Mercedes is no longer a proper premium brand

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Most MB models are not premium cars just premium priced.

ampwhu

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 W203 C200CDI Avantgarde se
you get what you pay for. no different to buying a pair of jeans. do you buy ones from asda or levi?

for what I paid for my car, I wouldn't get the same with a Vauxhall.

ampwhu

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
of any particular Merc? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

ok then, I don't consider an A class to be a proper Mercedes. simple. they may as well have badged it as a Vauxhall corsa. anybody really have a good thing to say about them?

same as a 1 series bmw. are they really what the badge say? I don't think so.

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
the equivalent other brands don't have the same style as a Mercedes.

read into that what ever way you want.

There is something about these cars that other car makers don't have.

You buying a low end upmarket car are buying a better engineered product, or should be. A Mondeo titanium X 1.6TDCi has a lot if equipment but its only been engineered to handle the performance of the top of the range 2.5 Turbo. A C180k poverty spec may not have the fords tacky Sony cd changer but the body shell, everything about it was engineered to take the 6200cc V8 AMG.

Prestige cars typically were built to more exacting standards, painted and trimmed better and lasted better than the mass market Fords of this works but as prestige cars have got cheaper, so have the quality if assembly and the mass cars are catching.

Give me a Pov spec 3 series, A4 or C class over a Mondeo

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
.... A C180k poverty spec may not have the fords tacky Sony cd changer but the body shell, everything about it was engineered to take the 6200cc V8 AMG. .....

You sure?:confused: I suspect not :confused: If MB don't even make a loom as a one (or two) fits all, I would think that MB use a C Class shell for most cars & then modify the shell for the hand full of full fat V8 AMGs they make.

roop_the_loop

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDI BlueEff SE, 7G auto, estate (S212), 2012
ok then, I don't consider an A class to be a proper Mercedes. simple. they may as well have badged it as a Vauxhall corsa. anybody really have a good thing to say about them?

Actually, my missus had the original (post-elk-test, pre-interior-redesign) A-class, and whilst I never really got on with it, she liked it - so much so that she drove it for over ten years, until it started to go rapidly downhill (I don't mean the brakes failed, I mean it started literally falling to bits in the last year or so). Granted, she's not particularly interested in cars (when I met her, she was happily driving a Fiat Uno - nuf sed!) so that may not be much of an endorsement. But whilst we had it, it was the cheapest and most low-maintenance car to own and run that either of us ever had - which is the good thing I would say about it.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Since when did you "get what you pay for" with MB certainly not recently.

ampwhu

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ok, if I had spent the same amount on another car that I just spent on my 1st Mercedes, I would have got a Vectra or a ford.

I wouldn't be seen in either of those.

rhud

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 BlueEfficiency Avantgarde SE 2010
It was entirely predictable that this thread would generate another bout of A Class-bashing,not unknown hereabouts.

Yes - the original W168 was a bit of a disaster, despite the fact that a million-plus were sold. It was MB's first real attempt to widen the customer base, but was flawed in execution - and launched in the dark days when just about every other Mercedes was rubbish and the reputation of the marque plunged into a near-terminal nosedive.

This realisation took far too long to dawn but once it had - around 2003/4 - we should give MB credit for addressing the issues with energy.

In the case of the A Class in 2004 the car was transformed over its predecessor in terms of build quality and design improvements. Still they stuck at it, with the result that the 2008 facelift made it just about as good as it could be. By no means to everyone's taste - but good enough for Which?, the UK's most credible car consumer survey, to describe it as "very, very dependable'.

Human nature being what it is, I can understand why owners of higher-end MBs are sniffy about the cheaper models. But to me the final version of the W169 A Class exhibited enough of the marque's rejuvenated core qualities to justify choosing it over others.

I accept that the extra investment and the car's unusual construction design made it impossible to continue to build it economically for what was essentially a super-niche market. But I am delighted to own one - and yes,I do get a bit riled when people airily dismiss it as unworthy of the marque.:)

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
v....
I do get a bit riled when people airily dismiss it as unworthy of the marque.:)

Does the 'marque'/badge make this a 'prestigious' car?

800px-Aston_Martin_Cygnet_%2882%29.JPG

IMHO no, the maker is, but the car isn't.

rhud

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 BlueEfficiency Avantgarde SE 2010
Does the 'marque'/badge make this a 'prestigious' car?

800px-Aston_Martin_Cygnet_%2882%29.JPG

IMHO no, the maker is, but the car isn't.

You misunderstand me (I suspect deliberately). I don't like the A Class because it's a Mercedes. But because it's a well-made small car.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
You misunderstand me (I suspect deliberately). I don't like the A Class because it's a Mercedes. But because it's a well-made small car.

I'm not answering you specifically. As I said earlier, they're not for me, but I also didn't buy my car because it has a Merc badge on it (not many people world wide did) but because I liked the idea of something a little different and wasn't FWD.
The general theme through the thread is that because it's a Merc then that makes it a prestigious car. IMHO, Merc, like other car makers, make prestigious cars, but the badge doesn't make them all prestigious. :)

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
OH! I SEE YOU DRIVE A TOYOTA.;)

I have to say that I've always quite liked the iQ :Oops: :Oops: So wouldn't say no to an Aston badged version (no idea how much that bit of 'Badge Engineering' costs :cool:) ...... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

SAABfan

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1999 CLK320 Elegance
I paid around 4k for a 10 year old CLK320, 3 years ago.
It has been the best car I've ever owned.

What else would have as got that is as good for 4k?

Age for me doesn't matter. It's all about the car. :)

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom