Oil in Cooling system, help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary

Reaction score
I have a 1992 K-reg 300E, and I ahve found some oil in my cooling system, I think is causing by the head gasket leak, but will it be the cylinder head crack? or any things else?

Lori

Reaction score
Just a thought- and I might be way off mark here..but a number of Mercedes have an oil cooler integral within the radiator- might be worth checking. Is there any 'mayonnaise' to the oil filler cap? You can also get a test done via the raditor cap that analyses the gases within the cooling system- this will tell you if it's head gasket.
Hope this helps a bit

Andy

Reaction score
Website
www.mercedesservicing.com
Hiya Gary
Sorry to hear of your oil in the water. It is almost certain that the head gasket is leaking. It is very very doubtfull if the head itself is cracked. If it is. It will be the first one I have heard of since they first brought them out back in 87, and I've been working on them since then.

You'll be supprised to know that the cause is usually due to lack of changes in ANTI-FREEZE. If you look in the service book it tells you to change it every 3-4yrs. I won't bore you with why it does this.

If you require a quote for this work. Contact me @ www.mercedesservicing.com

OP
G

Gary

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, and is very helpful. but if there is the oil cooler integral within the radiator, where should it be? on the bottom of the radiator??

Andy

Reaction score
Website
www.mercedesservicing.com
Hi yaGary,

Only if the oil in the radiator is a milky pink colour. Will have any thing to do with the radiator. As the oil cooler for the gear box is in the radiator. Only the 300E 24V has an oil cooler for the engine. This runs completly seperate to the cooling system.

Sorry Gary.
Back to to the head gasket I'm afraid.

Regards
Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom