Newbie - W123 diesel question

Bernie

New Registration
Reaction score
Morning all,

I'm new here and looking into buying a W123 diesel as my new job will involve vast milage at my fuel cost. Someone I know recommended a W123 230D as they "go forever and are cheap to run"

Now he's been wrong before, I have the wrecks collecting weeds in my garden/driveway to prove it. But is he right this time?

Will be doing 140 miles a day on A47 (P'boro to Leicester) so its hilly and my current car is not up to the job anymore. Wants to be comfortable and a bit of character which is what attracted me to the W123.

So what mpg do they do on a run and whats this about running on Rapeseed Oil??

Thanks for the input

Bernie

ddentrec

Reaction score
W123 diesels are long-lived. But it is all down to the servicing they have had and many have been used as taxis, both 240 and 300 versions.

Most of the good, genuine ones are gone or attract serious money.

Go for a 250K miler with at least 6 months MOT-expect between 30 and 45 mpg. Note that these cars are dog slow--only around 80 bhp on the 300D!! Pay no more than £400.

If the car then fails the MOT you will be able to sell the car on eBay for the same money you paid as W123 parts are in demand.

eBay currently have a 300D W123 saloon with 404,000 miles for sale....99p!!

Silver Arrow

Reaction score
Dog slow indeed!

I had a 240D for years (Second owner) serviced regularly 3000 miles or 6 months.

It would cruise all day at 80 or even 90 where needed and legal.

Only used proper oil and diesel.

It did have a somewhat leisurly approach to acceleration.

As to £400, you get what you pay for.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom