New Merc Owner Teething Problems

IMI MERC

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E 2.7 cdi
Hi,

I have just joined up here with as I have just bought my first Merc, a 2004 E2.7 cdi Elegance.

The car is immaculate, but I need to get some assistance with regard to a couple of things and would appreciate any input.

I bought the car 10 days ago and apart from a small fault showing on the dash, it was driving very well. There is a slight shudder when accelerating particularly in the lower revs and I have read up on the gear box issues etc, but for the moment I want to deal with a more immediate problem that arose two days ago.

I noticed that the heating fan and a couple of other items were not coming on and when I pulled in the car wouldn't start. I used a booster to start it and that it did no problem, however it was showing the dash error in white text, "Battery Attention, some of the some of the convenience functions were temporarily unavailable".

It also started to show in Red text, the error "Visit Workshop accompanied by a Battery Symbol". Subsequently another Red text error showing "Brake Defective Stop Vehicle", however this would disappear after I swapped the battery out for a charged one.

I have tested the main battery (in the boot) with a meter when the car was idle and running, all indications are that there is a problem with the Alternator. However my questions are as follow;

1. Is the alternator dependant on a signal from the computer on board to function and if so will I need to reset the computer with diagnostics?

2. If the above is not the case, does the Alternator for this model have a voltage regulator that may be at the end of its days?

Many thanks in advance.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom