New (to me) E Class Estate. Some Questions

esterill

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am a first time Mercedes owner, having just bought an E Class Estate 220 CDI (02). I am very happy with it and so are the kids - especially with the extra seats in the boot.

I have gradually been learning about all the bits and pieces and I have a few trivial questions that you may be able to help me with.

- There is a yellow light underneath the rear view mirror housing. What is it for?

- Can the headlamps be set to go off automatically when leaving the car? I don't think they can but the dealer mentioned that this could be set up. The headlamp switch is a rotary knob.

- I don't seem to be able to persuade the climate control to just blow lots of air (high fan) through the front vents. The temperature control seems fine when on automatic. Is there likely to be a blockage?

Thanks in advance if anyone can help and apologies for putting all these together in one post.

Pete

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hello Pete and welcome.

The little lamp under the mirror is for night driving and will give a subdued light.

The head lamps can be turned off in the convenience menu, go to "External lights" and turn them off.

The center vents are always cold air only, and should be fine when set to auto

Daeths

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T212 facelift, 2013. A few toys including pan roof, 19" rims, Harmon Kardon, nappa, privacy glass.
Do the other vents chuff out plenty of air on full ? re the vents, if not I would check the cabin filter to ensure it is not blocked

If not check the cabin filter. On my E210 it was passenger footwell under the dash on the far left. From memory single screw to undo cover and then pull it out (Pulled mine out with half a bucket of mashed leaves which explained why my blowers were pushing out restricted air.

Hope this helps

OP
E

esterill

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick responses guys. I'll certainly check the cabin filter - I obviously hadn't got to that bit in the instruction book yet :) I suppose the light from the mirror is for map reading etc. Nice touch but looks a bit ineffective.

OP
E

esterill

Reaction score
Is the convenience menu the one labelled 'Individual Settings' in the manual? I have this but no headlamp options. I guess the feature isn't on an 02 car...

Daeths

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T212 facelift, 2013. A few toys including pan roof, 19" rims, Harmon Kardon, nappa, privacy glass.
I'm not sure if this is a standard option on the 210. I did not have it on my 320 Avantgarde, but do as standard on my 211.

The little light is one of many you will find over the next few weeks of ownership. they are in the footwells back and front under the mirror and a few other places I cannot recall. They are not to give you reading quality light but as said previously to provide ambient lighting and a better cabin 'feel' than the pitchblack you would otherwise get.

It's a nice feature IMO

OP
E

esterill

Reaction score
Yeah, I had a good look yesterday. There is definitely no convenience menu. That's no real problem. I switched the auto door lock on and had another play with the climate control. Everything works but there is restricted air flow so I reckon the filters are blocked. I will sort that at the weekend. I also checked the car kit (old style nokia handset) which, unfortunately, has a broken pin preventing the phone from connecting to the car. Not really an issue but I will try repairing it sometime. You're right about the lights - they are everywhere. The vanity mirror lights are flakey and the boot lid light is not working at all. I am going to test them all and clean contacts etc.

Thanks for all your help and advice.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Thanks for the quick responses guys. I'll certainly check the cabin filter - I obviously hadn't got to that bit in the instruction book yet :) I suppose the light from the mirror is for map reading etc. Nice touch but looks a bit ineffective.
It is part of the interior lighting package, you will also have small LEDs over each door handle and lights in each footwell. When driving at night you will notice that you can see everything inside the car but without any glare it is one of the touches that I love about Mercedes.
You will have map reading lights as well they are individually switched from the over head console. There are reading lights in the rear which are also placed not to distract the driver.
I'm guessing that yours is a very late 210 rather than an early 211.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
It is part of the interior lighting package, you will also have small LEDs over each door handle and lights in each footwell. When driving at night you will notice that you can see everything inside the car but without any glare it is one of the touches that I love about Mercedes.
You will have map reading lights as well they are individually switched from the over head console. There are reading lights in the rear which are also placed not to distract the driver.
I'm guessing that yours is a very late 210 rather than an early 211.

I believe the first W 211 estates would have been 03/03 at the earliest.

OP
E

esterill

Reaction score
Blobcat and Alex, that makes sense. I believe it is a W210 and it was apparently one of the last (so quite well loaded). I hadn't noticed the door handle lights but you are right about the others. I love the fade down effect as well.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Blobcat and Alex, that makes sense. I believe it is a W210 and it was apparently one of the last (so quite well loaded). I hadn't noticed the door handle lights but you are right about the others. I love the fade down effect as well.

Thanks for that,,and no menu in a 210,,something less to go wrong :D:D I well appointed 210 is a great all round car

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Second that Malc .......Mines a 2000 "V" plate (As you know) but AWESOME CAR!!!!!!!!

They are cars that fit into my time frame as well appointed comfortable cars. newer is not better in all cases, by a long way,,I may get one soon to replace the V70R

OP
E

esterill

Reaction score
I spoke to the dealer today (WDM in Perry Barr) and they are going to sort the filters for me. They also said they'd have a look at the auto lights issue - they seemed to think it will still be possible but 'it does depend upon the options originally on the car'.

OP
E

esterill

Reaction score
An update on my new (well, new to me) E220 CDI Estate W210. I had the cabin filters changed and all is blowing well. The only remaining issue is the driver seat heater not working. I will be following all the advice on this forum to sort that out but it is not a big deal. Thanks to all of you.

I have one very trivial question: On the fuel gauge, there is what looks like a yellow LED just below the needle pivot. Anyone have any ideas what it is? There is no mention of it in the handbook so I assume it is a blank or unused thing.

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
it's a light sensor

so when you have your lights on, the dashboard lightingis at the appropriate contrast for the prevailing interior lighting level. Don't you just love those Mercedes engineers.
Wait until your test the self-levelling suspension, you'll think you are in some kind of technological dreamland.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
An update on my new (well, new to me) E220 CDI Estate W210. I had the cabin filters changed and all is blowing well. The only remaining issue is the driver seat heater not working. I will be following all the advice on this forum to sort that out but it is not a big deal. Thanks to all of you.

I have one very trivial question: On the fuel gauge, there is what looks like a yellow LED just below the needle pivot. Anyone have any ideas what it is? There is no mention of it in the handbook so I assume it is a blank or unused thing.

Could it be the low fuel warning light? Does it light up when you turn on the ignition and go out when the engine fires up?

If so, then it won't come on again unless you get down to the last few litres in the tank - usually about enough for 100 kms, or 60 miles @ cruising speed.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Could it be the low fuel warning light? Does it light up when you turn on the ignition and go out when the engine fires up?

If so, then it won't come on again unless you get down to the last few litres in the tank - usually about enough for 100 kms, or 60 miles @ cruising speed.

It is the ambient light sensor, it is only by the fuel gauge and not in it

OP
E

esterill

Reaction score
Wait until your test the self-levelling suspension, you'll think you are in some kind of technological dreamland.

Sounds great! I did put a heavy load in there the other day but it probably wasn't heavy enough. When you say 'test' is that what you mean or is there another way?

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom