Merc over BMW?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
As for Auto's are slower of the mark,,you would need to be a racing driver to beat the auto off the mark,unless you are the type to sit at the lights with the clutch depressed the whole time

Juddian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124CE/1996/3199cc/LPG'd
I confess i like the newer coupe 3 series from 07 on.

It is a sleek and lovely understated car, and it is very competent drive, the 3 litre motors especially.

The one thing that puts me off them is their success in an odd way, the 3 series in particular gets to a certain price range and then the chav element seems to find the money to buy them, next thing they've been 'barried' with Lexus rear lights, drain pipe exhausts, spoilers, stupid wheels, blue under lights (oops) blacked out windows and wire mesh grilles, and a person of sorts sporting a baseball cap is wedged behind the wheel.

Apart from isolated (avoidable) cases that doesn't seem to happen to too many MB's.

J400uk

Reaction score
Autos are slower 0-60, but 'feel' quicker of the mark.

Main advantage with Elegance is the Artico seats (which to most people are no different to real leather) and the plusher trim. The trip computer/ steering wheel controls are more advanced too iirc.

OP
O

oceanblue1

Reaction score
hmmm.. talking of coupe, how come the 180K SE CLC is so much cheaper.
You lose 2 doors but size wise, its almost the same and it looks damn good ... Might get that and save myself 2-3 grand ...

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
The 06 on BMW 3 series ..with sports suspension and run flats is to be avoided at all costs, another very common fault is the traction control unit around £1200 to replace if you are out of warranty.. and a few dealers have been known to try cancelling the fault until the car goes out of warranty.. one car recently waiting 3 weeks for a new unit.. also have heard of problems with the new c class 7g autobox...any comments??

J400uk

Reaction score
hmmm.. talking of coupe, how come the 180K SE CLC is so much cheaper.
You lose 2 doors but size wise, its almost the same and it looks damn good ... Might get that and save myself 2-3 grand ...

Its based on the old model W203 C-Class, really isn't anywhere near as good the W204, thats why its so cheap. Its not even built in Germany.

merc7

Reaction score
Its based on the old model W203 C-Class, really isn't anywhere near as good the W204, thats why its so cheap. Its not even built in Germany.

i do not know where you get that (cheap) w203,but definitely i will second that the w204 far better than w203 i have both in auto :p

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
i do not know where you get that (cheap) w203,but definitely i will second that the w204 far better than w203 i have both in auto :p

Let me defend the virtue of the W 203. I bought a 2007 (07) 220 CDI estate AG auto in June 07. A pre-registered car (10 miles).

It has now done only 14,000 miles, drives beautifully and has been flawless.

The W204 was available as a saloon at the time, but the equivalent engined car would have cost me 25% more than I paid for mine.

So, W 203s are not all bad. End of model, or "run out cars" provide excellent value and fewest faults. The successor model may well be better, as it should be, but 25% better?

OP
O

oceanblue1

Reaction score
when you say not as good; are we talking reliability, quality of fit, handling?

surely it shares the same engine as the normal saloon.

and it sure looks good :)

hmmm.. can't seem to find a 08 used CLC ... and 07 is the old shape ...

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
So, W 203s are not all bad. End of model, or "run out cars" provide excellent value and fewest faults. The successor model may well be better, as it should be, but 25% better?

Absolutely - run out cars will always been the ones that all issues have been resolved on so reliability wise they should be better than the car that follows it - at least until that new model beds in.

As for cost - this is a tricky one. It is true that you'll get more toys for a lower price on a run out model compared to the new one (priced to clear as it were) but you have to accept that it will equally be worth less when you come to sell.
I remember a comparison many years ago between the last of the cortinas and the 'new' mondeo. The run out cortinas were vastly better equipped than the equivalent new model and the prices were less too. They did a comparison a year or two later and demonstrated that if you factored in depreciation, the mondeo was the cheaper option.
Now mercs are different and a 203 is still a very desireable car so this may not hold, but obviously someone will always pay a premium for the new model if sat side by side with an identically aged older model. 25%is still a lot though.

merc7

Reaction score
The w204 is a bigger car than the w203,has better fuel efficiency blue-efficiency engine,steering much better IMHO, less road tax to pay:D, is a different car to the w203,do not get me wrong i do like my w203,
i also had w203 on 57 plate i had excellent deal end of the model,but to me the new shape was worth the extra:lol:

*Thumper

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi (09)
I remember a comparison many years ago between the last of the cortinas and the 'new' mondeo. The run out cortinas were vastly better equipped than the equivalent new model and the prices were less too. They did a comparison a year or two later and demonstrated that if you factored in depreciation, the mondeo was the cheaper option.

Don't you mean Sierra's ................ :Oops:

Jeeeez ......... showing my age now

J400uk

Reaction score

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom