Mandatory Speed Limiters

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
It'll only effect us if those treacherous, sore-losing remoaners get their evil way and manage to connive and cheat to keep us in the %£"*"*& EU!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad:
If those leavers get their way with no deal we won't have to worry as we won't have a car industry or be able to afford imported cars and fuel!

(Just for balance) ;)
I'm looking forward to living in a cave, fashioning my clothes out of animal pelts and hunting for food on the 30th March :D:rolleyes::p

I'm calling millennium bug on the whole thing

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I'm looking forward to living in a cave, fashioning my clothes out of animal pelts and hunting for food on the 30th March :D:rolleyes::p

I'm calling millennium bug on the whole thing
I'm calling incompetence.....

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
Britain Re-establishes Expertise X(multiplies) International Trade ;):cool::D

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Happy with the concept...there are too many people on the road that drive like they are in a coma. Although, (IMO) slow driving tailgaters, cause more problems than fast drivers.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Another case of "experts" knowing what is best for the rabble and using statistics (you know the old saying -lies, damn lies and statistics) to justify the proposal. As "speed" is a factor in every road accident, stopping "speed" will prevent every accident - just that no vehicle will be allowed to move. Another very simple solution to a complex problem which will have a limited outcome at high cost to the user, either financially or in personal freedom.

With respect to so-called "smart" solutions, always remember that they are programmed or setup by humans who cannot have the experience or knowledge to cover all possible situations. For example, how many people developing a stability system in Germany will understand the requirements for safe operation on a dirt road in the wet in Outback Australia? From my experience, they can't get it right for a recently graded dirt road curve close to Melbourne (went off the road, missed a quite large gum tree by inches when the system cut power at the moment we needed power to pull out of a slide). So what chance of a system to suit all situations?

My 200 series Landcruiser, designed by the Japanese - did pretty well in the Outback (including crossing the Simpson Desert, with a Kimberley Camper), on beaches, in mud, on gibbers etc etc and on normal surfaces :).

I don't think there is an issue with designing a car to handle conditions, there is a problem designing a car for the huge range of idiots that use the roads.

Designers always have to allow for the lowest common denominator - sorry to say this but, most people are poor drivers. Young drivers are not trained how to drive, they are trained to pass the driving test - you can see it every single time you drive and they all think they are bullet proof because their car has airbags and ABS (even if they do not know what ABS means, does or, even how to use it).

Last edited:

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
A friend shared the definition of a so called 'Expert' recently;

(eX) being the unknown quantity and a (spurt) being a drip under pressure! :D
My version is 'ex' is a "has been"....

reminds of.......... "those that can, DO, those who cannot DO, TEACH, and those that cannot TEACH, CONSULT".

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
they all think they are bullet proof because their car has airbags and ABS (even if they do not know what ABS means, does or, even how to use it).
I've always thought the biggest single help to reducing the road toll would be a six inch spike protruding from the centre of the steering wheel.

JohnArnoldBrown

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI Estate 2003
Bring it on. And if they could mandate devices that force drivers to keep a safe distance from the car in front as well, then even better.
I don't want my life, or that of a family member or friend, to be at risk, just because some selfish idiot thinks they're a good driver, and can therefore ignore speed limits.

Dissing experts is all very well, until you realize that, in so doing, you are setting yourself up as a bigger expert.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I've always thought the biggest single help to reducing the road toll would be a six inch spike protruding from the centre of the steering wheel.
We’ve had this discussion already :) our fathers had the same thoughts on those :)

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
We’ve had this discussion already :) our fathers had the same thoughts on those :)

Many more people on the roads these days........and by extrapolation, I'd say many more dangerous drivers.......

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
It'll only effect us if those treacherous, sore-losing remoaners get their evil way and manage to connive and cheat to keep us in the %£"*"*& EU!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

See my post number #17. You'll find that in the real world citizens of continental Europe, despite being pro-EU, are freer in almost every respect because culturally they are not worried about enforcing and respecting silly laws at country level, local level and an individual level. After 8 years living here things like people worrying about whether the insurance company approve of their tyre choice or whether to put a sticker in the window are now a shock to me as people would not even think about it in the slightest.

The UK populace essentially doesn't like law breakers and has a "think of the kids" attitude so sits behind even the rules they do not like and that is why whatever happens after March the UK will be one of the first places in "Europe" to adopt this, and not one of the last.

O/T But I type this as I sit here in Fallas, Valencia's biggest festival where we are constructing huge polystyrene and wood structures on every street corner to be burnt at the end of the 10 day festival (with fire brigade hosing the nearby buildings in case they catch fire as they are practically touching). Over the next week there will be street parties, all the great and good will be drinking in the street celebrating and kids/adults will be haphazardly throwing bangers near the crowds. There'll also be processions of people swinging fireworks in their hands fighting each other with the fire coming out of them as they walk down the street in costume. As a nod to health and safety there'll be an ambulance at the end of each parade just in case. Tell me anything like that could ever happen in the UK inside or outside the EU...The UK just likes order and rules and H&S too much...

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
I’d take this with a pinch of salt for the moment, until something concrete comes out of the legislative.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
In the news today

We will be the last generation that drove for fun :(

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
In the news today

We will be the last generation that drove for fun :(
I wonder about the technology in these. If they use GPS they need to be able to take account of new roads, changes to speed limits etc which implies an online link to obtain latest data. If the online data is incorrect there's a question of liability in the even of transgression.
If they rely on speed sign recognition then councils will need to be more vigilant regarding foliage obstructing signs and of course there's the issue of signs being blocked by vehicles (stationary as well as moving).
Then when there's poor weather the legal speed may be totally inappropriate. I can see the more robotic members of society crashing then saying "well I was only going as fast as allowed" just as they did with "the sat nav told me to come this way".

Replacing one source of failure of common sense with another isn't the answer.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I wonder about the technology in these. If they use GPS they need to be able to take account of new roads, changes to speed limits etc which implies an online link to obtain latest data. If the online data is incorrect there's a question of liability in the even of transgression.
If they rely on speed sign recognition then councils will need to be more vigilant regarding foliage obstructing signs and of course there's the issue of signs being blocked by vehicles (stationary as well as moving).
Then when there's poor weather the legal speed may be totally inappropriate. I can see the more robotic members of society crashing then saying "well I was only going as fast as allowed" just as they did with "the sat nav told me to come this way".

Replacing one source of failure of common sense with another isn't the answer.
It’s always been “inappropriate speed” that is dangerous. But you can’t make money out of that... as you can’t have a one size speed limit.

Where I live it’s a 30 limit, if you do that you’ll probably run over 15 kids depending upon the time of day.

Time of day, day of the week and weather all contribute to what is a safe speed. Sometimes way above the posted limit and sometimes way below. Just most of the great unwashed can’t differentiate which is why we have the draconian limits :(

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom