New to me w211 e320cdi estate questions

jonviola

Reaction score
Hi,

Just bought a lovely 2003 (53 plate) w211 Avantgarde E320cdi estate. Really pleased with it- such a step forward from the w210 I had before.

It drives well with no issues really apart from needing a new thermostat.

However!

There is an intermittent clonk coming from the steering somewhere. I've had the car laser 4 wheel aligned and alls fine. The bushes seem fine and there are no noises other than when you turn from lock to lock. Anyone had any experience if this or got any suggestions?

I've done a lot of reading on here but my harmon kardon system won't go into the hidden engineering mode to make it play dvd's on the move....

The TV tuner won't find any stations at all. Is it analogue only or am I missing something?

Been looking for the 3.5mm jack in the glovebox but no success. I'm assuming that's in the roof of the glovebox or am I wrong?

My car seems to have a reversing camera fitted but no output on the screen. I'd dig out a blank yellow phono wire next to the sat nav in the boot. Any suggestions?

The footwell puddle lights aren't working anyone know the bulb spec? (My car didn't come with a handbook sorry!)

One last thing- my car is missing its engine under tray and also one half of its cover. Where would I get one from?

I guess in the long run I'll be after a tuning box or remap but the indicated 46 mpg over 300 miles on the run home seems good to me.

Cheers

Jon

Last edited:

Troon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A big one
Hi,
There is an intermittent clonk coming from the steering somewhere. I've had the car laser 4 wheel aligned and alls fine. The bushes seem fine and there are no noises other than when you turn from lock to lock. Anyone had any experience if this or got any suggestions?

Ball joints? They last about 80-100k miles usually.

I've done a lot of reading on here but my harmon kardon system won't go into the hidden engineering mode to make it play dvd's on the move....

Good. Don't do that.

The TV tuner won't find any stations at all. Is it analogue only or am I missing something?

Yes, analogue only. No good to you now, I'm afraid.

Been looking for the 3.5mm jack in the glovebox but no success. I'm assuming that's in the roof of the glovebox or am I wrong?

Is it the full COMAND nav system? That's the only one with the socket. Yes, it should be in the top front of the glovebox. It may have been removed in the past if an iPod kit was fitted...?

One last thing- my car is missing its engine under tray and also one half of its cover. Where would I get one from?

Your local friendly MB dealer. Some parts are surprisingly inexpensive. If you post your VIN we can get part numbers for you.

Last edited:

gizze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
5 Series Touring + 911 Carrera 4

Yeah ball joints would be my guess too, even if they are not clonking they will be shot.

Do roll bar bushes and drop links at the same time, will cost around £50 to do these or £100 if getting a garage to swap them.

OP
J

jonviola

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies. Much appreciated.

The DVD thing was just for the kids obviously!! I would never want to look at anything other than the road ahead.

The sound only happens intermittently and only when you turn the steering wheel not when you drive normally- does this add up? Top ball joints or bottom?

Is there a kit I can use to plug a reversing camera into command?

Have found the iPod plug it had fallen out....

Thanks again- really loving the car!

Top Bottom