No rear lights or interior lights.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I wonder if a pre fuse has failed, this could be a reason, I will get the wiring diagram printed off and you can check to see if correct voltage going in.

OP
L

littlewimp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E 55 Amg
Thanks Malcolm . I have also noticed that I still have soft close on the rear doors but nothing on the front, so that's no interior lights,
no rear lights at all including indicators on door mirrors,
no sunroof operation,
no automatic lights,
no front seat electrics,
no door mirror controls,
no rear trunk operation,
and the list goes on.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You should have the diagram now :D On the list you can see everything that is on the rear sam. Best to print off and sello tape together, then easy to read.

You can see where to measure voltages and all wire colours are there.

OP
L

littlewimp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E 55 Amg
Good News, just been checking the voltages on the rear sam unit after kindly receiving the info from Malcolm and found a reading of 8.5 volts but not constant so I started to think about earths so removed the rear boot trim panel and found the main earth point to be not that tight. so removed lugs cleaned them up and re tightened .and Yes we have operation . I feel lightly stupid not to have checked this before . it looks like when the car has had some accident repairs done to the rear panel the earths had been removed and re tightened fully when re assembled , so not a fault of Mercedes . I have run through most operations and the only thing I cant seem to get are any functions from the drivers door ie boot operation/ power windows / mirrors etc. however I am feeling happy and thank everyone especially Malcolm in helping me diagnose the problem. just some more info on non operating door controls and I will be ecstatic. !
Thanks Neil.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Good we are getting somewhere, with the right details the rest should be Ok to sort out.

What are we left with now to sort out.

OP
L

littlewimp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E 55 Amg
The only fault I'm left with Malcolm is drivers door with no operation of anything, obviously you were correct with the faulty rear sam unit but I didn't think about it being caused from a reduced supply voltage. Would I be correct in thinking that if certain units were not getting the correct voltage caused from the bad earth then they mightn't go to sleep thus causing the battery drain problem ? So just the door control Malcolm, what are your thoughts I've checked the relevant fuse on the rear box and its fine.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The door ECU I would think, if nothing works and the fuse is OK ,this is known as the N69/1. The 215 is the car that gets broken wires in the hinge area, not the 220, but you never know. If you have 12volt going to the N69/1 on the plug then the N69/1.

With that bad earth, the car might not have been sleeping at all

OP
L

littlewimp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E 55 Amg
Ok Malcolm, I've checked fuse 66 in the rear fuse box so I suppose it would pay me to remove the front door panel and check for voltage at the unit, I'm guessing that the door panel will be removed in a very similar way to the rear one which you kindly sent me the information on that some time ago I will hopefully find time to have a look tomorrow so could you possibly tell me the cable colour that I need to check on the plug. One think I did notice is that I have soft close working on the other three doors but not on drivers would this be run through the ecu also? Thanks in advance Neil.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ok Malcolm, I've checked fuse 66 in the rear fuse box so I suppose it would pay me to remove the front door panel and check for voltage at the unit, I'm guessing that the door panel will be removed in a very similar way to the rear one which you kindly sent me the information on that some time ago I will hopefully find time to have a look tomorrow so could you possibly tell me the cable colour that I need to check on the plug. One think I did notice is that I have soft close working on the other three doors but not on drivers would this be run through the ecu also? Thanks in advance Neil.

If the car does not know that the door is open or closed then no soft closing either. I will send door liner details.

You must take car with the door liner off as often the door pin switch will not work, I think the pin switch is just under the lock keep on B pillar.

You are looking at the wrong fuse, should be F39 or 13

OP
L

littlewimp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E 55 Amg
Thanks Malcolm. That was an easy fix it was Fuse 39 , I checked the fuse for the seat adjustment control unit, so hopefully I can reassemble everything get the vacuum cleaner and polish out and be back on the road. my faith is now restored with Mercedes.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks Malcolm. That was an easy fix it was Fuse 39 , I checked the fuse for the seat adjustment control unit, so hopefully I can reassemble everything get the vacuum cleaner and polish out and be back on the road. my faith is now restored with Mercedes.

Another happy member :D:D

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
And dont forget faith with television , i think he should have three cheers ..Malcome ,, i bet you, your thank you jar is full and flowing over. Thumbs up ..

OP
L

littlewimp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E 55 Amg
I Cant thank Malcolm enough Dreamer NO 2 he definitely gets a big thumbs up from me .

Top Bottom