New years resolution? (Car related)

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dreaming of a CL55k - one day maybe....
Thinking about buying a rangerover sport as a daily so i can keep the eclass for weekends. My eclass has only done 66k and i need something thats good to drive over the winter months because i have had a few brown pants moments over the last few weeks with the merc.

Remember the famous quote.....

Those who want to travel to the darkest parts of the wilderness buy a Landrover or Range Rover......

......those who want to come back out again buy a Toyota Landcruiser.

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
Remember the famous quote.....

Those who want to travel to the darkest parts of the wilderness buy a Landrover or Range Rover......

......those who want to come back out again buy a Toyota Landcruiser.
In the current climate I am not too sure I would want to come out again..

Mercedes SL500 R231

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
Aye right mate!!

I shall not buy anymore cars, I shall not buy anymore cars, I shall not buy anymore cars, I shall.........................:(

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

As I try to read this in my straight jacket :(:(:(

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
I'm thinking about getting CLS mapped! :shock:
It's fast enough for me but I would like a bit more economy ( and no DPF!)

worldbiker

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1996 SL320
Bentley Azure a nice blend of classic and convertible to replace the Turbo R?

Mercedes SL500 R231

I would agree on the Bentley Azure BUT...

As I've found over the years, if you want to own a decent car then you need to own a very decent mechanic. After many years my Bentley and RR mechanic is retiring and I can't be bothered to find and train a new one.

And my Merc mechanic, when I mentioned the R231, said that it would compare badly against the R129 and not to bother.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
BMW R1200 GS Adventure
BMW R1200C Cruiser
Honda CBR1100XX
1954 BSA 350 Gold Star

I had a 500 Goldie as a youth and I loved that bike even though it slowly dis-mantled itself as you rode it at it refused to start when hot :rolleyes::)

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
I would agree on the Bentley Azure BUT...

As I've found over the years, if you want to own a decent car then you need to own a very decent mechanic. After many years my Bentley and RR mechanic is retiring and I can't be bothered to find and train a new one.

And my Merc mechanic, when I mentioned the R231, said that it would compare badly against the R129 and not to bother.
I strongly suggest you test drive a R231 preferably in V8 guise, comparing it unfavourably to a R129 is akin to comparing a Jaguar F-type to a Jaguar XJS, different cars from different eras.

I know what you mean about RR mechanics though, definitely a pre-requisite of ownership!

I turned down an Azure light blue metallic with only 17000 genuine miles from new kept in an aircon garage only driven by chauffeurs, price £100k below new worst mistake of my life (had young children at the time and priorities were anywhere but my personal enjoyment.....

Mercedes SL500 R231

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom