No push start button ?

Stevie remo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 C class 250 Amg line premium plus
Hi all
I recently purchased a 2016 c class 250 amg line premium + coupe
It has no start button and needs to be started with the key
Is this normal ? Or is it possible to get a start button ?

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Does your car come equipped with Keyless start/entry?

If it does, you can get a start button from the dealers (£30+) or far cheaper from eBay

To check you have keyless start. enter your full 17digit Vin# without spaces into this website and look for Option Code 889 which is the code for Keyless Go.

OP
S

Stevie remo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Does your car come equipped with Keyless start/entry?

If it does, you can get a start button from the dealers (£30+) or far cheaper from eBay

To check you have keyless start. enter your full 17digit Vin# without spaces into this website and look for Option Code 889 which is the code for Keyless Go.
Bought one … thanx

OP
S

Stevie remo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If that happens , can’t you just go
When your keyless start button fails to "talk" to your box under the dash, you'll wish you had stayed with a normal key. Happens and is exxy to fix!!
back to using your key ?

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Me -2019 GLC 350 coupe AMG line. Mrs- ford kuga 65 plate awd powershift .
I bought one and used it for a few days . I like to know where my keys are,so gave up on it .

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
With all of the security issues around Keyless-Go nowadays, I'm not sure if I would go back to owning a car with it.

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
With all of the security issues around Keyless-Go nowadays, I'm not sure if I would go back to owning a car with it.
I'd think it's easier to steal with a button. But thieves will probably turn up with a button anyways. I always double lock now to turn keyless off.

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sold - 2021 CLA 35 Premium.
I bought one and used it for a few days .
I like to know where my keys are,so gave up on it .
First of all I have to admit I am struggling to understand this thread because a vehicle is manufactured with either has a push button start or a traditional ignition barrel with a key start, but it does not have both...or at least not any car I have ever owned.

I have always kept my key fob for my keyless cars in my pocket. I do not understand people that take the fob out of their pocket then place it inside the car somewhere, because this somewhat defeats the purpose of having a keyless system in the first place. :confused:

OP
S

Stevie remo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
First of all I have to admit I am struggling to understand this thread because a vehicle is manufactured with either has a push button start or a traditional ignition barrel with a key start, but it does not have both...or at least not any car I have ever owned.

I have always kept my key fob for my keyless cars in my pocket. I do not understand people that take the fob out of their pocket then place it inside the car somewhere, because this somewhat defeats the purpose of having a keyless system in the first place. :confused:
Think you may have understood or your car is newer
This is a 16 plate c class
There’s no fob , just a key
But you can get a button to put where the key goes instead of using your keys

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Think you may have understood or your car is newer
This is a 16 plate c class
There’s no fob , just a key
But you can get a button to put where the key goes instead of using your keys
Yes this is completely new to me.
My first car with a push button start was back in 2012 and there was no key, other than the emergency blade key contained within the fob.
5 out of 6 subsequent cars from 3 different manufacturers were fully keyless.

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Keyless go with a starter key can be retro fitted with a push start button. So you use either or .

Last edited:

zedmeister

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK C208/2002/3.2, C Class S205/2019/220d, E class cab A124/1996/2.2
There is a big difference between keyless go and keyless entry. The ones that can be stolen easily have keyless entry. The signal is picked up remotely using a computer and then the car is unlocked. It can also be driven away as the laptop forms the key so the car thinks the key is present. If you only have keyless go however, it is much harder to gain access to the car as you can't simply touch the handle to unlock it as will keyless entry.

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
There is a big difference between keyless go and keyless entry.
Yes this is true.
I believe only older cars have a push button start without keyless entry, with all modern systems being fully keyless.
I appreciate the OP said his car is from 2016, but even then it was surely quite rare to only have a basic push button start without keyless entry.

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
I remember when we just had an ignition barrel and a metal key. Anybody else remember those days ?

zedmeister

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK C208/2002/3.2, C Class S205/2019/220d, E class cab A124/1996/2.2
Yes this is true.
I believe only older cars have a push button start without keyless entry, with all modern systems being fully keyless.
I appreciate the OP said his car is from 2016, but even then it was surely quite rare to only have a basic push button start without keyless entry.
I have 2019 C220d and it has only keyless start. I think all the entry level mercs come with keyless start only. You have to get premium or premium plus to get keyless entry.

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I remember when we just had an ignition barrel and a metal key. Anybody else remember those days ?

Yes my Datsun 140j had one of those

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
If that happens , can’t you just go

back to using your key ?
Yes. The key will always work.
When I bought my E63, it was advertised as having keyless go/entry.
I was surprised to see the key in the ignition instead of the start button and asked the dealer to get one. Very often people take the start button out for security and use the key, making the option useless.
All they need to do to disable the keyless operation for security is to double click the lock button on the fob. Next time keyless entry wont work by touching the door handle and you need to use the fob to open the car. Doing this ensures the key is not sending and receiving signals and makes intercepting the signal impossible for would be thieves.
Keyless gets a lot of bad press, but if used properly and the key placed in a faraday pouch at night, key cloning is impossible. The latest models are even more clever and the key goes to "sleep" after a certain period so again no signals to intercept.

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
I use the double click method too with my Mercedes, but just to make people aware, other manufacturers do not follow the same procedure. The wifes Nissan when double clicked still allows you to open the doors when the key is in proximity to the car.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom