Newbie Merc owner with a heavy, squeaky steering on my 1988 W124 260E

Gadgeteer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 260E 1988
Greetings from Manila, Philippines!

I recently acquired a 1998 W124 260E. It's a nice car with great body and interiors. However it does have mechanical concerns.

The steering feels heavy and stiff and there is a loud squeaky sound somewhere under the car when i turn the wheels.

I read that you can adjust the steering box when the play on the steering wheel is big, but that doing so would also make the steering stiffer and heavier. I don't know if the previous owner made any such adjustment. The mechanic i spoke to said the play on the steering wheel was just right.

Could this be a problem with the steering box or any other part of the steering system? Ball joints, tie rod ends?

Your expert advise would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks and cheers!

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
I would say that one or both of your lower ball joints are seized. Get them changed ASAP as the can snap at any time. I wouldn't drive till changed.

Last edited:

stwat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1989 300SE
That sounds like a seized lower ball joint. Get them checked and changed ASAP as they can pop out !

wireman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
nice 201 2.5D 1993 & very nice 129 SL500 1994
Definately lower ball joints.

Do not make the mistake of using non MB ball joints, I had one side replaced and it lasted some 60,000 miles then failed all loose and sloppy, I recently replaced both sides with genuine parts and performed a cut up and see post mortem on the old ones, the pirate part was in very poor shape its plastic liner was completely worn, the original at least 220,000 mile MB one was still in good usable order.

Do not play about with the steering box without the proper instructions and tools.

Save a tenner and pay the price if you wish, MB charged me 24 quid each for the ball joints, I also replaced the pinch bolts on the bottom of the strut since they were somewhat tatty and have to be removed to change the joint.

Good luck with the car, I hope you get as much pleasure from it as I have had from mine, its cost me about £2500 to buy and keep running(+fuel and insurance) for 150,000 miles.

Last edited:

DIYMAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E270cdi/53 plate/2.7l 5cyl.
Do not delay change the ball joints, they can snap off anytime soon.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom