ML or GL?

E

eel

Hi there,

I am about to lease one of the above for 3 years on a business lease deal. Once I am in the deal I cant get out unless I pay for the priviledge so I need to make sure I get the right model. I am used to Merc ML 270's and Discovery 3. I have also had a RR TD6 before.

My annual mileage is 12,000 but fuel economy is not as important as room, reliability and a nice driving experience. However I would expect an average of 25mpg for a mix of rural and motorway driving.

The lease deal for both options is for me to pay for the annual service but all other maintenance/problems are covered by the hire company. The models on offer are:

GL 350 CDI Blueefficiency Auto
ML 300 CDI Sport Blueefficiency Auto

A note is that the ML 270 is a bit to small for us (2 adults, 2 children and a dog) but the Discovery 3 was ok as was the RR.

Any views?

roadhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 300D x2, C124 300
I didn't know they offered the ML or GL in Blue Efficiency?
I'd have an R-Class over either of the above unless you need the rugged 4x4 for the school run?

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
I didn't know they offered the ML or GL in Blue Efficiency?
I'd have an R-Class over either of the above unless you need the rugged 4x4 for the school run?

GL offers more room in the boot when the rear two seats are folded. But less legroom in the front than the ML especially if you like the seat raised (it swings forward as you raise it and reduces legroom (if that is an issue for you). But there is enough for most people.

GL has air suspension standard which gives a great ride and choice of firm or more comfortable.

ML has air suspension but only as an option so monthly charges go up.

Not much difference in mpg.

The so called Blue Efficiency engines aren't the new efficient engines despite the name. Just a rebadging. Sad. Check the HP and torque and you will see they are the old 280 and 320cdi engines but with a sexy badge.

The R class is not good for dogs. It was but they have now dropped the 5 seater version and you have to have 7 seats. When folded they leave an unfriendly to dogs hole in the otherwise flat rear floor.

The legroom in the front of the R class is less than almost any MB models. Less than an A, B C or E class by quite a way. Again raising the seat reduces legroom. I think it was designed by someone on work experience. Everything is extra on the R class but the 'new' Grand Edition models (out now or very soon depending on which dealer you go to) offer packages at a modest saving on buying separately.

The ML is the easiest to park. The Sport has wheels to impress a 19 year old which harms the ride somewhat. An SE with air suspension would be great IMO.

BTW check if they do a dog rack if you need one. ML offers one but I couldn't find one for the GL. Mercedes don't seem to me to think about dogs much.

Last edited:

Retired

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GL 420CDI
I suspect it would cost quite a bit to get an ML up to the same spec as a GL. I’m pretty sure Comand, Air suspension, transfer ‘box, parking sensors are extra on the ML and there may well be more. If you put extras on the ML lease they will pretty much cost 100% of the list price of the extras over the lease period. Extras tend to have an very low residual value.

I have a GL (420) having previously owned a D3. I would say that the D3 ride is better than the GL, but not by much.

GL is an excellent long distance car, very quiet and comfortable, ‘an S Class in waders’ sums it up well. Boot space 3rd row folded about same as D3. GL is a genuine seven seater, 3rd row seats are comfortable for adults.

GL is surprisingly agile for it’s type, especially if ‘sport’ suspension mode is selected.

I get about 22mpg in mixed driving so would expect the smaller engine to deliver a few more mpg.

I’ve had my GL for about 2 years and have done about 30k miles. I really like the car, enjoy driving it and wouldn’t consider anything else if mine was ,e.g. stolen, and needed replacing.

OP
E

eel

Thanks guys. GL it is then which I think I prefer anyway.

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Thanks guys. GL it is then which I think I prefer anyway.

Just check if there is a dog rack if you need one. If there is one, two of the seven seats would be behind the dog rack.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom