New here, help with w124 e220

kompost

Reaction score
Hi i am new on here, i am currently living in Kazakhstan and working in a car repair centre. I have been given a 1995 w124 e220 lhd, to work on. The problem is, the car has been stripped to do some welding work on the bulkhead and floor, so all the interior is out, and a lot from under the bonnet has been removed. Everything that has been removed has been thrown in a corner of the workshop, and also a lot of the parts have been lost or used to keep other cars on the road. I am not an expert on mercedes' but am a competent mechanic, but my problem is i am struggling to find where some of the smaller parts fit. If anyone has any good lhd photo's of the underbonnet area and interior, and in particular the heater area, it would be a great help. Photo's that help with the routing of wiring under the dash/steering column and under bonnet, and brake pipe routing from the abs unit,air con pipe routing, etc etc etc, would all be helpful.
Thanks in advance for any help.
steve

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
You want to get a hold of one of the copies of the W124 MANUAL on 2 cd's often advertised on Ebay. Its the most comprehensive data set available on the model. Unfortunately being US based it does not include the 4 cylinder models. this is just one example http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MERC...20454697613QQptZMotorsQ5fManualsQ5fLiterature

there are several manuals also but not nearly so comprehensive. The only one which covers the e220 petrol is the Brooklands one. http://shop.mercedesclub.org.uk/acatalog/MBO_Club_Store_Workshop_Manuals_5.html
The Haynes one one on the w124 is quite good but doesn't cover the post 92 models. http://www.haynes.co.uk/webapp/wcs/...10001&storeId=10001&productId=13005&langId=-1

Last edited:
OP
K

kompost

Reaction score
Grober, thanks for the idea but it would take a few weeks at least for a disc to arrive if i bought it off ebay. I have a russian manual which does cover the car, but when it has been stripped so far and parts lost it's photo's that would help most.
Television, thanks that is a great site, i will have to spend some time looking through the whole site and see if i can identify some parts.
Cheers for the help.

OP
K

kompost

Reaction score
I have had a good look through the russian site, and it has helped a lot but i still have some questions.
On the central locking vacuum circuit, i have 6 yellow pipes (1 for each door and 1 each for the boot and petrol cap, but also there are 2 grey pipes, 1 goes to a plastic tank under the rear seat, the other is routed with the yellow's and ends under the drivers seat (lhd), does anyone know what the grey pipes (and the plastic tank) are and what should the one under the drivers seat fit into.
The heater in the car seems to have a mixture of 2 systems, it has cable operated flaps for feet and windscreen, but also has 2 solenoids on top with red end caps, 1 on the very top, and 1 inside. It also has an electric valve mounted on the side with (i think) 7 stubs to connect pipes to, does anyone know which pipes go where.
Also on the power steering pump i have 2 threaded holes which i think i have worked out should be piped to the steering box, but also there is a banjo fitting and a stub for a pipe to be pushed on, where do these go to.
Also on the engine's coolant system, where does the smaller hose from the water pump go. On the larger pipe from the water pump there is a smaller one split off from it where should that be piped to. There is also a pipe that comes from a valve near the battery tray and runs under the airbox where should this be piped to.
Sorry for all the questions, but it's so difficult working from a russian manual with crap photo's, especially when my russian isn't that good.
If anyone can help with photo's of the engine bay it would be really useful, also if anyone has a really good photo of the right side of the gearbox, i am struggling to see (laying on my back) where each vacuum pipe connects ( do they have special ends on the pipes, mine are just plain pipes. Also where do the electric change over valves, that these pipes come from, mount on the car.
Also does anyone know where i can look up part numbers and get a good photo and explanation of where the part fits on the car, because some of the smaller plastic parts are prooving a bit difficult to place.
cheers in advance for all the fantastic answers.
kompost

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
OK WATER PUMP The small hose outlet goes to the base of the thermostat housing.
the long inlet pipe goes to the base of the radiator--the small stub pipe is the return from the heater duo valve . Take a look at this thread. http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=51628 You will need to register on the site to see the HOWTO section.

Attachments

• multivbelt1.JPG
    multivbelt1.JPG
    21.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
OP
K

kompost

Reaction score
Cheers grober, that's a good start, anyone else got any answers.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom