New to the forum

ivorthedj

Reaction score
Hi everyone and thanks for a great forum.:p

A quick question, i have an A150 which is on a contract for another year and although at first i wasn't happy with it, its practical and has a great interior.

When i come to replace this i may stick wth an "A" but are the diesels a much better drive than the petrol and also are the auto gearboxes better than the manual which i find to be a little "crunchy" although no problems reported by the main agent when tested.

Thanks for listening

Andy

JEZ.S320L

Reaction score
Website
www.latorreonline.es
Your Mercedes
Lincoln Navigator and a S320L Business Edition
Hi everyone and thanks for a great forum.:p

A quick question, i have an A150 which is on a contract for another year and although at first i wasn't happy with it, its practical and has a great interior.

When i come to replace this i may stick wth an "A" but are the diesels a much better drive than the petrol and also are the auto gearboxes better than the manual which i find to be a little "crunchy" although no problems reported by the main agent when tested.

Thanks for listening

Andy

Hello - and welcome to the forum.

Someone will be along soon who knows all about the 'A'

Sam.slc

Reaction score
Hi Andy

Last year I bought an A180 CDI. It is mainly driven around by the wife and has a wonderful Semi auto CVT gearbox. It is nippy and great in town. The new A Class is very roomy and fine over distance, driving it feels like a proper Merc. Personally I prefer it to a C Class.

Sam

mercmadjim

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK230k
Hi Andy, welcome to the forum, I have a C class 1.8 petrol automatic, it averages 33mpg and is as smooth as silk and a joy to drive, from what I can gather, Merc could not build a decent manual box, and they are all crunchy, and generally not nice, but their auto box's are super.

OP
I

ivorthedj

Reaction score
Thanks for the info..interesing how you have found the manual to be poor...i agree though its a great car especially for transporting bikes.

So what should i go for next? the 160 or 180 or 200?

Thoughts please...

Thanks again

Andy:cool:

PJayUK

Reaction score
I am looking for a new car for my Mrs to replace the piece of Japanese rubbish that she has now. She liked the A Class but it was just a tad too small so the BClass is top of the list at the moment. The 2Litre Diesel drives very very well and is the favourite currently!

Welcome to the forum mate, you'll find the answers to all your questions here I am sure!

OP
I

ivorthedj

Reaction score
Hmmm that was my other thought..the B class.Whats everyones views?

Andy

PJayUK

Reaction score
Drove one the other day, we loved it it had all the qualities that we need for a family car. We have 2 young kids and it has the right space and layout. At the end of the day we have the SClass for when we fancy travelling in a little more style!

The W245 was very nice!

OP
I

ivorthedj

Reaction score
Ok i'm starting to get some ideas here...next question is diesels vs the petrol models. What do you think?

Andy

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Hmmm that was my other thought..the B class.Whats everyones views? Andy

I had a B Class manual as a hire car in Spain. In spite of the fact it had the steering wheel on the left and manual gears, I enjoyed it from the outset. Feels to be quite a wide car and has lots of elbow room inside and very versatile seating arrangements. Petrol engine gave mid 30s mpg equiv.

A180 Dream

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A180 Avantgarde SE Blue EFFICIENCY (1.7 Petrol)
I ordered my new A170 Avantgarde Blue EFFICIENCY (Petrol) on Thursday afternoon.
The Specification that I want has to be factory built so I cannot take delivery at least until late July or early August (15 weeks).............Worth the wait to get what I want!

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Here's one link: -
http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=48220

My family are fans of the A class (and the B class) I have owned both. My wife had an A180cdi Avantgarde Auto which we drove to Spain and back during a two week motoring holiday. Most impressed. See these links: -
http://mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=45064
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=42833 http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=43044
I had an A180cdi Elegance automatic for a year and my brother has an A160cdi manual. My eldest daughter has an A180cdi Avantgarde manual.

So we've tried most. I would definitely go for the diesel and the auto. It is a CVT box and as smooth as an S class. Try it and be amazed as I was. And it pulls 40 mph per thousand revs so cruising is quiet and relaxed at 2000 revs or less. The ample torque of the diesel suits the auto box well and gives lots of oomph for little effort. For my taste the 180 diesel is just right for the A class and the 200cdi suits the B class. Performance and fuel economy is almost identical to the manual versions.

A versus B class: -
A class has as much legroom front and rear as my E class. Great. And quite a good boot.

The B class has as much legroom front and rear as the standard S class and on MB's own figures the boot is almost exactly the same size too. My wife called it an S class you can park. Superb family car. Space in abundance with sensible length for parking. Better, smoother and quieter ride than the A class.

BUT the B class is about £5k dearer. If you need the extra that it gives, it is worth the money. If not, the A is a good buy.

The A is best with the comfort seats option (£80) and the steering column adjustable for rake and reach (at only £115) makes for a perfect driving position. Standard on the B class.

The Sports suspension on both the A and the B gives an overly harsh ride for most tastes as many reviewers have mentioned. The standard ride has adaptive damping and firms up the quicker you drive. Plenty firm enough. Standard wheels give the best ride and fuel economy.

Last edited:

Sam.slc

Reaction score
CDI anyday!

As I said earlier My wife has an A 180 CDI engine. Merc seem to really have hit the spot at the moment with Diesels, smooth engineering and great torque as well. I can't speak highly of them. Take a test drive and see how they both suit you.

Sam

OP
I

ivorthedj

Reaction score
Thanks for your help everyone.looks like the diesel is king then..best get a test drive..

:D

Andy

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom