Newish member - New addition with pics CLS 500

Charlie R6VED

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Will be buying a CLS 500
Good Morning/Afternoon/Night (depending when you get this)

I joined a while ago to do my research and have just bought a 2005 CLS 500, having moved over from a 2002 Audi TT Roadster it is quite a change :)

I have a few questions which I hope you may be able to help with and I apologise profusely if I am asking common questions, I know how annoying that can be so please bear with me.

I have a few issues with the car which i could do with resolving.

1) The keyless go button on the gearknob does not work? any ideas what may be causing this - fuse, broken wire, something more onerous?

2) The drivers door keyless entry does not work (drivers door only) so I am assuming this is the common issue and requires a new handle - can anyone confirm if the handle needs coding once fitted as I am being quoted £70 for that and they aren't 100% sure it needs doing.

3) There is a bit of a whining noise from the front of the car and it appears to be cyclical, my first thought was leaking strut and the compressor compensating, but I get no warning notices and the compressor and relay were changed 2 years ago.

The car is a 55 plate and has a full Mercedes Service History and isn't due a service for another 9k.

The car cost £72k new and has £12k worth of extras fitted including:

Bi-xenons, phone prep, AMG bodykit, 19' AMG wheels and AMG exhaust trims, electric roller blind, power boot, multi contour seats, Comand/tv/dvd/sat nav, distronic cruise control, Designo dash, gearknob and steering wheel, Designo special order blue/purple paintwork, power fold mirrors, sunroof, TPMS and much more :)

The car has been fitted with a 2012 AMG single slat grille and has been lowered by computer, which makes it sit beautifully on the lowest setting.

468.jpg

467.jpg

466.jpg

465.jpg

Any help would be much appreciated.

Charlie

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hello and welcome, the car really needs to go on STAR to see if the gear shifts can be activated, it requires the 2 keys to be in the car and then STAR will find them and check the coding and re code if need be.

It is often the door handle where the rubber button splits, but it could be the door module, so if the rubber is split then that will be that on.

Your car looks so nice, you have herts merx in Letchworth or maybe member Jib can pop it on STAR for you

Devonian

Reaction score
Just changed the handle on mine for the same problem ( though it would still start from the button) no coding needed and an easy job to do. On mine you could tell it was the button as you could hear water and air swishing so clearly the rubber had split

JonnyCJ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350 Grand Edition 2011, ML350 Sport 2010, VW Splitscreen 1965
You've been quoted £70 for a replacement keyless go handle ? Sounds very cheap ! They're usually £200 or so from memory. Who's the supplier ?

Might sound weird, but try pushing the gear knob down using the outer bit (I.e not the button !) could just be that it's been off and not pushed on properly. There's a couple of pins that locate the knob on to the lever and if they haven't been pushed on far enough or at the correct location then you won't have keyless go. In fact, ensure that it is perfectly central before pushing down or else you may damage the pins.

On a final note, the rear wheels seem to sit in a bit. Could be with the lowering, but the rears should be 9.5j with 275 - 295 width tyres. Also check the ET, which is the offset. It should be 28 ET.

Cheers

Jonny

OP
C

Charlie R6VED

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Will be buying a CLS 500
Thanks for the replies, sorry rereading my post it is a little unclear, the £70 referred to the possible need for re-coding once the new handle was fitted, the handle was quoted at £166+VAT and fitting at £37.50 + VAT.

The fact that they didn't know if it was going to need coding put me off using them.

The tyres on the back are 285/35/19 and I agree they do sit in a bit, the rears are definitely wider and they have a slightly concave face in comparison to the fronts which are more flat faced and run 255/35/19 tyres. I may space them out a bit.

I will investigate the push button starter, any chance it is a fuse? I noticed a thread somewhere mentioning the possibility of a broken wire?

Charlie

paddymccdrc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS320 AMG & Brabus
My wheels also sit in like that!

Any idea what computer setup is lowering the car?

AUDIO GUY

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 CLS 320CDI Kleemann
Same wheels here. Sit exactly the same. Have considered spacers to push them out a little but as the car is lowered I´m worried about rubbing. And I don´t want to get into camber adjustment. Nice car btw.

A

andy@pcd-ltd

The handle will not need coding in it is just plug and play.

A quick star test might point out what is wrong with the gear knob as you can check actual values on it.

It might be the pins inside the knob itself as i have seen people twist these to get them off and it snaps the pins off.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Good point by Andy on the pins in the knob, they are tiny, and as he says, no coding for the handle

Mcobinad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 Designo Black paint, R500 W251, CL600 W216
Nice one!

Hello & welcome to the forum. What a beautiful 'DESIGNO' CLS you bought.
thumbup.gif
Sorry to hear about the imminent issues with the car. Have you managed to get them resolved?

BTW, you now have a CLS, so think of updating your avatar. Once again welcome from me.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom