1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Manifold oil leak 270 clk

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, Fuel and Exhaust' started by philreed52, Nov 3, 2019.

1. philreed52

philreed52 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    270clk
    Hi back on forum for more advice
    So glad I joined as never used a forum before this MB one.
    Slowly trying to get my 2005 clk 270cdi sorted .Had it nearly 2 years and really pleased with it but things crop up at 160k!!
    My local garage has detected dampness round 2 injectors (seals) and oil under manifold which I assume is swirl flap seals .With current MOT Regs if I take them out will it still pass or can can seals be replaced? Would it be more cost effective to replace manifold (£120) from internet .Garage will be doing job but if mod on manifold needed would do that on second hand one first for them to fit
    I have seen various threads but none recent since new MOT bought in
    Any advice would be grateful.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

2. oigle

oigle Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Currently 2003 ML270. 2012 Nissan Maxima 250SL.
    Consider also that the manifold is going to be chokkers with egr muck too. Takes a lot of work to clean out. 120 quid spent would save all that. Remove the swirl flaps from the new one and plug the holes before fitting.

3. umblecumbuz

umblecumbuz Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    S204 and CLC 204 cdi, other non-Merc machines
    If your engine is in normal fettle for the mileage, removing swirl flaps will make no difference to Mot results.
    A worthwhile modification.
    Alternatively, as you're buying another manifold to replace your existing one, you can set the swirl flaps to remain permanently open (they're spring loaded open anyway) by leaving the actuator motor linkage disconnected. The ecu will not notice the difference.

oigle and Taffy7hfa like this.
  4. OP
    philreed52

philreed52 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    270clk
    Thinking of buying a new manifold but confused by price differences £99 to £150 on ebay,,Amazon and other sites what is the difference? I understand quality might be an issue but is it better to pay more and how do I know not same quality higher price ? Is there a happy medium or should I buy genuine used and mod it and remove flaps .

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

5. Taffy7hfa

Taffy7hfa Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2002 ML 270CDI Fully loaded. 2019 Vauxhall Insignia SRI . 2014 Peugeot 308 1.6 HDI.
    Be careful what you buy off ebay, there's a mountain of inferior (chinese) pattern parts out there of dubious quality. I got caught out recently with a fake "Febi" gearbox pilot bush from fleabay, which absolutely would not fit in the hole, I gave up and bought one from Mercedes which popped straight in.

matthew k and Wighty like this.
  6. matthew k

matthew k Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2005 320 cdi Sport 7 seat estate
    There is a huge amount of fake parts labelled up as Febi, Mayle, etc agreed, a huge amount.

7. mioba

mioba Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W124/1994/E200, W220/2004/S320CDI, W205/2016/C200, W447/2017/3.0 CDI

QUALITY

matthew k likes this.