnt be driving anything for the next 12 months. Its up to the Dealer whether they then employed him.

I had a similar moral dilemma when a Lorry driver drove extemely dangerously in a coned contraflow on the M1; I stopped the driver further down the road and noted his details and reported him to the Police. They said they would prosecute If I would be a witness but I settled for a bolloking from his employer. With hindsight I should have prosecuted him as some time afterwards my daughter experienced a similar situation and she could have been killed:cry:

Phil D

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
previously W202 & W203
With a car of this magnitude it takes only a matter of seconds to get to 110 so very possible in a 40 zone anywhere, just a quick blast from the lights and you'd reach that speed.

Indeed - reprehensible though it is, thankfully no-one was hurt and if the car has been damaged in any way by driving at just over half its max speed I would be amazed - so as an earlier poster said - on what basis is any compensation due ?

the mechanic will have had the bollocking of his life, the garage have made an offer - why not move on ?

mercmadjim

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK230k
Brabus, judging by your car, I am guessing you do not need £500, asking you how much you want is an insult to your integrity, and your intelligence, if you need £500 take the money, but the law has been broken, trust has been broken, and money or free servicing should not enter into it, if I was you I would never go back there again.

After the service manager has given you £500 quid, he will make that back off some other poor suckers who go there, or even you if you go back!!

No Brabus, the mechanic who did this needs to lose his job, at least he will still have his licence, which is something he would not have had if the rozzers had caught him.

Pontoneer

Banned
Reaction score
I would not have been thinking about financial recompense , other than not expecting to be charged anything for this particular 'service' .

What I would have done , instead , would have been to call the police and to have arrived unnanounced with them at the dealership to confront them with your evidence . At that point you would have had no way of knowing whether your car had tripped any speed cameras , red light cameras or otherwise committed any other offences for which you might have been held liable !

A mechanic going 'a few' miles per hour over a limit is one thing - this case goes much further and amounts to reckless driving and could easily have been causing death by dangerous driving so I would not wish to be so charitable . As others have said , by agreeing to 'keep quiet' about this and not report it you are making yourself an accessory to the offence and may actually be comitting an offence yourself . I also wonder how the dealers' insurers would view this treatment of customers' property in a manner which could result in a very costly claim - actually , no , I don't wonder : I know .

Pontoneer

Banned
Reaction score
I guess that sufficient time has passed to ensure that you havent got a ticket in the post. Remember that its the date it was posted, not the date it arrives ( or is still in the system due to snow) that counts.

Not correct : a NIP has to be received within 14 days of an alleged offence - being posted earlier does not count .

carnut13

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL400 & Audi A1 Sport
When I got my last ticket (opps!) I was told that the police record the date they send it out and that's the date that counts. It used to be sent by recorded delivery...not any more, they have changed the rules!

You can't claim you havent received it..they posted it and thats that, regardless of the million plus letters that go astray:roll:

Anyone here a Solicitor who can verify the correct answer?

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
When I got my last ticket (opps!) I was told that the police record the date they send it out and that's the date that counts. It used to be sent by recorded delivery...not any more, they have changed the rules!

You can't claim you havent received it..they posted it and thats that, regardless of the million plus letters that go astray:roll:

Anyone here a Solicitor who can verify the correct answer?

Not into soliciting, but that is what happened to me except it was not the police who sent it out but the admin centre in Northampton and as the grotty little oik that I contacted over the 'very late arrival' said when I challenged them "Try suing us then" in one of those I am up here and you are down there kind of voices:roll:

roadhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 300D x2, C124 300
Bad situation Mr Brabus but I fail to see what they're compensating you for?
I'd be very careful accepting anything from them as you will most likely be making yourself an accessory to whatever the charge against the driver would be. Will you be using your compensation to pay for the tickets which may well land on your doorstep in a few days?

If it was me, I'd play this straight down the middle.

dizzy lizzy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL129 (diesel),2 x 124 250D,190d 2.5
:confused:correct me if i am wrong - but i thought - as far as i understand it -the mechanics drive the car from the service parking area into the garage and then park it up when finished and a top service engineer checks the work that has been done and test drives it as they are trained to know every nut and bolt on these vehicles - is this the case or not - who was driving -was it the mechanic or was it the chap who valetted the car -i would wan't to know:confused:

rovingHawk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK230K, Mondeo Estate, Blackbird
Bad situation Mr Brabus but I fail to see what they're compensating you for?
Taking without owner's consent, theft of fuel, criminal damage/wear & tear of tyres, drivetrain, suspension, engine.........

RH

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom