Mercedes starter battery wrong information

barnaclebill15

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk220cdi/2006/diesel
Needed a new starter battery so phoned MB grangemouth first for a price, very helpful and good price but when I checked the size it was too long, they said the part numbers had changed. Tried my local MB more expensive and also wrong size, tried Halfords, input reg number got a choice of batteries all wrong physical size, my battery box will take 278mm long and these all over 300mm.
My fitted battery is not an MB original so no part number on it just Amps and AH.
Searched on line using reg number and tried Europarts also wrong size and expensive.
In the end looked for a good brand with the best Ah that would fit and found a Varta at good price and next day free delivery.
So just take care if you need a new battery in this colder weather to check the physical size of your battery box.

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Empty garage, awaiting new toy :)
Needed a new starter battery so phoned MB grangemouth first for a price, very helpful and good price but when I checked the size it was too long, they said the part numbers had changed. Tried my local MB more expensive and also wrong size, tried Halfords, input reg number got a choice of batteries all wrong physical size, my battery box will take 278mm long and these all over 300mm.
My fitted battery is not an MB original so no part number on it just Amps and AH.
Searched on line using reg number and tried Europarts also wrong size and expensive.
In the end looked for a good brand with the best Ah that would fit and found a Varta at good price and next day free delivery.
So just take care if you need a new battery in this colder weather to check the physical size of your battery box.

A0055412001
An 096 battery.

278L x 190H x 175W

Comes in all forms of current constructions.

I don't see how there was any confusion at Mercedes !!

Last edited:

harrye500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 W213 OM654 E220 Estate (the main driver) and 2010 A207 E500 (now 'the Summer Car')
Same issue in mine when I replaced it. Wanted a high amp battery for the hefty engine, but settled on the highest amp I could get that would fit (think its a Varta) as the recommended longer size was too big. Interestingly, I've just checked the usual suppliers and it still recommends the wrong size! So the learning to us owners is to measure up pre-buy :) haha and all that!

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom